VeloSSD2012 and MaxSSD? Both or one?

vbimport

So i’ve been looking into trying out this software for my raid array (2x2tb seagate drives, 5900rpm, 32MB cache) and putting a 120GB or 60GB ssd on it as a cache, its not really neccesary, but i might try it out, after the release of MaxSSD, are we required to install VeloSSD2012, and then MaxSSD both under trial? can we do that with just trial licenses and get a full experience to see if we like it?

Sorry for the seemingly silly question, its probably answered somewhere on the site, but well, the site is a joke (no offense, you should be able to see that too EliteBytes)

I’m a programmer/developer, and have a partner with whom i develop profressional sites, for real businesses and companies, got an extensive portfolio, so if you guys are interested, feel free to PM…if not, please PM some one else! LOL

Once again, no offense, but seriously.

anyway, please let me know about my initial question.

[QUOTE=zak7;2709305]So i’ve been looking into trying out this software for my raid array (2x2tb seagate drives, 5900rpm, 32MB cache) and putting a 120GB or 60GB ssd on it as a cache, its not really neccesary, but i might try it out, after the release of MaxSSD, are we required to install VeloSSD2012, and then MaxSSD both under trial? can we do that with just trial licenses and get a full experience to see if we like it?

Sorry for the seemingly silly question, its probably answered somewhere on the site, but well, the site is a joke (no offense, you should be able to see that too EliteBytes)

I’m a programmer/developer, and have a partner with whom i develop profressional sites, for real businesses and companies, got an extensive portfolio, so if you guys are interested, feel free to PM…if not, please PM some one else! LOL

Once again, no offense, but seriously.

anyway, please let me know about my initial question.[/QUOTE]

VeloSSD is very stable right now, MaxVelo is still in beta. Both are excellent but if it were me I would buy VeloSSD, very fast and very stable right now, then upgrade later.

I want to upgrade my last post, I have installed MaxVelo SSD Professional on my Windows 7 64bit computer and its very stable and works great.:slight_smile:

I installed the MaxVeloSSD trial, requested a trial key, instantiated the key.
Then I clicked the “Buy MaxVeloSSD Here” link on the Info page of the task-tray icon.

That took me to the page where it shows the buying options for the “VeloSSD” software (not MaxVeloSSD, though, at least by name).

I bought a Professional ($20) license. The key email they sent says “VeloSSD 2012 Professional Edition” on it, but it seems to work to activate the MaxVeloSSD, which shows as:
“MaxVeloSSD Ver.: 2.2.0.1 Release Build Date Nov 18 2013 time 17:47:18 128 terabytes of storage limit Professional Edition - Activated retail version”

So, I guess, right now at least, they are the same thing from a license-key perspective. That could just be a beta-thing, though, and might be changed when they put out a release version of the MaxVeloSSD software.

I have both keys, a MaxVelo and a VeloSSD, they both work on each product, I never really tried to activate the other with the VeloSSD license. All I know is that they both work great for me. I am extremely impressed with the developer and his knowledge.:wink:

You have convince me to give Maxvelo a try. Will post some before/after benchmarks when I get it set up.

[QUOTE=frag999;2713278]You have convince me to give Maxvelo a try. Will post some before/after benchmarks when I get it set up.[/QUOTE]

You will not be sorry.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2713309]You will not be sorry.;)[/QUOTE]

I am not sorry (yet). I installed latest Maxvelo on a Windows 8.1 laptop last night using a trial key. It was installed on the stock 500GB spinner hdd. I ran the Anvil benchmark before and after installing Maxvelo (Alan1476: Is it too late to enter the benchmarks for a chance to win a license :rolleyes:).

After first boot, I ran the Anvil benchmark and saw a huge improvement on the benchmark but nothing remarkably different in normal usage; granted, I didn’t mess with it long enough to tell one way or another and based on reviews read on SSD caching of Windows, the performance continues to increase as the cache on the drive settles into an equilibrium of sorts after a few boots.

So, I rebooted. Second boot run: Ran the Anvil benchmark and it sped through the Read portion of the benchmark but froze up near the beginning of the writing one(Anvil not responding, etc. Couldn’t close Anvil with Task Manager). So I powered down and rebooted.

Third boot: basically same as the second boot. Then I went to bed. Are there any log files that would be useful to post related to this phenomenon?

The other thing I noticed is that the SSD cache partition (~30GB) became full and Windows notified me that it was full. I turned off this notification as I assumed that the cache should remain full. I will play with it more tonight I hope. I want this to work out!

To be honest with you I have not tried it on Windows 8.1, I use Windows 7 64bit but I have never had a problem with the new build, what kind of SSD do you have?

( and to answer your question

Contest ends 29th of November 2013

[QUOTE=alan1476;2713382]what kind of SSD do you have?[/QUOTE]

It is an older Kingston 64gb “SSDnow V100 - SV100S2” with latest firmware. I partitioned it to run a hackintosh on one half and cache drive for a 500gb spinner on the other half.

I formatted the SSD caching partition with NTFS and gave it a drive letter then pointed Maxvelo to it as the caching ssd drive and it installed flawlessly. Other than the Anvil benchmark freezing up I haven’t seen any deleterious behaviors, but it makes me wonder if something is inherently screwed up with my setup. That’s why I was wondering if there is some type of log, either for maxvelo driver or from the Anvil benchmark, I could capture to get some tech support from Elitebytes?

Day late and dollar short on the benchmark entry, thanks anyways.

Well, Maxvelo was uninstalled because it made my system unbootable - would hang at vendor logo and spinning circles before the login screen. Spinner hdd was cranking away. I installed Velossd and ran into the same issues as Maxvelo. I am chalking it up to the older Kingston V100 drive not being compatible with this type of duty. Maybe I can get another trial period with the software if I save up to buy a better ssd.

[QUOTE=frag999;2713501]Well, Maxvelo was uninstalled because it made my system unbootable - would hang at vendor logo and spinning circles before the login screen. Spinner hdd was cranking away. I installed Velossd and ran into the same issues as Maxvelo. I am chalking it up to the older Kingston V100 drive not being compatible with this type of duty. Maybe I can get another trial period with the software if I save up to buy a better ssd.[/QUOTE]

Its not your SSD, you either didn’t set the cache right or you may have had to tweak it, its not a big glitch and they will fix, I had to make a few tiny tweaks and its works perfectly, I love it.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2713503]Its not your SSD, you either didn’t set the cache right or you may have had to tweak it, its not a big glitch and they will fix, I had to make a few tiny tweaks and its works perfectly, I love it.[/QUOTE]

What kind of tweaks should I look at? I did change the cache size from the default. The software set it at 20GB of the 30GB partition and I jacked it up to 30GB on the Maxvelo install and 27GB on the Velossd install. Think this could cause a problem?

BTW, I didn’t read the User Manual for the software either. Maybe instruction manuals and my ego don’t go together :bigsmile:.

[QUOTE=frag999;2713505]What kind of tweaks should I look at? I did change the cache size from the default. The software set it at 20GB of the 30GB partition and I jacked it up to 30GB on the Maxvelo install and 27GB on the Velossd install. Think this could cause a problem?

BTW, I didn’t read the User Manual for the software either. Maybe instruction manuals and my ego don’t go together :bigsmile:.[/QUOTE]

The instruction manual would have helped you, and you have to tweak your setup a bit, just read the instruction, don’t worry whenever I build something intructions or not, I always have parts left over, you will get it and when you do, you will never look back.:wink: