Usenet News Server Deal... unlimited, 20 connections, SSL .... $11

vbimport

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

Deal has been going on for a few months, but it sounds like it might be closing up soon.

I’ve been w/ newshosting for years now… but this deal is too good to pass on. 2 of my other buddies have switched over.

You can test server speeds/traceroute to your IP from a link off the homepage at
http://www.news.astraweb.com/index.html

I am seeing my comc@ct connection maxed out (same as w/ newshosting) and with 160 days of retention (always going up, a month ago it was 150 days) with 20 connections avail (for those with bad@ss ISPs) and SSL (if you want to implement it) … quite the sweet deal

AstraWeb is pretty mjr, they actually sell service to many many various third party usenet service vendors…

this deal locks you in at 11$ for as long as you continue to subscribe.

vs. newshosting
vs giganews

AstraWeb wins in my book.

Happy deal finding!:slight_smile:

At least in the past Astraweb has had major retention issues, where the actual retention was far less than they were claiming. Hence the reason why I ditched them. I hope it has improved since then.

This deal is actually a few months old but a good deal none the less.

The retention issue I know some have seen though I have not.

They are not a Highwinds reseller so that is a plus.

I switched from usenetsever to Astraweb about a month ago. The speeds and retention have been fantastic.

Astraweb is the best bargain for usenet on the web. 160 days of retention for $11 a month is insane.

yeah, someone i know online who uses astraweb and so far he likes it… he used to use newshosting which was also good but costs more.

main thing that i think is better about newshosting is that it aint locked to ip range from what he said, meaning that you can share account info with a few people unlike astraweb from what i understood… cause i was using his newshosting account but after he switched they finally canceled it and now i have no newsgroup’s which sucks cause once you have those it’s hard going without them :frowning:

I’ve used astraweb as a secondary provider since 2004 - they are excellent and the pay per download works out for the best deal for me. My ISP uses Giganews, which has better speed and retention (going back to about 1 year), but I only have 2GB of downloads each month.

[QUOTE=NBR;2143154]

main thing that i think is better about newshosting is that it aint locked to ip range from what he said, meaning that you can share account info with a few people unlike astraweb from what i understood… cause i was using his newshosting account but after he switched they finally canceled it and now i have no newsgroup’s which sucks cause once you have those it’s hard going without them :([/QUOTE]

Astraweb’s unlimited accts are in the same nature as newshostings… basically no concurrent (two diff IP addy’s or more) ip’s should be trying to use one acct… Some of the pay for bandwidth as you go plans allow concurrent ip’s to connect, but I recall my friends getting a warning email from newshosting back in 2006 after a couple of yrs of sharing one acct from different house on campus … the acct was never canceled but the guys ended up getting their own accts…

I checked w/ astraweb beforehand because I can’t be locked to an IP , im on DHCP networks most of the day and not being able to connect from different IP addresses would be a deal breaker. They are more stringent about folks abiding by this concurrent use of one acct policy nowadays.

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2143480]My ISP uses Giganews, which has better speed and retention (going back to about 1 year), but I only have 2GB of downloads each month.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you dont have Cablevision, Comcast, RoadRunner, Sprint or
AT&T with more expected to join this list.

Comcast informed customers on 2-Oct that it will no longer provide any access to Usenet. This is no doubt their lame response to the NY AG Andrew Cuomo’s abuse of power reported in many outlets this summer.

Comcast terminated the Giganews contract on 16-Sep and will terminate all access on 25-Oct.

The only option for Comcast users to access Usenet is one of the trashed up free services or pay a significant amount of coin to a third party like Giganews. (Newshosting has been great for 14.95 but not that good of retention #'s). That’s why I like this astraweb deal.

Changing networks is not an option for a vast number of customers as there is no other network in many places. It’s still Comcast or Dialup even in many heavily developed places.

I’ve come to accept that this discontinuation of newsgroup access won’t decrease my monthly bill by any means :disagree:

Some interesting usenet related articles about the shutdown & future…

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=&articleId=9116064&taxonomyId=&intsrc=kc_feat

thanks for letting us know about the special. i just signed. i suspened my giganews account for a month while i try out astraweb. so far so good. it maxes out my 16 Mbit line just like giganews

@ adderal said, "Astraweb’s unlimited accts are in the same nature as newshostings… basically no concurrent (two diff IP addy’s or more) ip’s should be trying to use one acct… Some of the pay for bandwidth as you go plans allow concurrent ip’s to connect, but I recall my friends getting a warning email from newshosting back in 2006 after a couple of yrs of sharing one acct from different house on campus … the acct was never canceled but the guys ended up getting their own accts…

I checked w/ astraweb beforehand because I can’t be locked to an IP , im on DHCP networks most of the day and not being able to connect from different IP addresses would be a deal breaker. They are more stringent about folks abiding by this concurrent use of one acct policy nowadays."

my reply… so your saying astraweb dont lock to the ip range that the account is signed up to? , but u say they are picky (like dont let you use it) on 2 concurrent connects from different people?

also, anyone try megabitz.net ? , cause they have a 8 day free trail (110 days data retention) and great pricing for what i want (i.e. 2x 256kbps connections (unlimited downloading) for $51.95 per year! :slight_smile: ) , cause i only have 384kbps DSL (i.e. 40KB/s download/upload) anyways… and 2 256kbps connections would max me out and it’s unlimited downloads to.

well i took the plunge and ‘so far’ megabitz.net seems decent but i was reading around and i heard they have occasional downtimes etc etc so it might be ‘safer’ to stick with astraweb or newshosting etc.

just some thoughts but i got a 7 day free trail on megabitz.net

[QUOTE=NBR;2144403]well i took the plunge and ‘so far’ megabitz.net seems decent but i was reading around and i heard they have occasional downtimes etc etc so it might be ‘safer’ to stick with astraweb or newshosting etc.

just some thoughts but i got a 7 day free trail on megabitz.net[/QUOTE]

It sounds like with your limited bandwidth that going with such a plan like the one you mentioned from megabitz is a savings and utilizing your connection fully.

You were dead on with your assumption of what I was trying to say about astraweb. They don’t limit the range of IP’s …they just don’t like seeing a pattern of two different IP’s connected through the same unlimited account at the same time.

Astraweb has been maxing out my connection with around 800-836 kB/s down.

I highly recommend SABnzbd http://www.sabnzbd.org/ if you haven’t looked into it yet… It’s a real slick python scripted nzb parser that is light on system resources it uses and allocates bandwidth to http traffic appropriately (so if you have a house or share an apt, usenet downloads are usually so detrimental to everyone elses normal browsing, of course you could do some packet routing/limiting through your router, but sab does a good job on it’s own)

It also can utilize SSL connections if your newsgroup provider provides the service.

I used ‘newsleecher’ for years…and I used to do quite a bit of posting through it in certain news discussion, but that’s tailed off in the last year… SABnzbd is a sourceforge based open project and the development team is top notch…

It does all the par’ing and un-raring and clean up on its own w/o user intervention… it took a few days of getting used to, but I’m extremely pleased now with about 90% of it. I still use newsleecher occasionally.

@ adderal … sounds good :wink: , but i been using the free Alt.Binz (www.altbinz.com) newsgroup client and it works great and it’s free but only side effect is that even though they keep updating it, the newest version’s are not really free anymore since in order to get the newest version you have to donate money to the project etc… so the last free version available to public is version 0.25.0 which is what im using but all i do is load .nzb files into it and it pretty much takes care of the rest… and it automatically handles .par files so if you happen to download something and a little bit of data gets corrupted, it fixes the data by itself (assuming your download includes .par files) :wink:

but ill have to look into it as it appears it’s a solid alternative to alt.binz and it’s completely free and appears to be updated semi-often :wink:

but you where saying that newsgroups tax your internet connection to where general internet surfing bogs down? , cause even though i can notice it slows my general web browsing down when im downloading at max speed on newsgroups, it’s not anywhere near as bad as downloading a torrent which is running many many multiple connections which brings my web browsing to a CRAWL! lol … i know i only have 40KB/s down speed but there’s a pretty significant difference between 2-3connections using newsgroups (i.e. i can still browse website at a decent speed) compared to torrents with a crapload of connections which brings basic web browsing etc to a crawl. (i.e. basic web browsing etc is practically unusable!)

