Using old Panasonic VCR as cable box

I’m using a ten-yr-old Panasonic VCR (Omnivision model PV-V4523S) as a cable box for my basic cable service. TimeWarner says I should be getting 70 channels for my $13/month but I get only 16. Is there some way to tell this old VCR to find more channels, or do I have to get a newer one? Can I buy a cable box somewhere, or do I have to rent if from TimeWarner at $7/month?
Thanks for any advice.

Hi profSteve and Welcome:

Are you using your VCR as a tuner because your TV is too old to reach the upper channels?

In the set-up for your VCR, there should be an auto programming option so it can recognize the signal coming from the cable and that should allow you to see all unencrypted channels.

Regarding purchasing your own box, as I understand it, you have a right to purchase your own box but are not likley to find a vendor willing to sell you one (basically, because they are wholesale only). If you purchase a “universal box” off ebay for example, TW is not going to support it (at least they didn’t several months ago) and I believe they are moving to boxes with Smart Card technology.

Go into your setup menu…
Select Channels…
Select Antenna…
Select Cable…
You’re done…

Yes! It worked.

Many thanks to both Jeff53404 and Pipemanid for your prompt replies. I’m grateful to both of you for your help.