Users complain en masse about Lastpass doubling price of Premium subscription

Originally published at: http://www.myce.com/news/users-complain-en-masse-lastpass-doubling-price-premium-subscription-82353/

Password manager Lastpass has doubled the price of its yearly Premium subscription. The yearly fee is increased from $12 to $24 and new Premium subscribers can no longer use the shared folders feature. This functionality is now only available for subscribers to the new Family plan which sells at $48 per year.

This is the latest trend, either upping the price, or actually adding a yearly sub to an app that was bought as a lifetime sub. CCleaner has tried this on me, asking for around $20 for another year! I bought this many years ago. I guess they are just trying it on as after an initial glitch when it opening, it now works fine. I dare say it will continue to work as well as it always did, Oh, the other thing, it just updated it’s self? I’m Sick of yearly subs, it’s getting expensive. I will stop using the apps that don’t have a free version. Bugger it, I’m not the bank of England!

I get people being upset but $24 a year is still cheap. For years and years I didn’t use a password manager but my memory is getting worse and the number of sites I use is increasing so I used LastPass for about 6 months but dumped it after one too many security issues on their end. I’ve now switched to Sticky Password which is better, IMO, with a lifetime license. Nonetheless, it really comes down to how much people need the software and how much they use it. For many people a password manager is a lifesaver. So, is $24 really too much?

In short, I get people being annoyed but… really? I think there are bigger issues to get upset over. Just my opinion, of course.

Personally I think the best way to do a price increase is to do it for new customers/subscriptions only, like what MalwareBytes seem to do.

For example, I support multiple YouTube creators with a $1/month pledge on Patreon. In return I get to see their videos ad-free and a few days early, great for asking questions, which otherwise get buried in the 1000s of public comments once the video goes public. A few weeks ago, I found out that Patreon now charges a $0.35 fee on top of each new $1/month pledge (which they didn’t announce), while existing pledges don’t have any fees added. Had they added this fee to every pledge I currently make, I’m not sure if I would have kept on using Patreon, considering they kept promoting how they maximise the amount of money that goes from what the user pays to what the creator receives.

As DLAD says, is $24 dollars too much, well I guess not if you want, need and use a programme. I don’t like being cheated out of a lifetime subscription, it’s happened too many times to me. The other annoyance is some of the upgrades, most of the time it’s a waste of money, because the proggies I have work fine and I don’t need anything else. “Upgrade to the new super deluxe version it has bells and whistles on” It’s only $50 to you" I realise these companies have to make money, but it all seems a bit underhanded sometimes. As for passwords, I use a simple system with a code that rotates when I want to change it and no, I ain’t got a fantastic memory. (now what was I going on about?) Oh yeah, it’s great if you are well off, a few dollars here and there doesn’t really notice, when you are not well off, it adds up to a huge amount. I do like to eat occasionally.

Good thing, I use a different version that is portable and Desktop install that doesn’t nickel/dime it’s users. Maybe it’s time Lastpass user switch to a competitor that allows more user control and has a portable version instead. I use Keepass which is free and allow me control of my accounts and password without having to worry about putting it on the cloud for hackers to go after like they did last time when LastPass got hacked. If you think they won’t try again then your living in “Alice in wonderland” here. Go portable USB Keepass and never look back. I keep Potable and Desktop install but they have password protection so just cause they get the file they first have to break the variable password to begin to get the file and that wouldn’t interested the hacker to start-they want fast and quick and get out less time to get noticed and tracked. As good as the cloud I trust it as much as rubbing salt in open fessing wounds. Clouds are prime target for hackers looking for your passwords and LastPass is Prime Target on a constant basis and don’t think they aren’t trying for it.

[quote=“voxsmart, post:2, topic:398921, full:true”]
This is the latest trend, either upping the price, or actually adding a yearly sub to an app that was bought as a lifetime sub. CCleaner has tried this on me, asking for around $20 for another year! I bought this many years ago. I guess they are just trying it on as after an initial glitch when it opening, it now works fine. I dare say it will continue to work as well as it always did, Oh, the other thing, it just updated it’s self? I’m Sick of yearly subs, it’s getting expensive. I will stop using the apps that don’t have a free version. Bugger it, I’m not the bank of England!
[/quote]I just turn off CCeaner update that way I don’t have to worry when it checks it will not update because I choose the option to disable updates. Maybe you should look into that when installing CCleaner-that option is there but the user must make the change.

[quote=“DrinkLyeAndDie, post:3, topic:398921, full:true”]
I get people being upset but $24 a year is still cheap. For years and years I didn’t use a password manager but my memory is getting worse and the number of sites I use is increasing so I used LastPass for about 6 months but dumped it after one too many security issues on their end. I’ve now switched to Sticky Password which is better, IMO, with a lifetime license. Nonetheless, it really comes down to how much people need the software and how much they use it. For many people a password manager is a lifesaver. So, is $24 really too much?
In short, I get people being annoyed but… really? I think there are bigger issues to get upset over. Just my opinion, of course.
[/quote]Then get Keepass it’s free to use and install. I got the USB portable version and Desktop version so I can sync changes from one to the other so I never get the wrong password. Plus, I have both password encrypted so just because someone gets the file they will be trying til they go into the grave to figure it out.