Varying copy speed from a DVDFab copy to a hard drive

vbimport

I’m putting my collection of movies, backed up with DVDFab, on 2TB USB hard drives.

I usually try to copy about ten in a session. I’ve found that the first few take about 20 to 30 minutes to copy to the hard drive, and then, after those, they take about ten minutes each.

The ones that take a longer time also vary in compression. Some compress the DVDFab copy into a smaller file, others stay the same size. The new copies that only take about ten minutes usually keep the same size as on the disk.

(For example, the DVDFab copy of Prestige was 4,194MB, but the hard drive copy, which took 27 minutes, is only 2,708MB.)

I’d like to find way to set DVDFab to copy all at the faster speed. I don’t need to compress them and further.

Any ideas, suggestions, hints greatly appreciated.

Use the clone mode which will make a 1to1 copy

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2512477]Use the clone mode which will make a 1to1 copy[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Jimbo, I tried that.

In the [B]clone[/B] mode, DVDFab will only copy to a burner. It doesn’t give any other options. (I’m using 7.0.3.0)

If you can figure out a way to get it to clone to a hard drive, that would be great.

Oh OK sorry I didn’t realize that

Can’t you just make an ISO to your HDD?..

I haven’t installed v 7 yet but v 6 does DVD9 to either DVD folders & files or to .iso.
I only have the free version.
I mostly use DVDFabs competitor since I have the full versions of those.
I guess I should get a v 7 just in case it might be useful.
I recently used DVDFab 6 to make a copy of a scratched RW recorded on a settop when the other software wouldn’t rip it.I choose to ignor all errors & it took DVDFab about 18 hours to do the rip.I had some pixilation & audio skips but played well enough to see the end of the TV episode .The scratced RW would just stop then jump a couple of minutes forward.The scratched RW is now a coaster .Point is DVDFab 6 managed to get me a copy when the others failed.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2512629]Can’t you just make an ISO to your HDD?..[/QUOTE]

I could do that - hadn’t thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I play them on my home theater projector through an upscaling player that gives near HD quality. Not sure if I could get that on an ISO file without turning it back to a VIDEO.TS file.

I’d still rather find a way to make a 1:1 clone to the hard drive, but DVDFab doesn’t seem to want to let me do that.

[QUOTE=cholla;2512636]
…Point is DVDFab 6 managed to get me a copy when the others failed.[/QUOTE]

I tried to accomplish this with v.6, but it doesn’t differ in that repsect from v. 7.

[QUOTE=joelrosado;2512432]I’m putting my collection of movies, backed up with DVDFab, on 2TB USB hard drives.

I usually try to copy about ten in a session. I’ve found that the first few take about 20 to 30 minutes to copy to the hard drive, and then, after those, they take about ten minutes each.

The ones that take a longer time also vary in compression. Some compress the DVDFab copy into a smaller file, others stay the same size. The new copies that only take about ten minutes usually keep the same size as on the disk.

[I](For example, the DVDFab copy of [B]Prestige was 4,194MB[/B], but the hard drive copy, which [B]took 27 minutes, is only 2,708MB[/B].)[/I]

I’d like to find way to set DVDFab to copy all at the faster speed. I don’t need to compress them and further.

Any ideas, suggestions, hints greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Hi joelrosado

In your example above the movie title “Prestige” has a file size of 4,194 before the rip and after the rip the file size on the hard drive is only 2,708 ? did you do main movie or full disc…why the big drop in file size :confused:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2512755]Hi joelrosado

In your example above the movie title “Prestige” has a file size of 4,194 before the rip and after the rip the file size on the hard drive is only 2,708 ? did you do main movie or full disc…why the big drop in file size :confused:[/QUOTE]

It’s possible that this was a full disk to main movie. I hadn’t thought about that. Only a very few of my copies are full disk, usually only when there’s an extra I really wanted to save, 99+% are main movie only.

I’m putting a lot of films on the hard drive, and most all stay about the same size; very few seem to shrink further.

The size issue is interesting, but that’s not my real question here.

Strangely, I’ll start of batch of about ten movies and some, sometimes 3, sometimes 6 or 7, will take about 20 minutes to copy. Then all of a sudden, they start taking ten minutes or less to copy.

Just to eliminate the obvious possible reason, I took a movie that I copied to the hard drive earlier that took more than 20 minutes and after the ten minute mode kicked in, made another copy to disk that took only 9:23 to copy.

Somewhere along the way, DVDFab is changing its speed of copying to the hard drive.

What I’d like to do, since I have a very large number to put on the hard drive, is to find a way to do it on a 1:1 basis, taking the 10 minutes or less that seems to kick in after some are done.

As I reported in another post, the [B]clone[/B] mode doesn’t let me write to the hard drive, just to the burner (unless I make an iso file).

While this issue isn’t one most DVDFab users will encounter, as Yul Brenner said in [I]The King and I[/I], “is a puzzlement”.

Just to clarify.It wasn’t other versions of DVDFab that failed it was other software.
For your “puzzlement” I have a couple of guesses.
DVDFab is changing the read speed.
Do you have PathPlayer set to " Enable PathPlayer when necessary" ?
I don’t know if PathPlayer can alter the read speed maybe someone here does.
You drive has hypertuning & learns after some use. It should keep this learning but maybe something is clearing it when you shutdown or reboot.

