First I purchased a VeloSSD personal license. I was satisfied and also purchased a MaxVeloSSD license, hoping it would be even faster.
After experimenting for a week or so, I found that MaxVeloSSD has severe issues on my machine (see below for specs). Tested on Windows 8.1 Pro x64. Before installing Velo I defragged the volume and checked it using Chkdsk. Windows boot volume is on a Seagate ST4000DX001 4TB harddisk, which itself has a built-in 8GB SSD cache. This on-board cache is invisible to Velo and to the OS. Cache volume is a Corsair Force 3 60GB SSD. Also tried it on a OCZ Vertex 2.
MaxVeloSSD is very slow to load programs from disk. Possibly because it writes to the cache volume in short, slow bursts, where VeloSSD writes much faster and in larger streams. MaxVeloSSD has severe trouble loading system processes. Again it loads extremely slow, causing long delays before the desktop is usable. Monitoring the disks showed that MaxVeloSSD is also slow to read from the cache volume. It reads KB/s rather than MB/s. VeloSSD has no such issues. It loads fast and gives a pleasant, smooth experience.
As a result, using MaxVeloSSD is a pain. I’ve stopped using it and I’m now using VeloSSD again. I cannot believe that MaxVeloSSD is slower by design. So I guess the problem is caused by my particular machine (which is nothing special, just built from standard components).
Hopefully EliteBytes will investigate these issues and solve them in a future update. While you’re at it, please delay writing to the cache volume for a few seconds, the way PrimoCache does with its L2 cache. It will make loading programs from harddisk much faster, especially on el cheapo Gigabyte mainboards. Try avoiding reading from and writing to disks at the same time.