VeloSSD vs Acronis TrueImage

vbimport

For three days now I am using the trial version of VeloSSD. So far it works and is speeding up my system. But when I try to backup the cached partition with Acronis TrueImage, the system stalls. The mousepointer is still moveable, but nothing else happens. Sometimes it ends up with a BSOD, in other cases, just nothing happens, meaning the mousepointer is working but nothing else.

Any idea?

Sincerly,
emchen

Dell XPS 15
Intel Core i7 2630
WDC 750GB HDD
SuperTalent CoreStore MV 64GB SSD

I, personally, a long-term Acronis user. Yet I must admit that Acronis itself is not a bug free software.
I also noticed that VeloSSD aggravates Acronis issues.
I recommend to start with upgrade of Acronis software. You may also consider disabling unnecessary Acronis features: NCB and/or backup browsing driver (Device Manager/Show hidden devices/Acronis TIB Mounter, right click, Uninstall)

I did some further tests and it seems that the driver of the mini-pcie-controller is the root of all evil, the BSODs did not depend on running VeloSSD at all.
Because the CoreStore is the only SSD running in the mini-pcie-port of this Dell XPS 15 - and obviously it is not doing well - I switched to a sshd by samsung. Although the combination with hdd and ssd was a bit faster, this now works for me and it speeds up the XPS a lot.

All my several attempts to use VeloSSD resulted in quick file system corruption. The operating systems were 7 & 8.
The only common denominator in my case is Acronis Backup (not TrueImage). Acronis was a crap several years ago, but they improved and now it is quite robust product.
Bodo, did you have time to test for compatibility with Acronis?

[QUOTE=romanshein;2750260]All my several attempts to use VeloSSD resulted in quick file system corruption. The operating systems were 7 & 8.
The only common denominator in my case is Acronis Backup (not TrueImage). Acronis was a crap several years ago, but they improved and now it is quite robust product.
Bodo, did you have time to test for compatibility with Acronis?[/QUOTE]

This might be the same problem that PrimoCache has with backup utilities. Acronis, Macrium Reflect and similar bypass the Windows disk drivers, and also bypass the VeloSSD driver. While backing up, the read buffer (SSD) quickly fills up and any attempt by the cache to throw out older blocks from the SSD cache causes synchronization issues. Possibly because the backup utility is keeping the disk volume locked. Or, possibly, because the backup utility is rewriting file timestamps via its own drivers. What exactly happens is a mystery and needs further investigation. Either you get filesystem corruption or you get a corrupt backup, which you discover only after having restored it. That’s because most backup utilities cannot detect this kind of corruption.

PrimoCache can be temporarily disabled by pushing a button before backing up. Since VeloSSD has no such option, your only choice is to remove the cache and recreate it later. I have created a small Windows partition. Booted from this extra partition, I create a backup of the main (now offline) Windows partition. This seems the only way of making a guaranteed good backup without causing corruption.

Do not expect backup utilities and disk caches to work together. By nature, they can’t. Unless caches become smart enough to know that blocks read by [one in a set of known backup utilities] shouldn’t be cached. And even this solution is not failsafe. Because VeloSSD simply has no way of knowing that other programs are messing with the disk via their own sneaky stealthy disk drivers.

I’m testing Primocache for 2 months now, it works Ok. I have no issues with system corruption.
Primocache is write-through caching only. Yet VeloSSD failed me in write-through mode too :(.
Overall VeloSSD seems to have a better caching mechanism. It is real-time (Primocache is some sort of deferred caching) & writeback, but I contstantly have corruptions :doh:

Hi,
I don´t want to interrupt this thread, respect to all contributors.
I encountered massive and repetitive file system corruptions once.
Imaging the File System to a new Hard Disk removed the problems.
What I want to say is, that the underlying hardware can be problematic.

[QUOTE=EliteBytes;2750340]Hi,
I don´t want to interrupt this thread, respect to all contributors.
I encountered massive and repetitive file system corruptions once.
Imaging the File System to a new Hard Disk removed the problems.
What I want to say is, that the underlying hardware can be problematic.[/QUOTE]

Indeed you are correct. Hardware faults are to be excluded first. Unfortunately errors often only show up when using memory- and disk intensive programs like VeloSSD. This gives the user the impression that the program is at fault. A thorough, long-term system test is advisable in case of trouble. Thanks for reminding us.

[QUOTE=Wdo;2750341]Hardware faults are to be excluded first. Unfortunately errors often only show up when using memory- and disk intensive programs like VeloSSD. [/QUOTE]
I had file system corruption on 3 different computers (Intel & AMD).
The same SSDs, which were used with VeloSSD work fine (so far) with Primocache.
Primocache is write-through only, this is of cause more safe, but speedgain is moderate. Primo is also error proof, once it detects any external disk modification (from other operating system) or BSOD it discard cache content and warm it up from the scratches.

[QUOTE=romanshein;2750414]I had file system corruption on 3 different computers (Intel & AMD).
The same SSDs, which were used with VeloSSD work fine (so far) with Primocache. [/QUOTE]

Roman, what was the latest velossd version you used in your tests ? Personnaly I can see a huge improvement since 2.1.0.8 (since it relies on Maxvelossd codebase).

[QUOTE=wchris;2750418]Roman, what was the latest velossd version you used in your tests ? Personnaly I can see a huge improvement since 2.1.0.8 (since it relies on Maxvelossd codebase).[/QUOTE]
I’ll give it a try and post back

[QUOTE=romanshein;2750421]I’ll give it a try and post back[/QUOTE]

Hi Roman :slight_smile: How’s your test going ? No news good news ?