DVDFab does not change how fast it reads or rips, the variation in time is most likely due to the different conditions of the DVD’s themselves and how the drive reacts to readability factors such as fingerprints, scratches and other known problems.

[QUOTE=cholla;2512781]Just to clarify.It wasn’t other versions of DVDFab that failed it was other software.
For your “puzzlement” I have a couple of guesses.
DVDFab is changing the read speed.
Do you have PathPlayer set to " Enable PathPlayer when necessary" ?
I don’t know if PathPlayer can alter the read speed maybe someone here does.
Your drive has hypertuning & learns after some use. It should keep this learning but maybe something is clearing it when you shutdown or reboot.[/QUOTE]

Yes, PathPlayer is set to ‘enable when necessary’.

My burner is a Sony DRU 830, but the same thing happens on my laptop, which uses a different, much simpler drive. Maybe someone reading this can share information on hypertuning and if the Sony drive uses it.

Thanks for the input, but “is [I]still[/I] a puzzlement”.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2512788]DVDFab does not change how fast it reads or rips, the variation in time is most likely due to the different conditions of the DVD’s themselves and how the drive reacts to readability factors such as fingerprints, scratches and other known problems.[/QUOTE]

Each of the disks that are being copied are Sony +R, in the top category in the Media Quality list. They have no scratches, fingerprints or other imperfections; they’re as clean as brand new media.

Every movie was copied with DVDFab, the latest version available at the time they were copied.

I wish I could blame it on known factors like those you mentioned (which certainly could cause this effect), but it seems more likely that this is something different.

Still scratching my head.

[QUOTE=joelrosado;2512952]Each of the disks that are being copied are Sony +R, in the top category in the Media Quality list. They have no scratches, fingerprints or other imperfections; they’re as clean as brand new media.

Every movie was copied with DVDFab, the latest version available at the time they were copied.

I wish I could blame it on known factors like those you mentioned (which certainly could cause this effect), but it seems more likely that this is something different.

Still scratching my head.[/QUOTE]

Sony media are not top quality however since you are referring to burned DVDs and not commercially pressed DVDs there are other factors that can be at fault here, which again are related to the media…

Since Sony does not make their own DVDs but rather they has other companies produce them, and the write and read strategy can very depending on the company also there are unseen factors associated with the quality of the dye used on the playing surface.

This may not be the answer you was looking for, however it is only my .02 cents :flower: so I’ll go back to the sidelines :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2513013]Sony media are not top quality however since you are referring to burned DVDs and not commercially pressed DVDs there are other factors that can be at fault here, which again are related to the media…

Since Sony does not make their own DVDs but rather they has other companies produce them, and the write and read strategy can very depending on the company also there are unseen factors associated with the quality of the dye used on the playing surface.

This may not be the answer you was looking for, however it is only my .02 cents :flower: so I’ll go back to the sidelines :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your thoughts, StormJumper.

I’ve used over 800 Sony media, and only found one less than perfect so far. They all have the same or similar batch numbers, so I assume they were made at the same time and place. I did use one batch of Taiyo Yuden media, and the issue of varying speed happens with them, too. (T-Y disks aren’t available in Hawaii and the cost of shipping from the mainland makes them much too costly.)

This may be one of those problems that can’t easily or quickly be solved.

I’ll keep on scratching my head while I’m ripping. If we solved all of life’s mysteries, where would the fun be?

There are numerous factors that can affect decrypting speed.

Including copy protection and system specific factors such as I/O bottlenecks, other software running intermittently such as anti-virus programs and stuff that is beyond the scope of anyone here to know without seeing the system.

I know you’re trying to find a specific reason but it’s not that simple for anyone here to answer that.

Copy protection will affect decryption speed as some discs are more heavily encrypted than others or may even use the same protection but more or less of it (dummy sectors for example).

Not a very precise answer I know but the simple answer is that all discs take different times to decrypt and for a particular disc it just takes as long as it takes. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I pretty much agree with Wombler’s last post.
I’m going to take another stab at this though.
Are you making sure the settings you use in DVDFab are exactly the same for each rip ?
If you’re ripping all to DVD9 there should be No compression or transcoding.So try that setting & see if you get different times.
If you are compressing movies to DVD5 but using movie only.The movie only in some movies is small enough not to need compression even with DVD5.
For Hyper Tuning on further checking it is only used for Writing so wouldn’t affect reading. I don’t know if Sony uses it.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2513089]There are numerous factors that can affect decrypting speed.

Including copy protection and system specific factors such as I/O bottlenecks, other software running intermittently such as anti-virus programs and stuff that is beyond the scope of anyone here to know without seeing the system.

I know you’re trying to find a specific reason but it’s not that simple for anyone here to answer that.

Copy protection will affect decryption speed as some discs are more heavily encrypted than others or may even use the same protection but more or less of it (dummy sectors for example).

Not a very precise answer I know but the simple answer is that all discs take different times to decrypt and for a particular disc it just takes as long as it takes. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I do agree with you my friend, however protection is not one of the factors here since the OP is talking about Sony +R media(already ripped and burned) not commercially pressed DVDs(still protected), but the other factors you have stated are also key factors :iagree:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2513297]I do agree with you my friend, however protection is not one of the factors here since the OP is talking about Sony +R media(already ripped and burned) not commercially pressed DVDs(still protected), but the other factors you have stated are also key factors :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Ah right I’d missed that bit, thanks.

Ignore the copy protection bit then. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]