Using XSF 1.53 Utility To Backup Firmware

vbimport

If you own one of the new Liteon’s DVD burners (SHM-165H6S, SHM-160H6S, SHM-160P6S and SHM-165P6S) and want to extract a backup of the firmware file (.bin file) you will have to use XSF 1.53 utility. LTN FW utility will not fully backup the firmware file from these DVD burners, because it only extracts a 1MB file. These DVD burners have 2MB firmware files.

As far as I know, SHW-16H5S and SHW-1635S DVD burners have 1MB firmware files and LTN FW can be used to backup the firmware from these DVD burners.

To extract (backup) the firmware from your DVD burner, using XSF 1.53, just observe the following procedures:

A) Get a copy of XSF 1.53 at http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities/XSF-1.53.rar.
Unrar it to a directory in your HD, for instance c:\Firmware. You will get two files: XFS.EXE and XFS-Readme.txt. I recommend you to read the XFS-Readme.txt file.

As XSF is a pure DOS utility, you will need to boot from DOS to use it. It is useless to acesss the DOS prompt through Windows. You can use NTFS4DOS for this.

B) Get a copy (freeware) of NTFS4DOS at http://www.datapoltechnologies.com/freeware. You will get the file ntfsboot.zip. Unzipping it to the C:\firmware directory you will get the following files:BOOTDISK.COM, NTFSBOOT.EXE, NTFSBOOT.ISO, NTFSBOOT.TXT and NTFSWCDD.ISO. I recommend you to read the NTFSBOOT.TXT file.

The file NTFSBOOT.EXE allows you to prepare a NTFSDOS BOOT diskette, if you have a diskette drive installed in your system. Insert a diskette in your
diskette drive, format it and execute the NTFSBOOT.EXE file. At the end of the process you will have a NTFSDOS boot diskette ready to be used.

If you don’t have a diskette drive installed in your system, you will have to create a NTFSDOS CDRom. To do it, burn the file NTFSBOOT.ISO, for instance using NERO BurningROM, in the CD ISO create mode. At the end of the burning process you will get a NTSFDOS boot CDRom.

Both alternatives above work.

C) If your system has only NTFS partitions, you will need to create a small DOS FAT32 partition in your HD. To do it, you may use a utility like Partition Magic.

As NTFS4DOS only allow us to read NTFS partitions and not to write to NTFS partitions, it is necessary to create this small DOS FAT32 partition, in order XSF can write the backup file on it.

Take note of the drive letter which will be assigned to this DOS FAT32 partition.

D) After creating the DOS FAT32 Partition in your HD, copy the XFS.EXE file to it.

E) Now you will have to change the BOOT Sequence in the BIOS, in order to boot from DOS.

• If you have a diskette drive in your system and prepared the NTFSDOS boot diskette, the first device in the boot sequence will have to be your diskette drive.

• If you don’t have a diskette drive in your system or prefered to boot from the NTFSDOS CDRom, the first device in the boot sequence you have to be one DVD burner drive (not necessarily the one from which you want to backup the firmware, if you have more than one burner in your system).

After making the changes, insert the NTFSDOS Boot diskette or the NTFSDOS boot CDRom, respectively, in the appropriate device, save the BIOS modifications and exit. Your system will reboot in DOS mode.

F) NTSFDOS will ask you a YES/NO question. Answer it with a simple y and press ENTER.

G) If you have booted from a diskette or from a CDRom, you may access your boot device from A:, although this is not necessary at all.

H) In either case C: will be DOS FAT32 partition, where you must have copied the XSF.EXE utility. To access it type C: from the DOS prompt and press ENTER. To make sure that XSF utility is there type DIR and press ENTER.

I) Before issuing the XSF command it is necessary to know in which IDE controller the DVD burner (from which you want to extract the firmware file) is attached to. The options are: Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master and Secondary Slave. Knowing it, you are ready to backup the firmware using XSF 1.53 utility.

J) From the C: prompt just type ‘XSF n R firmware.bin’ , where ‘n’ may be:

• 1: if your burner is Primary Master
  • 2: if your burner is Primare Slave
  • 3: if your burner is Secondary Master, or
  • 4: if your burner is Secondary Slave

firmware.bin can be the actual name of the firmware (for instance: MS0M.bin for the 165P6S or HS07.bin for the 165H6S)

As an example, if your burner is the Secondary Master you will type: XSF 3 R firmware.bin and press ENTER.

DO NOT USE ANY OTHER OPTIONS OF THE XSF COMMAND, IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU’RE DOING, IN ORDER NOT TO CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR DRIVE.

After this, a new DOS screen will appear, where in the bottom right three options are available:

• RET: Flash. This the option to be used. To access it just press ENTER and the copying process will begin.
  • F2: Scan
  • F10: Quit. After the backup process ends, you shall press F10 key to exit the utility and access again the DOS prompt.

K) After finishing the backup process, take out the NTFSDOS boot diskette or the NTFSDOS CDRom from the corresponding device and press CTRL+ALT+DEL. Your system will reboot in Windows mode. If you want to, you can change the boot sequence again to the normal one used in your system.

L) Now you will find in the DOS FAT32 partition the backup firmware file from your DVD burner.

Thanks to C0deKing, ala42 and MediumRare.

Thank You for the Info about using XSF 1.53 Utility Gordon Banks you are a [B]Legend !!![/B] You did a great job writing it and it’s very easy to follow and links were handy as well. Great work hope you do some more. :slight_smile:

coathi,

I was trying to use XSF 1.53 to backup my 165P6S firmware and had to search a lot of threads to find a way of doing it. C0deking , ala 42 and MediumRare provided me with information on how to overcome some problems I was facing.

After I successfully backup the firmware, I decide to write down the whole process in order other CDFreaks readers may benefit from it.

If something happen to the drive, is the flash command to restore the drive would be like this :

‘XSF n W firmware.bin’ ??

thank you :slight_smile:

DimeDeviL, Gordon Banks was kind enough to write another post about that here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1370819

Okay, Codeking … Thank you :slight_smile: just want to revert to DW-Q120A but not so sure how to do it, because the search button stuck on my Opera :slight_smile: