Using GGW-H20L with Windows 7

I have a GGW-H20L on a GA-M55SLI-S4 rev 2.0 Mobo and have recently upgraded to Windows 7. It seems the drive is not supported under Win 7, is there a firmware flash available that will make this work under win 7. LG do not supply one.

Hi whatwall and welcome,

Well the latest firmware is the YL05 and i can say that the drive works fine on windows[B]7[/B]/[B]vista[/B] & [B]xp[/B], see if it’s recognized in the BIOS.

Yes it is listed in the BIOS as

HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L. It appears on the system as working, but will not read any disks

Mine works just fine under Win7 64 bit.

Have you tried the Windows Fix It tool? There is a link in my signature that says [I]Microsoft support for optical drives[/I]. Try that first.

You can also try uninstalling the upper and lower filters. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

Or you can try uninstalling the drive in Device Manager, reboot and let the system find the drive again.

As Kerry said, check also the device manager, also do you have any cd/dvd emulatiors? If yes, try to remove them.

Thanks, I tried all those, It seems that it will now read a DVD, but does not recognise CDs. I do not know if this was previous, but after doing the suggested actions, I fetched a DVD and it was read, but still ont CDs

I have a clean install of Windows 7 Pro, and do not think I have any CD/DVD emulators installed.

Whatwall

The drive uses a different frequency laser for reading and writing to dvds vs cds. It is possible for one part of the drive to have a mechanical failure and not read or write cds, but still work for dvds.

And of course the blu ray laser is completely different. Does the drive read and write to blu ray successfully? It should also be able to read HD-DVD’s if you happen to have any of them.

You could try cleaning the lens of the drive, but there is no guarantee that will help.