Using InCD

I just started using InCD. So far no problems after about a week of use. But I do have some questions.

Is there a defrag utility for InCD or does one have to move all files off the CD-RW and then back on to the CD-RW?

I notice from the InCD thread that some people have success and others do not using InCD. I’m using InCD v. 3.31.0. Should I upgrade to a later version or leave what’s working so far alone?

:cool:

You should never ever repair a running InCD if it is not broken :wink:

traveler:

I have not heard about a defrag utility for InCD. Are you suffering from significant slowdowns after using InCD discs for just a week? Did you format your discs with the CD-MRW option?

As for your second question, alexnoe is right in general. Yet there is little danger in upgrading to InCD 3.51.61 (you may always go back to 3.31); on the other hand, stay away from 3.37. For more information, see

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58852

No, no problems so far in performance or anything else I can detect. I’ve only been using it for a week. No deleted files yet.

The question stems from the anticipation of the repeated deleting of single files from the CD-RW. Which would leave unused gaps, which would get filled by other files transfered to the CD-RW, which would be fragmented.

:cool:

There are no defragment utilities for CD-RW. Although theoretically fragmentation will occur after frequent deleting and rewriting of files, this is usually not a problem.

Some packet writing programs like Roxio’s Direct CD keep a record of used sectors in the overhead format of the disc. This is one of the reasons for the relatively high overhead of a formatted CD-RW disc. This technology is called sparing and prevents the same sector(s) from being written again and again if files are deleted. This is done to prevent premature disc failure due to repeated writes to the same sector(s). This feature may help to prevent fragmentation because unused sectors are written first instead of writing again to sectors freed by file deletions. Because of sparing, Direct CD writing is not done the same way as a hard drive, which writes to any available space (causing fragmentation).

I don’t know if sparing technology is used with InCD, as I have no knowledge of Nero releasing any useful information about InCD.