Usenet confusion

vbimport

Could someone pleeeaassse give me a heads-up on how to access the Usenet site. I want to check it out but I’m totally clueless as to: Downloading, system requirements, getting access etc. Also, is it possible to use the Usenet site at no cost? I was told that option is out there. “Usenet for Dummies”, that’s what I need.Thanx

You need a usenet newsserver account to get access to usenet and a usenet client program to access the groups where the posts are.
Finding a good AND free newsserver is like looking for a white raven,as they usually have bad retention and incomplete posts.
Some ISP’s provide a free service,but they’re mostly limited to text posts instead of binaries…

My quick-start suggestion would be as follows:

[ol]
[li]Buy a small block account, e.g. 10GB from NewsDemon.
[/li][li]Get a binary newsgroup reader, e.g. Shemes GrabIt free version.
[/li][li]Find a decent search engine, e.g. binsearch.info, also free to use.
[/li][/ol]

A block account is basically a metered account that does not expire or involve a subscription, much like a pre-pay mobile phone. A small 10GB block can be purchased for around the price of a candy bar (e.g. €1.40 on NewsDemon) and gives plenty to practice with. Once you purchase a block (or subscription), they’ll give you a username, password, server and port # to connect with.

The next step is to install your newsgroup reader and enter the login and server details from your Usenet provider. It will then try to retrieve a list of groups. If this works, then you’re ready to go.

The final step is to find something to download on a Usenet search. E.g. on Binsearch, you would perform a search, tick what you’d like (or group of files if multi part) and click ‘Create NZB’. Once you open this NZB file, your Usenet client will use it to fetch the binary content and if all goes well, you should end up with the files you’re after.

Do be careful with Usenet - It’s flooded with fakes, e.g. password protected files with a “Get password” link that points to pages of ads, surveys, etc. which never real the password. I’m sure 99% of software is booby-trapped, many with infections that no Antivirus product has seen, so certainly don’t get any type of software there.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2722157]You need a usenet newsserver account to get access to usenet and a usenet client program to access the groups where the posts are.
Finding a good AND free newsserver is like looking for a white raven,as they usually have bad retention and incomplete posts.
Some ISP’s provide a free service,but they’re mostly limited to text posts instead of binaries…[/QUOTE]

Thank you for responding,…and the goooood advice.:o:bow:

"Usenet for ‘free/cheap’ " , really? Yeah, right. That’s what I get when I listen to someone who knows a guy,who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy… :o
You get the picture.:doh:

Thanks to everyone who responded. Nice.:slight_smile:

The news server will cost you money for any practical service, there is no getting around that. I personally pay $95.40 a year for unlimited use with up to 20 connections with usenetserver, but different people have their preferences. I use grabit for my newsreader as well as a couple of indexing sites (one mentioned above) to find what I need. Trust me when I say it’s worth paying for the newsgroups service. Much faster and far more secure than anything else out there.

You’re right, paying is worth it and the fees are reasonable. I don’t know what your download speeds are but my ISP “CLAIMS” an average speed of 7 MBps (which is a LIE!), I’m lucky if I see 800 KB----" K I L O " bytes ! They suck ! Of course I have no options because the FCC has allowed COMCAST to monopolize the sector, so I’m stuck with this b#llsh*t. Once…( and this is no lie ), I downloaded some material at…" 11 MBps ! ", and “No”, I wasn’t high. I was in awe. I wish I could get 2MB or 3MB “dependably”…ah, f%ck it.