User friendly idiot proof dvd burner - recommendations

Hi,
My computer is a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz with 528 MB of memory. I have an asus P4PE motherboard, my os is win xp pro (with service pack 2 installed). I have a 120 GB hard disc. I have a Toshiba SD -M1712 DVd Rom Drive and an Assus 4824 cdr/rw drive. I would like to buy a dvd burner. However, having read a number of posts on this subject, I see that sometimes people have trouble with their DMA settings and what not with their DVD burners. I am a total newbie when it comes to these things - I would like simplicity and the ideal that all I have to do is plug in and the play will follow with no hassel. It is because of this I thought it would be better to buy an external burner - if so which ones would you recommend. Is there one based (or a rebadged) on the NEC 3500 or Benq1620? I was thinking of getting the new Plextor - but given its price and the initial reaction in these forums to the internal version - I am not so sure that I should buy the Plextor716UF (when it comes out). I don’t even mind an internal - if it is relatively hassel free and idiot proof.
BTW, I will use the burner to back up films and to make DVD’s from my home video (mainly VHS - some digital) library.

Many thanks for any input any of you may have.

Yo-

Your choice of the 3500 or 1620 are very good considerations and your qualms about the new Plextor are well founded-

I have two 3500’s and they work great for me - and did so right out of the box-

Good prices from a high quality reseller at www.newegg.com-

Highly recommend using good “A” grade media such as Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or Ritek and very good resellers with great prices are www.rima.com and www.supermediastore.com

Happy Burnin’

Mike

Pioneer 108 or NEC 3500A.

Yo-

The Pioneer 108 is good too-

Mike

Pioneer 108

Chosing a good drive is important but I would suggest that you read a little in the tutorials about the type of software you are going to use. I think more people have software problems than hardware problems. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: