Usefull options that could be added to CloneDVD2

There are four options i would love to see added to CloneDVD2 that i think could be usefull.

1. Change Book Type for DVD+R to DVD-ROM

2. Change Book Type for DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM

3. Copy DVD on the fly

4. Use multiple recorders

Does anyone else think that these options would be usefull or has anyone got any other suggestions.

This one is already there, at least for some DVD writer brands.

[quote=“Tru”]

This one is already there, at least for some DVD writer brands.[/QUOTE]
Where is the option to change the Book Type for DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM?

I have two Plextor DVDR PX-716A’s that support this feature but i can’t see the option to change the Book Type in CloneDVD2, i can however change the Book Type when i use Plextools, Alcohol 120% and Nero.

I can only answer as a layman. If your drive’s firmware (either official or hacked) supports booktyping “by default”, then simply choosing +R DL as the output size from the drop down menu to the left of the compression meter will result in a DL disk being finalized as a DVD-ROM.

CloneDVD2 does not yet support SL +R booktyping. We are waiting on the next version with high hopes of this feature being included. The problem seems to be that the drive manufacturers and media makers are not all standardizing on the same page yet for DL or SL bitsetting.

Perhaps the more technical or experienced posters or an Elby rep among us can expand, rephrase or correct me.

Best regards,
Whisperer

I have worked out that if the drives firmware supports bitsetting then the Book Type will be changed automatically when burning a disc with CloneDVD2 and there is no need for an option in CloneDVD2 to change the Book Type of DVD+R, DVD+R DL discs to DVD-ROM, but the drives firmware must support bitsetting.

There is no configuration in CloneDVD to set the booktype for DL+ media, as Whisperer1 stated, by selecting +DL as the target size it will automatically burn to DVD-Rom since when the burners firmware is set to this.

Regarding SL layer bitssetting, I am unfamiliar with Plex Tools for the Plextor drive, I’m not sure if this tool sets it permanently or you need to set it before every burn. I know with the Liteons and NEC’s there is modified firmware that does it for you, you set it once and every disk DVD+ thereafter will burn at DVD-Rom. You would be best qualified to answer that question. If all DVD+ SL burns at DVD-Rom in ClonedDVD then it’s written in the firmware.

itzbinnice,
The key phrase here is "supports booktyping “by default” Just being able to booktype isn’t enough when using CloneDVD (like Pioneer).

I want these +R drive makers to standardize on the same damn default-firmware-page, whether it is SL or DL, so it isn’t up to the backup software to signal a burner to bitset.

Nobody really wants +R media to finalize in +R anyway. It’s just that +R allows for booktyping which provides better player compatibility than even -R.

Best regards,
Whisperer

There is no configuration in CloneDVD to set the booktype for DL+ media, as Whisperer1 stated, by selecting +DL as the target size it will automatically burn to DVD-Rom since when the burners firmware is set to this.

Regarding SL layer bitssetting, I am unfamiliar with Plex Tools for the Plextor drive, I’m not sure if this tool sets it permanently or you need to set it before every burn. I know with the Liteons and NEC’s there is modified firmware that does it for you, you set it once and every disk DVD+ thereafter will burn at DVD-Rom. You would be best qualified to answer that question. If all DVD+ SL burns at DVD-Rom in ClonedDVD then it’s written in the firmware.[/QUOTE]
I know there is no bitsetting option in CloneDVD2 for changing the Book Type of DVD+R or DVD+R DL discs to DVD-ROM this is why i said the drives firmware must support bitsetting for DVD+R, DVD+R DL, also if the drive supports bitsetting then the change Book Type for DVD+R, DVD+R DL option must be enabled in the drives firmware.
Plextools lets you set the Book Type for DVD+R, DVD+R DL in the drives firmware so that every burn results in a Book Type of DVD-ROM at least with my Plextor DVDR PX-716A’s.

Whisperer1
I totally agree all firmwares should have the option to set it only once so that all DVD+, DVD+DL and DVD+R|W will always burn as DVD-Rom.

By using this format it makes it compatible in almost every stand alone, I don’t see what the big deal is. But I do suspect the movie industry has it’s hands in it and some drive manufacturers are honoring their wishes.

My NEC3540 sets the booktype to DVD-Rom as default for DL+ media only, for SL+ I had to use hacked firmware.
My Liteon is older and doesn’t burn DL but with hacked firmware it burns DVD+ and DVD+ R\ as DVD-Rom.

I would only buy a burner that I know I would be able to change the firmware, bitsetting would be done by default, whether it be the manufacturers firmware or I’d make certain hacked firmware was available for the drive I intended to buy.
I have no desire to use a utility to do it before every burn, besides I’ve read those utilities don’t always work and are unreliable. The most relaible method is have the instructions in the firmware itself.