Vast majority uninterested in Blu-ray and HD-DVD

vbimport

I just posted the article Vast majority uninterested in Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Jupiter  Research has just published a study             that confirms what many have been saying here for months. That most people  are not ready to make the jump to the next generation...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10733-Vast-majority-uninterested-in-Blu-ray-and-HD-DVD.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10733-Vast-majority-uninterested-in-Blu-ray-and-HD-DVD.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

HD_DVD is actually “backward compatible”, going by Jupiter’s definition. They(HD camp) plan to release double-sided media with one standard DVD side. As for me, i am rather interested in higher storage capacity, so that i could fit whole tv seasons on 1 disk, as well as HD players that would handle both hd formats, dvd, mpeg 4- divx and xvid and mpeg files. Only this, together with cheap HD burners will make me upgrade. Cheers. FidelC

Ermmmmmm actually, backwards compatibility is the ability to play the older format in the new equipment. Just sayin’

I think you are right about that, but the research indicated that 54% would want the newer format to play in their exsisting player.

Considering that so much in the way of back catalogue DVD’s are still coming out and most people can neither afford or be bothered to make the transition from DVD to the Blu-Ray or HD standards like they did with VHS to DVD. DVD is here to stay for a long time yet, lets just hope that the industry finally start to make proper use of the DVD technology and capacity available

I would like to have HD-DVD or BlueRay burner in my PC (to store HDTV and DVD rips :wink: ) but to have HD-DVD or BlueRay player … I am not waisting my money .

Lets face it DVD technology is still going strong their is no need to replace it yets, its just about rereleasing movies on the new formats to get more money. The BluRay and HD-DVD formats should be adopted to PC use first then when DVD starts to go down then replace with these formats. If VHS could last at least 20 years i think DVD can still do it. Its also too soon to replace DVD the casual people have just got used to it its only the technophobes that want the change.

Its bad enough George Lucas keeps us buying new releases of Star wars every few years with added scenes and such. Now the industry is doing the same with their new format. I just bought star wars on dvd…why would I go for a $$ HD format?

I won’t buy into a format that I cannot freely copy to my HDD or back-up for personal use. I don’t download or even rent DVD. I buy them. But once paid for I feel free to transfer, copy and share this material on other devices. Let’s not encourage the next generation of DRM.

I am with FidelC, I am interested in the storage of either. I do a lot of video editing and I would like to have more storage for my DV AVI and HD footage.

I’ve thought about buying an HD tv sometime in the future once prices come down, but I don’t know if after scraping up the money for that, that I would be able to afford to start my dvd collection over again. My current dvd collection has surpassed the vhs collection I used to have, and DVDs are pretty good quality, and it would be quite expensive to start a new collection. I’m quite content to keep using dvds for a long while yet. btw if i were to get an HDTV in the next few years, it’d probably be just to watch digital cable or satellite hdtv programming, I really want to see some baseball or hockey games in high def.

That is the bottom line. It is too soon to replace DVD with a new format. PC is ok since most of us are gadget junkies.:d

the only thing i need them for is storage;p

Dang Crabby must you bring down us less Sophicated tech owners of lesser technology with your superior Set-up? :stuck_out_tongue:

'I think you are right about that, but the research indicated that 54% would want the newer format to play in their exsisting player." Of course low price would most certaily be compromised(Two movie formats on one disc)

“As for me, i am rather interested in higher storage capacity, so that i could fit whole tv seasons on 1 disk, as well as HD players that would handle both hd formats, dvd, “MPEG 4- DIVX and XVID and MPEG” files.”-----Arrrggghhh Matey.
[edited by jef195 on 16.08.2005 17:56]

@Jeff195-heehee, I can bring you down more! I got the DirecTV HD programming too, but since I got my TiVo I don’t even turn on the HD tuner unless I am recording two programs at once and a show comes on I want to see. Soon, I will drop the HD “content” from my DirecTV as it SUCKS and is not worth the 10 bucks a month! But I have a commiment until November and I got 6 months free so guess it only cost me 60 bucks total. Still, it simply is not worth it. This is also mainly because I can watch a DVD movie on the set and it is too hard to tell from the HD content. Plus I can see it when I want and not when they show it.
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 16.08.2005 18:07]

I see it next Crabby partying with Paris Hilton and Jessica simpson next.(Oh the privlidged life):wink:

Yeah, I got the world by the tail. rolls eyes

I, like 99.9% of other people on the planet, will buy the new format when a set-top player costs about 100 bucks and the burners cost under 75. Until then, I could really care less.