Used/refurb deals & amazon "warehouse"

vbimport

Since you prob. won’t find SUPER good deals before November (ish) this ia probably one of the few last hurrahs before that time. Some items of interest are $59 1tb hard drives… $133 3tb hard drives, etc…

The nice thing about Refurb Drives is they die pretty quick IF they’re going to die. After a few days of starts, stops and long-runs, they’ll show their true colors. Just like any other.

Internal hard-drives are under COMPONENTS on the above link, by the way.

I wouldn’t use a refurb drive as my main system drive… second drive, sure… but to have to re-load the o/s & everything from a DOOSL drive (Dead-On…Operating System load up & configure) is not worth the hassle for a few $ saved.

There were some good deals of refub’d tablets, but I think most of those are gone by now… and those that are left aren’t as good priced. $300 & $400 tablets for $200 - $300-- almost 1/2 price from Nov. 2012 prices.

I agree that refurb hard drives are rarely worth it. The price savings are negated by the loss of warranty length and unknown reliability. The only refurb drives I would even consider would have to come straight from the manufacturer. Anything from a third-party is a crap shooot.

It’s not clear who does the refurb’ing but I remember when drives would be sold w/ full warranties intact as “drive pulls” from systems. This is rarely done anymore as the cost savings isn’t worth the shipping & time hassle nowadays… maybe back when shipping was cheaper… and life moved slower…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2687416]http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Since you prob. won’t find SUPER good deals before November (ish) this ia probably one of the few last hurrahs before that time. Some items of interest are $59 1tb hard drives… $133 3tb hard drives, etc…[/QUOTE]

I’d but a shiny new WD green drive with a 2 year warranty before I spent almost as much on a Referb with a 90day warranty…

In fact I just did Newegg has a promo code that drops the price of their Caviar Green 1.5tb EZRX drive down to $64 (sale ends today Midnight Pacific time on 22MAY13)

But I am looking for a deal on a 3-4tb drive

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2687540]I wouldn’t use a refurb drive as my main system drive… second drive, sure… .[/QUOTE]
I wouldn’t use a hdd as my main system drive.
I wouldn’t use a second hdd. That’s what eBay and spare pcs are for … palming off to poor people.

Here is special for WD red 3 TB for 139 ends 5/29 http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74269 .

We get a similar deal here in the UK, one large company offers “ex demo”, or “open box” computer parts at a very small discount, but only a 90 day warranty. As Christine BCW says quite correctly, hard drives usually die very early on, but not everything is that way. A couple of pounds off for a lousy warranty, no thanks, if it was half price and depending what it was then it may be different. They must think all buyers are stupid. Perhaps some of them are?
Sorry tmc8080, I’m not being rude to you, but perhaps you may realise that sometimes a bargain isn’t. occasionally it is, if your lucky. :smiley:

Yeah, I was looking specifically at the deals (mostly gone now) they had on tablets which were pretty close to full retail price even on Black Friday (November holiday shopping equiv. to your boxing days). $250 - $280 for tablets that were $399 - $499 are not a bad deal for refurbs provided they come w/ a decent warranty.