VCD Bitrates

Hey

last weekend I found a kickin ass program that converts DVD’s to VCD files (mpeg’s), but to convert the matrix on the best settings its 2 gig (dont even have that much space left on my harddrive )

well that was like at 2000 Bitrate qaulity or something like that, and I was wondering a few things.

What is the default Bitrate for a VCD?

should i split the movie on to 2 700mg cd’s for better quality?

can someone please help cause I’d like to know what the normal bitrate is for VCD’s

Thanks,
Novex

I know that the normal bitrate voor normal VCD is 1150 kb/s.

Hi,

Looks like someone testing like me.

Unfortunately, I think you will find that if you go above the video bitrate of 1150 fps for VCD 2.0, even though the quality will be improved, it is less compatible with stand alone DVD players.

I’ve got upto 1600 fps, the .MPEG is still accepted by Nero as being VCD compliant, but 2 out of 3 players I have tried play the VCD with pauses, freezes and big blocks.:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Originally posted by Novex
[B]Hey

last weekend I found a kickin ass program that converts DVD’s to VCD files (mpeg’s), but to convert the matrix on the best settings its 2 gig (dont even have that much space left on my harddrive )

well that was like at 2000 Bitrate qaulity or something like that, and I was wondering a few things.

What is the default Bitrate for a VCD?

should i split the movie on to 2 700mg cd’s for better quality?

can someone please help cause I’d like to know what the normal bitrate is for VCD’s

Thanks,
Novex [/B]

You will have to use the “default” bitrate/frame speed/frame size setting in order to make a real VCD.

For PAL, it’s MPEG-1 352x288 25fps CBR 1150kbps for video, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps for audio.

For NTSC 29.97 (or film 23.974), it’s MPEG-1 352x240 CBR 1150kbps for video, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps for audio.

Oh and NERO doesn’t recognise the “film” format, though it’s part of the specification of the orange book.