Using a DVD-R as a CD-R?

I rarely use blank media anymore. I burn perhaps 5 a year.

I just noticed I have no more blank CD-Rs and I might want to burn a group of songs to a disc in the next few weeks.

I have about 75 blank Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs. At the rate I use them, they will probably sit mostly unused for the next 5 or even 10 years.

Can I burn music WAV files to one of these DVD discs? If I burn music WAV files onto them, will they be playable ONLY in a DVD player and not be playable in typical CD players?

Assuming they won’t play in a CD player, can anyone point me to an online source for Taiyo Yuden CD-R blanks in lots of 50 or less? I don’t want to buy a full 100 count cakebox since I use so few of them and don’t want to have to consider shelf life as a possible problem.

[QUOTE=ignatzatsonic;2288760]I rarely use blank media anymore. I burn perhaps 5 a year.

I just noticed I have no more blank CD-Rs and I might want to burn a group of songs to a disc in the next few weeks.

I have about 75 blank Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs. At the rate I use them, they will probably sit mostly unused for the next 5 or even 10 years.

Can I burn music WAV files to one of these DVD discs? If I burn music WAV files onto them, will they be playable ONLY in a DVD player and not be playable in typical CD players?

Assuming they won’t play in a CD player, can anyone point me to an online source for Taiyo Yuden CD-R blanks in lots of 50 or less? I don’t want to buy a full 100 count cakebox since I use so few of them and don’t want to have to consider shelf life as a possible problem.[/QUOTE]
you do not want to burn to DVD then, where are you located? Chances are you will have to purchase 100.

I’m located in Arizona. There are Best Buy stores near me that sell CD-Rs in smaller amounts, but I’m not sure I can identify TY discs from their current inventory of Maxell, Sony, TDK, etc.

Can you answer my questions above about using a DVD-R disc as a CD-R?

[QUOTE=ignatzatsonic;2288782]I’m located in Arizona. There are Best Buy stores near me that sell CD-Rs in smaller amounts, but I’m not sure I can identify TY discs from their current inventory of Maxell, Sony, TDK, etc.[/quote]“Made in Japan” is a good indicator for TY discs :wink:

Can you answer my questions above about using a DVD-R disc as a CD-R?
You can’t use DVD media in CD players.

Michael

Also I doubt regaular dvd players will accept any DVD media containing WAVE files.

yeah, you’re not going to get great results burning dvds with music.

In the U.S, I recommend two sources of Taiyo Yuden CDs.
1: Sony “Music” CDs, package branded for Walkman. Make sure the package says "Made in Japan"
2: Your only other option is to search online. My favourite American online media store is GenesysDTP.
http://www.genesysdtp.com/ - you can get an order of TY CDs in as low a quantity as 10 discs there!