but like i say if that sabnzbd is anything like alt.binz (which is generally lite on resources) ill definitely take a look at it :wink:

(since i cant edit previous post) UPDATE: i can already find stuff that annoys me about sabnzbd vs alt.binz … it (sabnzbd) seems to not really show details like alt.binz does and it’s overall interface etc dont seem as efficient as alt.binz is, like you can see it’s (alt.binz) icon about it showing downloading stuff so you know it’s downloading and overall from my quick initial impression of brief use, it’s overall feel just aint as good as running the separate alt.binz program.

[B]bottom line for me is… i think that overall alt.binz wins in my book[/B] cause there both lite on resources but i think alt.binz has a overall better setup/interface since you can see if it’s downloading when doing other stuff by seeing it’s small icon running in the task bar etc etc.

cause if your basically just loading .nzb files into your newsreader and then sit back and download i think Alt.Binz is superior cause of it’s better layout/interface… cause it does everything you pretty much need for basic use in a newsgroup client like automatically fixing corrupted files (assuming the file you get has par files with it) and you can quickly access your download folder from it’s main interface and it has it’s own par tab so you can see live as your download progresses what files are good and what ones might possibly be corrupted etc and it has a graph that shows your current download speed on a per connection basis etc.

so maybe sabnzbd has more powerful features that some people might like? , who knows, but for what i do with it… i think Alt.Binz is the superior app hands down.

cause i figure in general if your a person looking for efficiency with interface/overall feel/easy of use etc and not to mention pretty light on resources… at the end of the day it’s going to be pretty hard to beat Alt.Binz in my book.

but thanks anyways for mentioning that SAbnzbd application as it was worth a try and im sure if Alt.Binz did not exist, i might consider using it… but as is, ill stick with Alt.Binz… but who know’s maybe in the future they can tweak it’s interface so it’s more efficient and give you more details as far as seeing download speeds etc of your newsgroup stuff.

[QUOTE=NBR;2144786](since i cant edit previous post) UPDATE: i can already find stuff that annoys me about sabnzbd vs alt.binz … it (sabnzbd) seems to not really show details like alt.binz does and it’s overall interface etc dont seem as efficient as alt.binz is, like you can see it’s (alt.binz) icon about it showing downloading stuff so you know it’s downloading and overall from my quick initial impression of brief use, it’s overall feel just aint as good as running the separate alt.binz program.

[B]bottom line for me is… i think that overall alt.binz wins in my book[/B] cause there both lite on resources but i think alt.binz has a overall better setup/interface since you can see if it’s downloading when doing other stuff by seeing it’s small icon running in the task bar etc etc.

cause if your basically just loading .nzb files into your newsreader and then sit back and download i think Alt.Binz is superior cause of it’s better layout/interface… cause it does everything you pretty much need for basic use in a newsgroup client like automatically fixing corrupted files (assuming the file you get has par files with it) and you can quickly access your download folder from it’s main interface and it has it’s own par tab so you can see live as your download progresses what files are good and what ones might possibly be corrupted etc and it has a graph that shows your current download speed on a per connection basis etc.

so maybe sabnzbd has more powerful features that some people might like? , who knows, but for what i do with it… i think Alt.Binz is the superior app hands down.

cause i figure in general if your a person looking for efficiency with interface/overall feel/easy of use etc and not to mention pretty light on resources… at the end of the day it’s going to be pretty hard to beat Alt.Binz in my book.

