uTorrent installation issues with W10

vbimport

I updated my laptop OS to W10 today and opted for a clean installation. I went to install an older version of uTorrent (3.1.3) and User Account Control says “This app has been blocked for your protection.” I have searched for a solution via Google and tried everything I can think of to unblock it. Anyone else run into this problem and were you able to get uTorrent to install?

Been using uTorrent 1.8.3 on w10 since january last year (insider since day 1) and never had a problem with it. Have you tried running it as admin? Turning off uac?

I did both of those things. I even turned off the built-in antivirus and it made no difference. I have never seen this happen before. I finally went with the current version of uTorrent and it installed.

Have you tried verison 2.x? That version doesn’t have bloatware on it and that would get around Windows X.

There probably is an archive version that works. I will use the one I installed for awhile until the ads become too obnoxious. I thought someone might know an easy way to unblock the version I was trying to install.

[QUOTE=UTR;2757718]There probably is an archive version that works. I will use the one I installed for awhile until the ads become too obnoxious. I thought someone might know an easy way to unblock the version I was trying to install.[/QUOTE]
Not that I know of, I use 2.0.4 and it is bloatware free and so far has worked fine for me.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2757723]Not that I know of, I use 2.0.4 and it is bloatware free and so far has worked fine for me.[/QUOTE]Yeah 1.8.3 is the last version without any sort of crap in it. Those 3.x versions are just full of crap.

@UTR where you using your own antivirus? or the default defender? Defender would probably do that to you if it was enabled.

I can verify the last of the 2.x series 2.2.1.25302 also installs fine in Windows 10. While I agree that 1.8.3 is the last without any sort of crap, v2.x is bearable as they mostly allow you to install the bloat. 3.x is bloated all over and out of the question.
The appearance of v1.x and v2.x is dated icon-wise so I did a version for a friend where I added custom icon resources for all Win 10 icon sizes supported. It looks good in explorer, but the filesize went up to 4MB (No png-compression). I’ll rather stick to a lame icon I think :wink:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2760176]I can verify the last of the 2.x series 2.2.1.25302 also installs fine in Windows 10. While I agree that 1.8.3 is the last without any sort of crap, v2.x is bearable as they mostly allow you to install the bloat. 3.x is bloated all over and out of the question.[/QUOTE]
Well that is why you turn off the update feature so it will not hassle you to update. I did that and received not such hassle from utorrent to update to 3.xx bloatware…

[QUOTE=slayerking;2757743]Yeah 1.8.3 is the last version without any sort of crap in it. Those 3.x versions are just full of crap.

@UTR where you using your own antivirus? or the default defender? Defender would probably do that to you if it was enabled.[/QUOTE]

I missed you question when you first posted it. I use Defender. I did a fresh install and not an update. That took care of the problem. Maybe not the most efficient fix but effective.