Using Maximum Disc Capacity When Creating Back-up DVDs

vbimport

Hello Everyone,

Didn’t know quite where this question would fit in, so decided to post here to start.

I have a large number of files/folders that I want to burn on DVD to create back-up copies. There is a wide range in file size but I want to fill the DVDs as close to their maximum capacity as possible so that the process is as efficient as can be, using the minimum number of discs.

There has to be a better way than simply creating a folder and dragging files into it to see what combination comes as close to the DVD storage limit, especially when there are hundreds of files to choose from!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. :slight_smile:

You should be able to accomplish this using the Disc Spanning feature of CDBurnerXP. I’m not using this myself, however.

CDBurnerXP is free.

WinRAR with maximum image size?

Hi Blingbling1972

If you are going to burn DVDs to their maximum capacity then I suggest you use good quality media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim(ASO), most other brands are low to poor quality and you can run into issues if you burn to close to the edge of the disc.

Just a heads-up :slight_smile:

What Storm Jumper said, or use a portable hard drive and put it away until needed.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2598400]What Storm Jumper said, or [B]use a portable hard drive and put it away until needed[/B].[/QUOTE]

That is the best way to go :iagree:

I stopped making optical backups, it just wasn’t worth the effort.

I just buy another hard drive clone the drive I want backed up to it and set it in a drawer.

Optical backups take more time to burn or more time to read than a hard drive backup made
via eSATA by a factor of ten or twelve.

And you NEVER need to do “disc spanning”

AD

I haven’t stopped making optical backups completely for[I] now[/I], but I do agree with the other posters above, and back up to extra drives and burn from their[I] if[/I] needed…:iagree:

I agree with the other, but take it a step further. Tb HDD’s are not that expensive and easy to work with. When you upgrade your computer, take the old one and make it the Home Server. Put it on your Ethernet Network, and load it up with HDD’s. Put all your Movies and Music by category. You can even Stream from there…What an Idea! :cool:

You can even Stream from there…What an Idea!

Yaaa, what a great idea!..Jokes aside, streaming these days is the way to go IMHO…Or even USB sticks…
However I always keep my verbies nearby…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2598459]Yaaa, what a great idea!..Jokes aside, streaming these days is the way to go IMHO…Or even USB sticks…
However I always keep my verbies nearby…[/QUOTE]

I use to do it all the time, with a good Networked Media Player it’s real easy to access all your Movies and Music Files to Stream to you HDTV. DVD’s I did it with a Buffalo Link Theater, but they couldn’t come out with a good Blu-ray Player. Hook up the Media Player to your HDTV with HDMI and you are Hot to Go! :cool:

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2598428]I just buy another hard drive clone the drive I want backed up to it and set it in a drawer.[/QUOTE]
I make a nightly Rsync backup of my files on to another harddisk in my NAS. And once a month i make a backup of my files to another, portable, harddisk.

Wow, thanks everyone for all your replies, very much appreciated. It looks like hard drive back-up is the way to go.

All the best!

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2598476]I make a nightly Rsync backup of my files on to another harddisk in my NAS. And once a month i make a backup of my files to another, portable, harddisk.[/QUOTE]

While I comment on my weekly backup method, I don’t bother backing up my Data drives, they are backed up as they are created, I rarely have less than four copies of any data.

My “important” setup data, e-mail and browser favorites are backed up daily to a pair of thumb drives that are mounted internally in my desktop.
I replace one of the pair every six months.

Yeah, I know, they are limited on the number of writes before the drive dies.
Well… I erase and discard them after a year of use.
and at $7 each it costs me $4 every six months.

Cloud?

AD