but thanks anyways for mentioning that SAbnzbd application as it was worth a try and im sure if Alt.Binz did not exist, i might consider using it… but as is, ill stick with Alt.Binz… but who know’s maybe in the future they can tweak it’s interface so it’s more efficient and give you more details as far as seeing download speeds etc of your newsgroup stuff.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, that’s pretty much the power of SAB, it allows plug-ins , etc etc to interface with it for up to date stats and the such… I’ve paired my SAB with a custom plugin/addon meant for Firefox and SAB…it does what your speaking of with real time stats, speed, etc at a glance …all inside of your firefox. You can expand and link to features and options with other plugins available. alongside my weather and gmail status bar add-ons …SAB does its job perfectly.

IMHO SAB is more meant for someone into option rich, open ended for modification, and coding… it suits my needs perfectly

one of the extensions avail for download
https://nzbdstatus.bountysource.com/

another major advantage to using this plugin alongside newzbin.com …it turns the .nzb direct download links into SAB icons…one click, download starts…no nzb necessary to save or erase eventually… a small thing, but nice when grabbing say a season worth of episodes. The auto naming configuration settings for tv show series are great too… SAB is option rich, but i see where folks can get the wrong impression because the initial user GUI isn’t point and click so much or the slickest looking pkg (remember, it’s all running off a python script, which is completely editable, MAJOR plus for myself)

Its great to have many free options for nzb parsers out there, in fairly recent history, it was not this way. I say, use whatever makes you feel comfortable and does the job best for you. With a quad core setup, i like being able to utilize a multi processor setup with SAB

Ive turned many of my simple point and click friends on to alt.binz…they love it, it works well for them…for those who enjoy customizing galore and appreciate stream lined code…SAB is where its at

torrents (on my 8down 3up) connection hardly come close to bogging down or showing any apparent slow down … considering i see top speeds of 300-400 kB/s down and like 80-126kB/s up …

check out this thorough review from Slyck.com editor, ‘Tom’

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44163&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=sabnzbd

…okay sorry i got this topic, off-topic lol …hopefully this deal will continue on for a bit so others can take advantage of it if they want

[quote=Dalen Quaice;2143480]I’ve used astraweb as a secondary provider since 2004 - they are excellent and the pay per download works out for the best deal for me. My ISP uses Giganews, which has better speed and retention (going back to about 1 year), but I only have 2GB of downloads each month.[/quote]You didn’t say what your ISP is, but if it happens to be Earthlink that 2GB limit no longer applies. It’s unlimited now! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=larc919;2144995]You didn’t say what your ISP is, but if it happens to be Earthlink that 2GB limit no longer applies. It’s unlimited now! :)[/QUOTE]

Im jealous and envious. Earthlink must not be feeling the same heat/pressure from gov officials, lucky users/subs indeed!!!

@ adderal …

you said, “torrents (on my 8down 3up) connection hardly come close to bogging down or showing any apparent slow down … considering i see top speeds of 300-400 kB/s down and like 80-126kB/s up …”

yeah i agree… it’s just most of the time torrents (at least uTorrent , which is probably one of the best torrent clients) tends to make alot of connections (probably 50-100+) in general which taxes my internet connection quite a bit… which you can make it have less connections but with less connections it seems to kill speed especially on public torrents in general from my own experiences at least on my 40KB/s down/up internet connection.

also about the rest of the stuff you said… i think im going to agree with you there as that’s what i was thinking of SABnzbd is that it’s ‘feature rich’ and im sure it can be of use if you want to learn it and mess with all it’s features but i think for most people Alt.Binz will be pretty hard to beat.

but like you said when first trying it (SABnzbd) for the typical user they might be turned off cause it aint really setup to well for general use by default (cause of lack of the stuff like i explained in my previous post) … but like you said it’s all about the options and i can see how some people could like it quite a bit… especially after it’s tweaked a little like you seemed to have mentioned above.

so even though SABnzbd could potentially be great, i feel (in my opinion) that ‘out of the box’ Alt.Binz is better suited for most people.

