Using divx to dvd aspect ratio problems

vbimport

Thought i’d found the perfect easy answer to my problems when I found divx to dvd
BUT.
When the conversion is finished I have a movie in a little square in the middle of a huge black box.
Tried forcing 16:9 but still squashed into a little 4:3.
Driving me mad, d/loaded new version and is the same, help please.

You ‘may’ be making the same assumption I made recently…

…‘some’ conversions do exactly what you have said in ‘some’ software players. The DivX Networks DivX player does this on ‘some’(/maybe all since recent version?) VOBs output by DivXToDVD BUT when I took that faith step and actually burned it to DVD, everything in the stand-alone player was fine. :smiley:

It may simply be a ‘header type’ error ‘possibly’ caused by DivXToDVD which software players are ‘sensitive’ to. In my experience tho’ the end target is more robust and displays the image as it should be. Give it a go but YMMV.

Have you tried editing the aspect ratio with IFOEdit (http://www.bcn246.com/downloads/ifoedit0971.zip)?
Open all the IFO files, and then double click on the main video, where it will say the current aspect ratio:

double click it, and bring up this:

Make sure that 16:9 is selected, and only “Automatic Letterboxed” is checked. Then save this IFO, and repeat for all the other IFOs in the DVD.

Then try and play the DVD, it should work ok now, if not, try dvdSanta ($30).

Ben :slight_smile:

Thanks for input guys but I think the problem lays with divxtodvd and not the source.
I burned another one onto a dvd and played it on my standalone and it was the same squashed up little 4:3 ratio.
To much of a coincedence that the 2 movies i’ve done have come out the same, when i’ve done over 30 with nerovision express and none come out like it.
Any more ideas would be appreciated.

it would be useful if you send your log to vso support team.

Mailed technical support and received no reply, I am using a trial version, so maybe don’t support trial customers, if I can sort out the problem I would be more than happy to buy it, but if I had bought it and had this problem I would want a refund because all my conversions are being reduced to a small box in the middle of my widescreen tv.
Lapinou- do you have any suggestions? when I downloaded the program I bypassed a page of options, should I have changed anything???
I didn’t save the log, but if need be I can run it through again and send it to you.
Please let me know.
thanks steve.

Just quick update, done as bcn_246 suggests and makes a small improvement.
when the movie is viewed before the conversion it is squashed into a small box.
When I view the sample which comes with the movie it is perfect 16:9, after the conversion it is reduced to the little square in big black 4 sided borders, so the programm must be messing it up.
Does anyone else have the smae problem???

could any one please tell me the software i need to copy divx to dvd and tell me how to get it thanks

hi firstly why do i get this in the source box when i dont have this file? i just installed new app? not used it yet?

[Music Video] - Atomic Kitten - Whole Again [DVB-Rip by liv4evr].avi

===================================
but forget that i have the same problem as above…

i have a query on divxtodvd? can you shed some light on it?

ok i converted this file

2046 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 480*576 (0.83:1),

from a svcd mpeg and in its original state it would fill the screen on play back!

now when i used divxtodvd on all possible conversion formats like 16:9 4:3 PAL NTSC AUTO…

it made a little veiwing window when it was vobs? sort of half the size of your tv screen placed in the center? I DID BURN TO DVDR TOO! still the same!

and the files converted useing gspot and avicodec say what is was like… but in reality it wasnt like the below it just seemed it.

NTSC 16:9 = 9000 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 720*480 (2.21:1), MPG2 = MPEG 2 (SVCD/DVD)

PAL 16:9 = 9000 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 720*576 (2.21:1), MPG2 = MPEG 2 (SVCD/DVD)

AUTO = 9000 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 720*576 (16:9), MPG2 = MPEG 2 (SVCD/DVD)

16:9 made a long vertical box with a short width? sort of opposite to what it should be??

but all conversions on ANY! settings made a small screen, small viewing box placed in center of TV.

so in the end i used tmpgenc on it and it actually made the original file of 724 MB, 2046 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 480*576 (0.83:1),

to

PAL 16:9 198 MB, 9000 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 720*576 (2.21:1), MPG2 = MPEG 2 (SVCD/DVD)

go figure?

not sure if we have been lucky on what comes out of divxtodvd with regard to avi or not?

Hi,

In order for VSO to take a closer look at the problem they will need a sequence of the file (svcd mpeg–original state) a dixain (ten) of mega in FTP if you do not have FTP VSO can provide that to you.

I had the some problen when using 6:9 ratio. It seems that Tv doesn’t get the right codes to adjust the screen size. The width always displays as 4:3 no matter what aspect ratio you select but the hight does change so the picture get ‘squashed’. The only way I have been able to get aroud this is to use 4:3 ratio. This way the origional aspect ratio is preserved ( whatever that happens to be) on 4:3 and to manually correct the screen size on wide screen tv. If you always use 6.9 TV you can code to that ratio and then manually tell your TV to play at 6:9. This works for my setup. I hope VSO sorts the problem out soon because its realy the only fault I have found with this program.