Vcore

vbimport

I just installed a new processor P4 1.6A, in the bios and in Hardware Doctor (abit program) they both say the Vcore is running at 1.44, is this ok????? Will it hurt it to run it like this??? The only reason that I ask is because in Hardare Doctor the alarm goes off and tell me that its low... I lowered the value so it won't go off.. Again I want to know if 1) If it will hurt to run it at 1.44, 2) is there a fix for it.......

MB Abit th7II
512 meg of Rambus Ram (2, 128's installed today)
P4 1.6A
ect.....

TIA
VB9999:confused:

Running a lower voltage shouldn’t be a problem. The default voltage is 1.5 for the Northwood P4. So that is like a 3-4% variation from the default. I think maybe more importantly, is your system stable at 1.44 volts?

Or… Your BIOS should have a vcore setting for you to increase it from its default (it should also have a fsb setting to overclock). Did you know that your cpu is an AMAZING overclocker? My 1.6A is running rock stable at 2.5ghz with 1.55 vcore, fsb at 156mhz. Don’t forget to set your pci and agp dividers appropriately.

If you are new to overclocking, search around on google, your setup is probably not an uncommon one.

So far it’s running stable… If I increase the vcore setting then the temp. goes up, I tried that. The temp. went from 45 deg. celsius to 48.5 deg. celsius, well maybe not that bad then…

I know nothing about overclocking…

Don’t forget to set your pci and agp dividers appropriately.

Sorry about the ignorance but what exactly are you talking about with the pci and agp dividers??? Are you meaning to set your agp setting to 1/2 of your ram… Mine would be 256…

TIA
VB9999:confused:

OK I ran CS for about an hour and a half and everything is running smoothly. Now my Vcore jumped up and is now running between 1.46 to 1.47. My only quess that maybe the processor is getting broken-in so to speak… Do Intel burn-in there chips anymore???

TIA
VB9999

So far it’s running stable… If I increase the vcore setting then the temp. goes up

I don’t think that you will need to bump up the vcore if you are running the cpu in spec. Not sure exactly what the tolerance limit is but 3-4% sounds reasonable. The temp will definitely go up as you increase the voltage.

Overclocking can lead to an unstable system so people bump up the core voltage (some over 1.8 volts!), then the temp goes up, and the system is even more unstable - their solution is better cooling with bigger hsf, or watercooling, etc.

Not sure if they still burn their chips in anymore…

temp. went from 45 deg. celsius to 48.5

mine varies from 42 to 52 under full load (ie prime 95 or DivX encoding).

pci and agp dividers… agp runs at 66mhz, pci at 33mhz at spec. Your processor at default uses as quad pumped 100mhz bus, so the motherboard divides the fsb by 2/3 and 1/3 for the agp and pci, respectively. When you overclock an intel processor, you can only do so by increasing the fsb (in my example, I’ve gone from 100 to 156 mhz). This will result in your agp and pci to be run out of spec. My motherboard supports locking the agp and pci at 66 and 33 mhz, so that is what I have done. Your board - the TH7 II from abit, has a 1/2 divider for agp and a 1/4 divider for pci - ideal for an increase in your fsb to 133. This will end up with an overclocked speed of 2.13 ghz. If your ram can handle it, then you’ve got an even sweeter system to play CS with.

You should check out www.overclockers.com and www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/hwGuides/article.php/1380951 as a start.

Hope that helps. I know that your original question wasn’t - how can I overclock my cpu? I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to let you know about your cpu’s potential, since I have a similar setup. P4 1.6A @ 2.5 on ASUS P4B533E 512 MB Samsung DDR333 etc.

Cheers,
Lotus24

Thanks Lotus24 for the reply and links, I will go read and try to learn something new…

Thanks
VB9999