Using 1 monitor for 2 cpu's

is it possible to run 1 monitor, it has 2 inputs, i vga and 1 dvi, on two cpus? i would hook 1 to each input. I didnt know if this would cause any interference.

Hi,[QUOTE=AWILLIAMS64;2228123]is it possible to run 1 monitor, it has 2 inputs, i vga and 1 dvi, on two cpus? i would hook 1 to each input. I didnt know if this would cause any interference.[/QUOTE]it should be possible to connect the monitor via VGA to comp#1 and via DVI to comp#2. In theory. You may read the manual of your monitor if there are any recommendations about that. At least you need a button to select the input source (my Eizo screen @ work has such a button “SIGNAL 1-2”).

If anything fails, you can use a KVM ([B]K[/B]eyboard [B]M[/B]ouse [B]M[/B]onitor) switch. These are rather inexpensive nowadays.

Michael

i have a button to select dvi or analog input. i thought about the kvm, but i figure if i can get away without getting one i would. i did not know if i could switch back and forth with a kvm without shutting anything down. I would like to be able to go back and forth easily between cpu’s.

Hi,[QUOTE=AWILLIAMS64;2228164]i have a button to select dvi or analog input.[/quote]This should be fine then.

i did not know if i could switch back and forth with a kvm without shutting anything down. I would like to be able to go back and forth easily between cpu’s.
That’s really easy, since KVMs are designed for that purpose. With my KVM, I had to hit the right Ctrl key twice to switch from comp#1 to comp#2 and back.

But since you have an input select button, there shouldn’t be a problem to connect two computers to the monitor.

Michael

A kvm switch might still be better though as it will allow you to also use one mouse and one keyboard for both computers. You can get cheap ones for 20-30$.

[QUOTE=ripit;2228241]A kvm switch might still be better though as it will allow you to also use one mouse and one keyboard for both computers. You can get cheap ones for 20-30$.[/QUOTE]

Trendnet has some nice cheap ones.
I have 4 computers on 1 switch with the 1 keyboard and 1 mouse and 1 monitor.
Just by pushing the button ( or ketboard combination ) and I can bounce around from computer to computer with no problems.