VeloSSD much faster than MaxVeloSSD

vbimport

First I purchased a VeloSSD personal license. I was satisfied and also purchased a MaxVeloSSD license, hoping it would be even faster.

After experimenting for a week or so, I found that MaxVeloSSD has severe issues on my machine (see below for specs). Tested on Windows 8.1 Pro x64. Before installing Velo I defragged the volume and checked it using Chkdsk. Windows boot volume is on a Seagate ST4000DX001 4TB harddisk, which itself has a built-in 8GB SSD cache. This on-board cache is invisible to Velo and to the OS. Cache volume is a Corsair Force 3 60GB SSD. Also tried it on a OCZ Vertex 2.

MaxVeloSSD is very slow to load programs from disk. Possibly because it writes to the cache volume in short, slow bursts, where VeloSSD writes much faster and in larger streams. MaxVeloSSD has severe trouble loading system processes. Again it loads extremely slow, causing long delays before the desktop is usable. Monitoring the disks showed that MaxVeloSSD is also slow to read from the cache volume. It reads KB/s rather than MB/s. VeloSSD has no such issues. It loads fast and gives a pleasant, smooth experience.

As a result, using MaxVeloSSD is a pain. I’ve stopped using it and I’m now using VeloSSD again. I cannot believe that MaxVeloSSD is slower by design. So I guess the problem is caused by my particular machine (which is nothing special, just built from standard components).

Hopefully EliteBytes will investigate these issues and solve them in a future update. While you’re at it, please delay writing to the cache volume for a few seconds, the way PrimoCache does with its L2 cache. It will make loading programs from harddisk much faster, especially on el cheapo Gigabyte mainboards. Try avoiding reading from and writing to disks at the same time.

Thanks.

Can you tell us what’s the size of your RAM cache ? is it a multiple of 4K ?

Did you try a smaller RAM cache size to get closer to VELOSSD ? (basically VELOSSD if now just MAXVELOSSD with a RAM cache of 0, but maybe they added a bug with new features, did you try previous versions like 2.3.1.2).

[QUOTE=wchris;2751236]Can you tell us what’s the size of your RAM cache ? is it a multiple of 4K ?

Did you try a smaller RAM cache size to get closer to VELOSSD ? (basically VELOSSD if now just MAXVELOSSD with a RAM cache of 0, but maybe they added a bug with new features, did you try previous versions like 2.3.1.2).[/QUOTE]

Hi wchris,

I use 2 GB RAM, which is the maximum for my personal license. Indeed I use 4K alignment. Decreasing it to 384 MB (which is the minimum allowed since the radio button to turn off RAM altogether is greyed out & disabled) does indeed make it somewhat faster, but still slower than VeloSSD. Using MaxVeloSSD 2.3.1.2 and VeloSSD 2.1.1.0. I threw away my older versions so I haven’t tested these. I can’t find a newer version than 2.3.1.2 but then the Web site desperately needs a thorough overhaul. To put it mildly. Well I found MaxVeloSSD 2.3.1.5 but it’s a half-baked version showing popup developer messages in German.

Another problem I forgot to mention is that MaxVeloSSD causes exceptionally long delays while rebooting Windows. I guess it’s synchronizing disk & cache or something. Sometimes it reboots after 10-15 minutes but usually I need to press the reset button.

Also I sporadically get an error message from MaxVelo: The start of the boot disk cache failed. The cache is automatically removed.:EB000006 0 0Configured for MaxVeloSSD SSD device is missing.Contact the Elite Support Bytes: support@elitebytes.com or http://www.elitebytes.com/Support.aspx

Both the disk & SSD cache volume with the cache file on it are visible and my hardware is working without any problem. I can reliably reproduce this error by attempting to us a striped volume as the cache volume. It creates the cache file and reboots. Calling up the MaxVelo GUI always gives me the EB000006. I haven’t reported this yet but I’m sure Elitebytes is monitoring this forum.

Again, VeloSSD 2.1.1.0 shows absolutely none of these problems. So I’ll simply take the loss of the money for the MaxVeloSSD license and continue with VeloSSD which works really, really great. In fact VeloSSD works so well that I’m still very satisfied :cool:

Strange, I wonder what version of MaxVeloSSD Alan is using ? If it’s an older version maybe he could send it to you.

Did you try benchmark tools like “Anvil Storage utilities” ?

I agree latest VeloSSD is fantastic :slight_smile: and robust (except the gui), for MaxVeloSSD it’s probably a bug, in theory RAM caching can’t be slower than SSD caching :wink:

[QUOTE=wchris;2751257]Strange, I wonder what version of [B]MaxVeloSSD Alan is using[/B] ? If it’s an older version maybe he could send it to you.

Did you try benchmark tools like “Anvil Storage utilities” ?

I agree latest VeloSSD is fantastic :slight_smile: and robust (except the gui), for MaxVeloSSD it’s probably a bug, in theory RAM caching can’t be slower than SSD caching ;)[/QUOTE]
Alan always uses the latest and the greatest.:wink: