Using DVDFAB Platinum and trying to get it encoded to native format

I have no idea if this is in the right forum or not, but I do know that I am a newbie!:iagree:

I am using DVDFAB Platinum and DVDFAB Mobile, and I am trying to stream the movie over from my Buffalo NAS box to my PS3.

My question is why when I rip and encode the movie in MPEG4 for the PS3 the aspect ratio is not correct?:confused: The movie is in 2:35 aspect ratio and it puts it in a 16:9 format. So when watching the movie, everyone is about 2 to 3 inches taller and lost about 30 pounds. Is there other formats I can use to stream to the PS3 that I could try?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to throw this in. I select the DD 5.1 track to encode with it, but when I stream the movie over I have to use Dolby pro logic instead. It seems like it ins’t including the surround sound.

I am trying to put my DVD collection on the NAS box so I can be extremely lazy and not have to get up off of the couch to put the DVD in. I can just scroll to the movie on the PS3 and start it that way. Actually it’s not because I am lazy, I am going for the wow factor in my HT room.:cool:

Please tell me it is a simple click to make this work correctly!

Thanks in advance for anyone’s thoughts or suggestions on this matter.

Cheers,
JJ

Hopefully a member of the MOD Squad will transfer this to the DVDFab forum so you can get the help you are looking for :cool:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2198588]Hopefully a member of the MOD Squad will transfer this to the DVDFab forum so you can get the help you are looking for :cool:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I had a feeling that it might have been in the wrong place! Is there anyway to contact a moderator to have this moved over?

Maybe if I throw a few obscenities in here that would get the moderator’s attention!:disagree: Yeah, probably not a good idea… :bigsmile:

Cheers,
JJ

The Mod Squad is at your service Stormjumper. :wink:

Thanks Alan1476 for the quick move!

You be da man :bigsmile: thanks :flower:

First off what version of DVDfab are you using?

Are you changing anything in the advanced resolution tab?

Try test run using all the defaults

I downloaded the trial version last weekend. I would imagine that it is the latest version, but I have not gone back to see yet either.

I have tried running it through with defaults and I have tried messing with some of the advance options.

I do notice that when the DVD is first read in to so all the different sections that the main movie line has 16:9 at the end of it. So I don’t know if something is defaulting it to that or if something on the dis is doing it.

I also select just the first audio track the shows the DD sign and says AC 3/5.1 in English of course. When it is done and I stream it to the PS3, I don’t get any DD coming through and the receiver switches over to pro-logic or something of the sorts.

Thanks for the reply,
JJ

[QUOTE=jjmj427;2198302]I have no idea if this is in the right forum or not, but I do know that I am a newbie!:iagree:

I am using DVDFAB Platinum and DVDFAB Mobile, and I am trying to stream the movie over from my Buffalo NAS box to my PS3.

My question is why when I rip and encode the movie in MPEG4 for the PS3 the aspect ratio is not correct?:confused: The movie is in 2:35 aspect ratio and it puts it in a 16:9 format. So when watching the movie, everyone is about 2 to 3 inches taller and lost about 30 pounds. Is there other formats I can use to stream to the PS3 that I could try?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to throw this in. I select the DD 5.1 track to encode with it, but when I stream the movie over I have to use Dolby pro logic instead. It seems like it ins’t including the surround sound.

I am trying to put my DVD collection on the NAS box so I can be extremely lazy and not have to get up off of the couch to put the DVD in. I can just scroll to the movie on the PS3 and start it that way. Actually it’s not because I am lazy, I am going for the wow factor in my HT room.:cool:

Please tell me it is a simple click to make this work correctly!

Thanks in advance for anyone’s thoughts or suggestions on this matter.

Cheers,
JJ[/QUOTE]

The PLAYSTATION 3 supports the following movie and video file formats:

Disc Formats
DVD Video with either region [1] or [ALL] 1
DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW1, 3
Blu-ray Discsâ„¢ (BD) containing video content with region code [A]5, 7, 8, 10
BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10

MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)

[B][/B]MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3 (Dolby Digital), LPCM)

MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2) AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)

Memory Stickâ„¢ Video Formats
MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
[B]H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC LC) [/B]

AVI
Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
Motion JPEG (u-Law)

MP4 File Format
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)

DivX and VC-1 (WMV)6
Requires PLAYSTATION 3 system software version 2.10 or higher.

Things to note about movie/video formats and playback :

Depending on the data type, some files may not be playable or some control panel options may not function during playback.
Some video files distributed over the Internet have playback restrictions. For details, contact the content provider.
When using a USB adaptor to play video files, you may need to use a USB adaptor (not included) that supports copyright-protection features (to play copyright-protected files). When using a USB adaptor to play AVCHD-format video files saved on Memory Stick media, use a device that supports Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0).
If your video files are copy protected, they may not play on the PLAYSTATION 3 system.

1 When outputting DVD content or PLAYSTATION®3 format software in SD resolution, only discs recorded in the NTSC standard can be played.

2 Multi-channel Super Audio CD playback requires a multi-channel audio receiver with HDMI input.

3 Playback only.

4 Playback of BD-RE ver 1.0 discs is not supported.

5 Copyright-protected Blu-ray video discs can only be output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard.

6 To play VC-1 (WMV) format files, you must go to (Settings) > (System Settings) and set [Enable WMA Playback]. Copyright-protected files or files that were encoded by using DivX 3.11 cannot be played.

7 With system update version 2.10 or greater, Blu-ray Disc Profile 1.1 is now supported. This allows the “Picture in Picture” feature to be used with some Profile 1.1-compatible Blu-ray Discs. Features available vary depending on the disc.

8 Blu-ray Discs programmed in 1080p 24Hz are supported via the HDMI port only. To enable this setting go to [Settings] > [BD/DVD Settings] > [BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)] and change this setting to “Automatic.” Note that both the display/AV amplifier (receiver) and the Blu-ray Disc in use must support 1080p 24Hz for this output to be supported.

9 BD-R version 1.2 (LTH* BD-R) discs can now be played.

• LTH, or low to high, is a recording method that supports organic dye, write once BD-R media.

10 With system software version 2.20 or greater, Blu-ray Profile 2.0 (BD-Live) is now supported. You can connect to the Internet while playing discs that support this format so that you can obtain additional features. Features that are available vary depending on the software in use.

Hope this helps

Try Generic.avi.xvid.source audio

MonkeyCowboy,

Thanks for the information!:iagree:  I will have to read through that a few times to get my head around it all.  

Here is what I am running to accomplish streaming movies to the PS3.

Buffalo Network Attached Storage unit (Movie storage)
PS3
Onkyo 805

I have a wired gigabit network setup which includes the PS3, router, switch and PC. The PS3 and Onkyo are all hooked up via HDMI.

I haven’t even thought of trying to rip a Bluray Disc yet. I am trying to rip and encode the movie Shooter that is SD content. Once I get that mastered then I will attempt a BD.

1. With the equipment that I have, am I setup and ready to go for streaming HD?

I will try ripping and encoding the movie as you suggested.

1. Would Mpeg 2 be a viable option? I am not to worried about storage at the moment. I just purchased a 2TB NAS box to hold all the media.

Again, thanks for you replies! I will try ripping that movie again as you suggested and report back later this evening. \

1. Should I rip it with the 2-pass method as from the screen shot above?

Thanks again,
JJ

Here are a few pictures of the what I am trying this go around. It did not have the same aspect ratio as what you had up there.

If you notice in the first picture when you see the main movie line, at the end of the line it is 16:9 apsect but the movie is 2.35 aspect? What is yours and anyone elses thought on this?

Cheers,
JJ

I would increase the bitrate to get the bits/pixel higher (.4 is a good place to start). If your output still comes out looking stretched, make sure you have cropping enabled and choose an output resolution with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1.

[QUOTE=jjmj427;2199256]Here are a few pictures of the what I am trying this go around. It did not have the same aspect ratio as what you had up there.

If you notice in the first picture when you see the main movie line, at the end of the line it is 16:9 apsect but the movie is 2.35 aspect? What is yours and anyone elses thought on this?

Cheers,
JJ[/QUOTE]

looks good how did it turn out?

The generic format would not play. It said that the format was not supported. So I am trying again on PS3 setting and trying the bitrate around .4 as mentioned. I have cropping set to automatic. Aspect ratio is around 2.36 or so.

I will report back tomorrow once I have a chance to check out how it comes out this time.

I am more than willing to try any suggestions anyone has!

Thanks for taking time to try and help me get this figured out.

Cheers,
JJ

[QUOTE=jjmj427;2199393]The generic format would not play. It said that the format was not supported. So I am trying again on PS3 setting and trying the bitrate around .4 as mentioned. I have cropping set to automatic. Aspect ratio is around 2.36 or so.

I will report back tomorrow once I have a chance to check out how it comes out this time.

I am more than willing to try any suggestions anyone has!

Thanks for taking time to try and help me get this figured out.

Cheers,
JJ[/QUOTE]
I was afraid of that I don’t have a PS3 so I can not try it. It work with the xbox so I thought it was worth a try.

Just a thought will it play on the PC using WMP 11?

Sorry about getting back to everyone with the results from the last attempt. I have been away from the house pretty well for the last two days.

The picture came out alright this time:), but I am still only getting stereo sound only after being encoded. :frowning:

I know the disc is 5.1 Dolby Digital. Does anyone have any ideas on getting the DD through when encoding? Does streaming the movie to the PS3 have anything to do with maybe only getting stereo output?

MonkeyCowboy,
I deleted the previous attempt before I got your message to try it in Media player 11.

Getting closer, keep the suggestions coming!

Cheers,
JJ

Here are the results after the last attempt to rip and encode the movie.

When I play this in WMP 11 it actually plays in 2.40 cinematic mode. In the properties for sound I believe that it said AC3 Filter. So I really don’t know while playing it in the WMP if DD is coming out or not.

So if I am seeing cinematic mode through WMP 11 why is it not streaming to the PS3 the same way?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Cheers,
JJ

Do you have an AC3 codec installed?

Have you gotten the same results form other movies too?

I’v had good luck streaming VOB passthrough to my PS3. It is one file that is in the native format, the A/V is unchanged. I don’t have the setup you do but it works fine with Tversity. You’ll find it under generic the left dropdown.
It is a large file, the same as the movie but in one file that is perfect for streaming.

[QUOTE=Monkeycowboy;2201229]Do you have an AC3 codec installed?

Have you gotten the same results form other movies too?[/QUOTE]

Is the AC3 codec something that would need to be installed on the PS3?

The answer to your second question is yes, but I will try another movie that isn’t an animated one. Not sure if that would really make a difference anyway.

[QUOTE=90312;2201257]I’v had good luck streaming VOB passthrough to my PS3. It is one file that is in the native format, the A/V is unchanged. I don’t have the setup you do but it works fine with Tversity. You’ll find it under generic the left dropdown.
It is a large file, the same as the movie but in one file that is perfect for streaming.[/QUOTE]

I might try doing the VOB file also. I haven’t had any luck with getting my PS3 to see TVersity on my computer though.