Verb 16X +R 100 Packs at Newegg $18.99AR Free Shipping

Link

First post. Took a chance and ordered this today. Looked too good to pass up with the rebate and free shipping. The down side is numerous customer reviews about problems with Verbatium rebates and no indication of where these DVD’s are made. The last time I bought a 100 pack of these was when Office Depot had them for $22.99 several months ago. They were 2006, MIT and the best quality I’ve ever seen. Hope these are the same or close. The rebate runs thru 12/31 but don’t know how long the free shipping lasts. Will advise if ordering these without seeing the package was a mistake or not.

Hate rebates!

big item, peeps would do the rebates
but c’mmon, rebates for media??? who would want to go through the hassle.

Still free shipping but price has gone up to $23.99 AR. I’m not a fan of rebates either but tend to look at them as a challenge.

My order should be delivered tomorrow. Will burn a couple and post the result.

Ordered these from NewEgg and also 100 from Buy.Com Monday am. Both arrived Wednesday pm. The ones from NewEgg are Prodisc (+ in hub code and sans serif Lock/Open font) and the ones from Buy,com are CMC (PAPA and serif Lock/Open) font. Both seem to burn well on the 2 burners I’ve tried them on at 16X.

Buy.com doesn’t package media well and the cake box bottom was broken but the discs were not visibly harmed. NewEgg has always bubble wrapped the media and used plenty of packing peanuts, too. Never had damaged media from NewEgg.

Got the 100 from NewEgg for $18.99 after rebate and the ones from Buy.com were $9.99 after rebate and $10 Google CheckOut bonus.

Verbatim rebates are golden - handled by RebatesHQ - never had a problem with them.

Received my shipment from Newegg. Delivered from their Memphis warehouse. Product label shows MIT 2007. Code on the hub is PAPA. Hub code is alpha-numeric only, no other characters. The font on the cake box lid is a plain [B]sans[/B]-serif. Not sure how all this determines who the mfg. is.

I purchased two Verb 50-piece +DVD cake boxes early this year, one was PAPA and the other was PAP6. Both were MIT, both had a serif font on the lid and both were relatively poor quality.

Burned two from this latest Newegg order and they came out very good with PIF under 250. Anyway, I lucked out this time. The rebate form is already in the mail.

[QUOTE=bysitter;1947817]Received my shipment from Newegg. Delivered from their Memphis warehouse. Product label shows MIT 2007. Code on the hub is PAPA. Hub code is alpha-numeric only, no other characters. The font on the cake box lid is a plain [B]sans[/B]-serif. Not sure how all this determines who the mfg. is.

I purchased two Verb 50-piece +DVD cake boxes early this year, one was PAPA and the other was PAP6. Both were MIT, both had a serif font on the lid and both were relatively poor quality.

Burned two from this latest Newegg order and they came out very good with PIF under 250. Anyway, I lucked out this time. The rebate form is already in the mail.[/QUOTE]

My order for these Verbatim 16X DVD+Rs (Media ID Code: MCC 004) from NewEgg came from the Edison, NJ warehouse, as did my last order for these, about a year ago. Both have been Prodiscs as indicated by a + near the middle of the alpha numeric hub code and both had sans-serif (plain) Lock/Open fonts on the cake box.

IIRC - there have been several threads here at CDFreaks and elsewhere speculating that the Lock/Open font can determine the manufacturer of Verbatim MIT DVD+ and - Rs - san serif (plain) font = Prodisc and serif (fancy) font = CMC.

Also, there is speculation as to the lip height on the cake box cover determining the manufacturer, but I don’t recall what the shorter or taller lips is suppose to indicate. The lip height on the cake box for the latest order from NewEgg with the Prodisc MCC 004s is about 1/8" and the lip on the cake box from Buy.com with the CMC made MCC 004s is about 3/16 to 1/4" high. The lip height on the cake box for the previous order from NewEgg with the Prodisc MCC 004s is about 3/16 to 1/4".

It should be noted too that the package labels for the newest orders from both NewEgg and Buy.com are different from previous orders. The new ones are mainly dark blue and purple, the old ones were mainly light and medium purple.

Yours are PAPA which (IIRC) means that CMC made them but your Lock/Open font is sans-serif (plain), which (IIRC) usually indicates Prodisc made them. I think the PAPA hub code probably trumps all other indicators.

Good to hear your new discs are burning well.

With the 100 packs, shorter lip is Prodisc… longer lip is CMC, either PAPA or PAP6. Hope that helps.

Not all of the CMC 100-disc cakeboxes have tall lips, but the font difference should still hold true.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1948030]Not all of the CMC 100-disc cakeboxes have tall lips, but the font difference should still hold true.[/QUOTE]

It’s hopeless. People still don’t tell us whether they’re receiving old or new design cakeboxes. That’s critical information.

Here ya go :slight_smile:

From NewEgg Memphis warehouse:

-100 pack DVD+ R

• MIT
  • Date 2007
  • Newer purple shrink wrap package
  • Open/Lock font is plain sans-serif
  • Lip is tall, about 3/8 inch
  • Hub code is PAPA
  • No characters in code except letters and numbers

Still learning here. So far so good. This is a great site!

My burners :

• Samsung SH-S203B (recent purchase)
    Favorite media - front runner is MCC004 at 16x

• LiteOn SHW-1635S (semi-retired but still use to scan)
    Favorite media - MCC004 at 12x

• Plextor PX-712A (HTPC and as a scanner)
    Favorite media - YUDEN000-T02 at 12x

Ok, here is another test. With CMC packs, there is usually a number stamped on top of the center hub of the cakebox, such as C10-1 (upside down 1), C4-2, etc. Prodisc packs do not have this number. In my experience, CMC packs that burn well for me have all had C10-1 designation. Crap CMC packs have been C10-4, and C10-3, and C4-4.

I think thats only on the 50 spindles, but I may be wrong, I never saw the 100 spindles in the new packaging.:frowning:

No, the stamped code is also on the CMC 25 and 100 packs, including the new packaging. I presume the C stands for CMC. ;

[QUOTE=negritude;1948033]It’s hopeless. People still don’t tell us whether they’re receiving old or new design cakeboxes. That’s critical information.[/QUOTE]

My post (#7) above, states: “It should be noted too that the package labels for the newest orders from both NewEgg and Buy.com are different from previous orders. The new ones are mainly dark blue and purple, the old ones were mainly light and medium purple.”

Is this what you mean by new cakebox design or is more than the label different? My old cakeboxes seem to look like the new ones, except for the labels.

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;1948338]Ok, here is another test. With CMC packs, there is usually a number stamped on top of the center hub of the cakebox, such as C10-1 (upside down 1), C4-2, etc. Prodisc packs do not have this number. In my experience, CMC packs that burn well for me have all had C10-1 designation. Crap CMC packs have been C10-4, and C10-3, and C4-4.[/QUOTE]

Where exactly is the stamped code? If it’s on the same top surface of the cakebox cover as where the Lock/Open is printed, then neither of my new packaging (dark blue and purple label) 100 disc spindles of Verbatim 16X DVD+Rs has any code stamped near the center (that I can see with a magnifying glass). Mine are CMC made (PAPA hub code) from buy.com received 12-5-2007 and Prodisc made (+ sign in the middle of the hub code) from NewEgg the same day. Lip heights are the only differences I can see (see post #7). The round paper label inserted on top of the discs is thicker on the ones from Buy.com (CMC made) if anyone is tracking that - much thinner paper stock used on the Prodisc made round label from NewEgg.

toobad – the code is right in the center of the cakebox top, on the knob that fits over the spindle. It’s been on all CMC packs I’ve seen, old and new, in my area. I guess it isn’t all that shocking there are different packaging variants. :frowning:

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;1948570]toobad – the code is right in the center of the cakebox top, on the knob that fits over the spindle. It’s been on all CMC packs I’ve seen, old and new, in my area. I guess it isn’t all that shocking there are different packaging variants. :([/QUOTE]

Nothing (no codes) on either of mine from NewEgg (Prodisc from Edison, NJ warehouse) or Buy.com (CMC from Harrisburg, PA).

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;1948570]toobad – the code is right in the center of the cakebox top, on the knob that fits over the spindle. It’s been on all CMC packs I’ve seen, old and new, in my area. I guess it isn’t all that shocking there are different packaging variants. :([/QUOTE]

I just checked my cakebox. Nearly misssed it but there is a ‘2’ stamped on the underside of the knob in the center of the top. Interesting in that it is not printed but appears to be something that was handwritten or scratched in. Visible as a ‘2’ from above. Can’t be there by accident.

Too bad this product doesn’t all come from a single factory and with uniform quality.

[QUOTE=bysitter;1948717]I just checked my cakebox. Nearly misssed it but there is a ‘2’ stamped on the underside of the knob in the center of the top. Interesting in that it is not printed but appears to be something that was handwritten or scratched in. Visible as a ‘2’ from above. Can’t be there by accident.

Too bad this product doesn’t all come from a single factory and with uniform quality.[/QUOTE]
Also, too bad their labels don’t have full disclosure/descriptions so consumers can make informed purchasing decisions. It would help Verbatim, too. They could reward manufacturers who had the highest demand and/or best customer feedback.