V5 problem

vbimport

I’ve been using DVDFab Platinum v4.x with no problems. Since updating to v5.x, I’ve had a couple of problems.

1. Initial reading from DVD source was taking 25-40 MINUTES (v5.0.5.0 - v5.0.7.5), regardless of the movie, but this seems to have been corrected in v5.0.7.6 even though that release doesn’t seem to have been to address such a problem. I don’t understand, but it is back down to about 8 seconds, so I’m not complaining. This was DVD-to-DVD. I’m aware there was an issue with DVD-to-Mobile, but I figured it was me.

2. I was doing backups on my laptop (1-yr old Dell Inspiron 1720), cloning DVD-to-DVD using the VSO burn engine. The copy task is fine. The write task is failing, saying no media detected, init failure, error 112, etc. A sample log follows. 48 disks off this spindle burned successfully with DVDFab v4.x. The last two failed with DVDFab v5.x. The first four off a new spindle (same brand and type) failed with the same errors.

I moved to my desktop (1-yr old Dell XPS 410), cloning DVD-to-DVD using the VSO burn engine, using the same media, and encountered the same errors. HOWEVER, cloning to hdd, and then burning the .iso file with Roxio worked on the same drive and disk. This approach also works on my laptop, so…

If the drives recognize the media, and the media can be successfully written with other software, what does that leave? I think there is a sporadic problem with VSO. Yes, I’m aware that some are having no trouble with v5.x and VSO, but I am having trouble.

Since Roxio works, I am considering trying the ImgBurn engine.

No other applications are running during the cloning process.

I do a clean uninstall, each time.

I am using Memorex DL DVD+R 2.4-8x (Ritek-S04-42) media, but have had no errors with the previous three spindles and 65 disks, and I’m not having problems with the current spindle when using different software.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1720, 2GHz Intel Centrino Duo, 4mb cache, 4gb RAM, HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-T11N A103 [E] (Ide), running under Vista Home Premium SP1, various versions of DVDFab v5.x.

Desktop: Dell XPS 410, 2.18GHz Intel Core Duo, 4mb cache, 4gb RAM, Optiplex burner (don’t have model info in front of me), running under Vista Home Premium, DVDFab v5.0.6.5.

Burner firmware on both machines is current per manufacturers.

Movie: I don’t think it matters, since the copy task is working fine, but I was cloning Babylon5 Season 1 disks 1 through 4.

sample log (same for all versions from 5.0.5.0 to 5.0.7.6):

7/30/2008 1:53:50 AM info ******************** Report session closed *********************
7/30/2008 1:53:15 AM info Media removed. Burning layer not ready to write
7/30/2008 1:53:15 AM warning Reading Disc Information have failed
7/30/2008 1:53:15 AM warning Reading media profile have failed after 4 attemps
7/30/2008 1:52:44 AM error INIT ERROR: Writing device initialization failed - sense: Code 00 00 00 [No sense information.]
7/30/2008 1:52:44 AM error Write cancelled, Your media is still usable.
7/30/2008 1:52:44 AM error Failed to set layer change to LBA 1894368 (3.61 Gb.) - Code 00 00 00 [No sense information.]
7/30/2008 1:51:20 AM info Writing speed requested x4.0, effective x4.0
7/30/2008 1:51:20 AM info Can’t find a proper layer break in ISO image. Setting to 1894368
7/30/2008 1:51:20 AM info Available write speed: 4x, 2.4x
7/30/2008 1:51:20 AM info Media ID: RITEK-S04-42
7/30/2008 1:51:20 AM info Media type: Dual Layer DVD+R
7/30/2008 1:51:20 AM info Not Applicable to this bus type
7/30/2008 1:51:18 AM info Write started
7/30/2008 1:51:16 AM info New media (DL DVD+R) inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
7/30/2008 1:16:15 AM info Compatible media types : DVD-R, DVD-RW Seq., DVD-RW RO, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, DL DVD+R
7/30/2008 1:16:15 AM info New Drive selected : 1:0:0 - HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-T11N A103 [E] (Ide)
7/30/2008 1:14:14 AM info Current Drive selected : 1:0:0 - HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-T11N A103 [E] (Ide)
7/30/2008 1:14:14 AM info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
7/30/2008 1:14:14 AM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
7/30/2008 1:14:14 AM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
7/30/2008 1:14:14 AM info DLL Version 5, 0, 5, 0
7/30/2008 1:14:14 AM info DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\DVDFab.exe
7/30/2008 1:14:14 AM info Version 5, 0, 5, 0
7/30/2008 1:14:14 AM info ExeName : “C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\DVDFab.exe”
7/30/2008 1:14:14 AM info OS : Personal Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
7/30/2008 1:14:14 AM info ******************** Report session started ********************

Any help in getting DVD-to-DVD working again would be appreciated.

[quote=vagreys;2102211]I’ve been using DVDFab Platinum v4.x with no problems. Since updating to v5.x, I’ve had a couple of problems.

1. Initial reading from DVD source was taking 25-40 MINUTES (v5.0.5.0 - v5.0.7.5), regardless of the movie, but this seems to have been corrected in v5.0.7.6 even though that release doesn’t seem to have been to address such a problem. I don’t understand, but it is back down to about 8 seconds, so I’m not complaining. This was DVD-to-DVD. I’m aware there was an issue with DVD-to-Mobile, but I figured it was me.

2. I was doing backups on my laptop (1-yr old Dell Inspiron 1720), cloning DVD-to-DVD using the VSO burn engine. The copy task is fine. The write task is failing, saying no media detected, init failure, error 112, etc. A sample log follows. 48 disks off this spindle burned successfully with DVDFab v4.x. The last two failed with DVDFab v5.x. The first four off a new spindle (same brand and type) failed with the same errors.

I moved to my desktop (1-yr old Dell XPS 410), cloning DVD-to-DVD using the VSO burn engine, using the same media, and encountered the same errors. HOWEVER, cloning to hdd, and then burning the .iso file with Roxio worked on the same drive and disk. This approach also works on my laptop, so…

If the drives recognize the media, and the media can be successfully written with other software, what does that leave? I think there is a sporadic problem with VSO. Yes, I’m aware that some are having no trouble with v5.x and VSO, but I am having trouble.

Since Roxio works, I am considering trying the ImgBurn engine.

No other applications are running during the cloning process.

I do a clean uninstall, each time.

I am using Memorex DL DVD+R 2.4-8x (Ritek-S04-42) media, but have had no errors with the previous three spindles and 65 disks, and I’m not having problems with the current spindle when using different software.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1720, 2GHz Intel Centrino Duo, 4mb cache, 4gb RAM, HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-T11N A103 [E] (Ide), running under Vista Home Premium SP1, various versions of DVDFab v5.x.

Desktop: Dell XPS 410, 2.18GHz Intel Core Duo, 4mb cache, 4gb RAM, Optiplex burner (don’t have model info in front of me), running under Vista Home Premium, DVDFab v5.0.6.5.

Burner firmware on both machines is current per manufacturers.

Movie: I don’t think it matters, since the copy task is working fine, but I was cloning Babylon5 Season 1 disks 1 through 4.

sample log (same for all versions from 5.0.5.0 to 5.0.7.6):

Any help in getting DVD-to-DVD working again would be appreciated.[/quote]
Do you do a clean uninstall in this link http://club.cdfreaks.com/2065659-post1.html . Follow Sj instructions exactly and do not forget to reboot. After that install the latest version of DVDFAB . Looks to me that it having a problem setting the layer break. Use only verbatim DL discs and get rid of those ritek junk. Try using ImgBurn in the mean time

I am using Memorex DL DVD+R 2.4-8x (Ritek-S04-42) media,

Change your media and your problems will go away. Try some Verbatim DL, preferably Made in Singapore.

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations.

As a result of trying ImgBurn, I have learned that the problem is that these are PTP disks, not OTP. Switching from Memorex to Verbatim will improve the quality of my media, but will have no effect on my problem. I’m researching options for re-authoring. I may be able to use the file output from DVDFab to load into Daemon Tools as input for the ImgBurn Build tool. I don’t know, yet. This is all new to me.

Had I known more, to begin with, there were clues in the error messages from DVDFab and ImgBurn.