just some thoughts :wink:

EDIT: i just got done reading that article and where he said this about Alt.Binz…

“Disadvantages: Like GrabIt, Alt.Binz lacks web interface support. Its GUI is also a bit on the clunky side, and is closed source.”

i disagree there especially in the general navigation, although i might agree if he’s referring to the ‘search’ options it has… which is why i just use usenet search engine websites (which create the .NZB file for you) as that cures that problem :wink:

as for the ‘web interface’ comment… i honestly prefer a non-web interface, so i guess that just depends on what sorta person you are if you will consider that a disadvantage or a advantage… and all honestly i think it’s just easier to click on a small icon in taskbar than it is to access it through a ‘web interface’ in my opinion since as far as i can tell you have to load up that main .exe file in order to load it in your web browser so if you close the web interface on SABnzbd it’s sorta a pain to load it up again without checking you web browsers history etc plus when re-loading that SABnzbd with the main .exe file does that just reload the web interface? , OR does it load up another process? (i.e. so 2 of the SABnzbd programs are running, which would be uneeded)

[quote=adderal;2145016]Im jealous and envious. Earthlink must not be feeling the same heat/pressure from gov officials, lucky users/subs indeed!!![/quote]I’m aware Earthlink could pull the plug any day. But even from their beginning, they have been big on Usenet. I had them back in dial-up days when their retention and completion rates tended to beat everybody else. All that went to hell a few years ago and they imposed a d/l limit. But outsourcing to Supernews and ultimately Giganews when they bought SN hugely changed things for the better.

TWC in my area offers both Roadrunner and Earthlink. They were able to cripple RR, but they don’t own EL. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=NBR;2144403]well i took the plunge and ‘so far’ megabitz.net seems decent but i was reading around and i heard they have occasional downtimes etc etc so it might be ‘safer’ to stick with astraweb or newshosting etc.

just some thoughts but i got a 7 day free trail on megabitz.net[/QUOTE]

i used megabitz for a few months a year ago and 50% of the time i got good speeds…the rest of the time not so good lol and yeah they had their downtimes from time to time…but i would look elsewhere for a newsprovider than them…especially since its been almost a year since they updated their page…also they rarely respond to customers anymore

[QUOTE=Blodulv;2146137]i used megabitz for a few months a year ago and 50% of the time i got good speeds…the rest of the time not so good lol and yeah they had their downtimes from time to time…but i would look elsewhere for a newsprovider than them…especially since its been almost a year since they updated their page…also they rarely respond to customers anymore[/QUOTE]

your right… as far as i can tell unless your talking to them about ‘billing’ they dont seem to respond and i noticed after my free trail was up i signed up for a 3 months @ $13.95 with them and even though so far it works fine for what speeds i am limited to (i.e. 70KB/s , cause i got the “128kbps x4” (512kbps) plan) i noticed when i login to my account on there website it still shows that im on a free trail and that my account expires on Oct 31st 2008 even though im paid til around Jan 30th ish of 2009.

but for me the bottom line ‘so far’ is…

in the couple weeks or so i have been using megabitz overall im happy with them :wink: … cause i noticed a little down time here and there but it was usually only a hour or so (it only happened about twice so far in the couple weeks i been using em) … cause for the low low prices i get, i say megabitz is a solid choice ‘so far’ for people who have slower high speed connections like me (say under 100KB/s) … but if you have a high speed connection (the ones that get like 400-500KB/s+) then overall i would probably recommend the 11 dollar unlimited plan from astraweb.

p.s. main reason i did not get a year from them for 52dollars-ish is cause i wanna see how reliable they are first and i figure for $13.95 for 3month’s (basically 4x 128kbps connections… i.e. 70KB/s is the max i can get but it’s unlimited downloads) it was worth the risk cause worst case scenario i lose $13.95 which aint nothing to bad… and if the site stays reliable after 3 months of use then i know how they are in the bigger picture :wink: