USPS Money Order

Anyone here know how does USPS money order work? Ive never delt with them before but have went through paypal many times. I heard I could cash it at the post office or bank but i would need a ID. I have a problem though, someone just sent me a money order today, but they put down the wrong name, because my name on ebay is wrong, by a few letters though. Im wondering if I could still cash this or do i have to send it back and have them get another one. Or could I just cross it out change it and initial it, with their initial… Anyone tried cashing a money order with changed name? If u did how wrong was it?

Thanks in advance.

I get USPS money orders once and a while (don’t get any other kind of money orders to be safe) and I don’t recall having to show my ID at the post office but maybe I did, sorry I don’t remember.

How bad did they misspell your name?

I would think worst case you could send it back and get a new one.

The last name is written as cheng instead of chan, and the first name is mike instead of michael, but i was thinking of putting my parents name on it and have them cash it instead. On USPS’s website it says u need a ID, so idk.

Thanks for replying.

That is so close to your name I would sign it as you are cashing it and see how it goes.

edit: Just thought of something, call the post office and ask what you should do.

[QUOTE=dfasfag;2202848]The last name is written as cheng instead of chan, and the first name is mike instead of michael, but i was thinking of putting my parents name on it and have them cash it instead. On USPS’s website it says u need a ID, so idk.

Thanks for replying.[/QUOTE]

if they know you at the post office…there shouldn’t be a problem…and even so …i’m sure if you just explain what the deal is…they will be more than happy to cash it for you…

If you have any communication between yourself and the sender I’d print it out and take it with you. At least you’d have some sort of proof of the misspelling.

Alright thanks. I contacted the buyer and he said that the post office said that i should have no problems cashing it. So… ill see.

Thanks.