Utorrent

Hello! i have a few stupid questions, that i thought somebody might be able to help me with.
i have utorrent. it took me almost 24hrs to download one movie!! i dont know how to open my ports, (if i need any open), speed up the downloading process, or really anything else about utorrent…im just kinda shooting in the dark here… if there is anyone that could shed some light here, feel free to!! (oh, and could you put it in stupid peoples terms, im computer illiterate!)

Welcome to CD Freaks :slight_smile:

Does your ISP throttle the connection speed depending on your download sources?

uTorrent has it’s own forums.

[QUOTE=lil perry;2220848]Hello! i have a few stupid questions, that i thought somebody might be able to help me with.
i have utorrent. it took me almost 24hrs to download one movie!! i dont know how to open my ports, (if i need any open), speed up the downloading process, or really anything else about utorrent…im just kinda shooting in the dark here… if there is anyone that could shed some light here, feel free to!! (oh, and could you put it in stupid peoples terms, im computer illiterate!)[/QUOTE]

Well we need more info to go on. Like what kinda router your using and what kinda ISP connection you have? Go to this site http://www.portfoward.com they have lots of info on how to open or forward ports. Also depends on how big the movie is and what is the movie? Also the other site could be limiting how much or when you can download it as well. So the other side could be doing what they want and make you wait and you can’t do anything about it til they open or seed the file.

might also try this first
open utorrent and go options /speedguide

then click here

then if all is ok you should see this

Hi
I am also fairly new to the forum and am still learning…but, just want to say that I had the utorrent once and got caught with it, my fault, as it used up ALL my download allocation and in the end I got rid of it as I found that there was also a risk of viruses etc…anyway, I found the whole thing too hard but that’s just me. I only wanted to warn you that you should make sure that you knew about how much download it uses up from your allocation…it used up all of mine and then some which cost me more from my ISP and then I was slowed down for the rest of that month until my allocation started again the next month.
You might already be aware of this but if not…thought it might be helpful.
Sorry I can’t advise about the ‘port’ thing as the only fact that I know about ‘ports’ is where the ships go…
Cheers and good luck with it all…angie :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=angie.j;2220932]Hi
I am also fairly new to the forum and am still learning…but, just want to say that I had the utorrent once and got caught with it, my fault, as it used up ALL my download allocation and in the end I got rid of it as I found that there was also a risk of viruses etc…anyway, I found the whole thing too hard but that’s just me. I only wanted to warn you that you should make sure that you knew about how much download it uses up from your allocation…it used up all of mine and then some which cost me more from my ISP and then I was slowed down for the rest of that month until my allocation started again the next month.
You might already be aware of this but if not…thought it might be helpful.
Sorry I can’t advise about the ‘port’ thing as the only fact that I know about ‘ports’ is where the ships go…
Cheers and good luck with it all…angie :)[/QUOTE]

Before jumping to conclusion cause of your situation let’s remain on the OP topic instead. We are here to help find a solution if possible for the OP problems.

Okay Coolcolours, no worries,
So, what is your hopeful solution to this problem please?

[QUOTE=angie.j;2221078]Okay Coolcolours, no worries,
So, what is your hopeful solution to this problem please?[/QUOTE]

Go back to posting #4.

[I][B]@coolcolors:[/B][/I] as far as I can see, [I][B]angie.j [/B][/I]has suggested that slowing of downloads may be because of exceeding download allocation.

I would say this is clearly on-topic, so please refrain from telling people otherwise.

Another reason for slow downloads on a p2p network is the number of seeders. If it is a low number and they aren’t uploading at a very high rate it could take a very long time to download.