[QUOTE=vagreys;2102345]…the problem is that these are PTP disks, not OTP.[/QUOTE] which disc are you referring? the original or your memorex blanks? i believe that the memorex disc are not PTP. can you paste a screen shot from ImgBurn showing this. there is current problem with other cdfreaks members which could possibly be resolved if PTP dl media were available.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1961529-post12.html

[QUOTE=vagreys;2102345] Switching from Memorex to Verbatim will improve the quality of my media, [B]but will have no effect on my problem[/B].

warning Reading Disc Information have failed
warning [B]Reading media profile have failed after 4 attemps[/B]
error INIT ERROR: Writing device initialization failed - sense: Code 00 00 00 [[B]No sense information[/B].]
error Write cancelled, Your media is still usable.
error Failed to set layer change to LBA 1894368 (3.61 Gb.) - Code 00 00 00 [[B]No sense information[/B].][/QUOTE]

to bad this happens with VSO as it is nicely integrated into dvdfab. i guess its why LUK made ImgBurn the Ultimate Image Burner! however you maybe surprised at how much better the Verbatim Disc really are.

[QUOTE=vagreys;2102345]I’m researching options for re-authoring.[/QUOTE]
i would suggest dvdfab customize mode.

[QUOTE=vagreys;2102345]I may be able to use the file output from DVDFab to load into Daemon Tools as input for the ImgBurn Build tool.[/QUOTE]
build is for burning data and write is for burning image

[QUOTE=vagreys;2102345]I don’t know, yet. This is all new to me.[/QUOTE]
give it about a year and you will feel right at home.

[QUOTE=vagreys;2102345]Had I known more, to begin with, there were clues in the error messages from DVDFab and ImgBurn.[/QUOTE]
do you have an imgburn log you can post?
help/ imgburn logs

Sorry for the ambiguity. I meant the Bab5 original disks. It turns out that in my Season 1 collection, disks 1 and 2 are OTP, but disks 3 and 4 are PTP, which added to the confusion. The Memorex blanks are OTP.

to bad this happens with VSO as it is nicely integrated into dvdfab. i guess its why LUK made ImgBurn the Ultimate Image Burner! however you maybe surprised at how much better the Verbatim Disc really are.

I have no doubt that the Verbatims make a difference, but the only DL’s anyone carries around here are Memorex, so I have to plan far enough in advance, and get a good enough deal with shipping to make ordering on-line worthwhile. Had the source disks been OTP, then zeroing in on the blanks as the problem would have been a reasonable conclusion; however, in my case, the formats of the source and target disks weren’t compatible, and the cloned layer break and cell alignment were all wrong for the target. No matter how good the media were, without remastering the source and setting an appropriate layer break, it wouldn’t work.

i would suggest dvdfab customize mode.

I’ll give it a try. I’m experimenting, at this point, and learning. I’ll post the process, once I get it to work.

build is for burning data and write is for burning image

LUK says the easiest way is to load the image file into a virtual drive and use that as the source for Build, so I’m trying that, first. The image file from DVDFab will have the copy protections removed, become a virtual disk in Daemon Tools, and give Build the files necessary to remaster and set an optimal layer break, assuming everything works.

do you have an imgburn log you can post?
help/ imgburn logs

Unfortunately, I didn’t save the log from ImgBurn. However, as with DVDFab, the useful hints were in dialogue boxes, anyway. The ImgBurn info was

“Optional L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_01). This image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc. None of the cells meet the ‘DVD-Video Specification’ criteria for a potential layer break partition.”

This suggested the possibilities that it was a problem with the temporary clone image file. A look at the ImgBurn forums pointed me to the possibility of the source disks being PTP, which I was able to confirm.

In combination with the dialogue warnings in DVDFab that the target was an invalid media type for the source. It became clear the problem was the source. It wasn’t saying the target was unreadable, and I wasn’t getting write errors part way through the burn.

hey vagreys,

this is all really new to me as well. i have actually never burned a Dual Layer Disc. if using the build mode with ImgBurn works then i would say the easiest solution would be to use Full Disc Mode and let ImgBurn open from DVDFab. ImgBurn will open in build mode and automatically start the write.

could you please post the Info Page from the original dvd you are having problems with.
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsInfo

thanks