Used DVDIdentifier on my TYG02, is it the real one?

Hi guys,

I bought Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8x from blankmedia.ca but I have a feeling it’s fake; I don’t know why. I read the sticky posts in here and theres a post that gives steps to scan my DVDs with DVDidentifier. So I followed the steps, here are the results (bottom). Even though every info states TYG02 and Taiyo Yuden. Are these sufficient proof?

Thanks

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [TYG02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Hi and welcome to the forum, ShadowX114 :slight_smile:

If you look on the inner area of the purple dye, you should see a code like GG007009, as this is the code on my real TYG02’s and all TYG02’s have the GG****** code :slight_smile:

If it has this code, it’s the real deal :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Check around the hub of the disc for a batch code; for TYG02, it should be GGxxxxxx (where the x’s are numbers).

Edit: Whoops, beaten by Kev :bigsmile:

Hi ShadowX114, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

You can tell genuine Taiyo Yuden by the batch/lot number in the mirror band near the hub. You may have to look at the disc in a strong light to see it.

A genuine TYG02 should have a batch/lot number of the form: GG00xxxx
where xxxx is a number, e.g. GG000110

EDIT: Hahahaha! I’m waaaay too slow. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the welcoming :slight_smile:

so all I had to do was checking the code on the hub? lol
I checked three of them and they all end by a 3, not 9. Therefore, its GG007003

fake? :frowning:

** I just read DrageMester’s post. So the final number is not really important, is it? so even if it ends with a 3, that doesn’t mean its a fake? nice.

Thank you for ur extreme fast help :smiley:

That’s fine, they’re the real thing :smiley: - the number Kev gave with a 9 on the end was an example :wink:

No, thats the real deal, as stated above the numbers after GG00 change with the batch :slight_smile:

EDIT: now look who’s too slow :bigsmile:

You can tell it’s quiet in here when 3 of us rush to answer a thread :bigsmile:

3 more people replied while i was editing my post! its very fast in here. thanks again guys :slight_smile: problem solved.

It’s a friday night and we’re hanging out here… we’re pathetic! :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re welcome :bigsmile:

Edit: @Drage - yes, we are :doh:

oh, i have another question regarding the TY, I thought it would be better to ask it here than creating another thread. Does TY silver mate DVDs exist? As I really hate the shiny silver top, they get scratched very quickly and my hand prints on the dvd very easily after I finish naming the dvd. The silver mate on my Ridatas are amazing but I stopped buying Ridata after doing some research in here. so im wondering if TY has it too?

No silver matte for TY. You can get TY 8x DVD-R with a silver printable surface though.

Now that I think about it, if you consider Verbatim-branded TYG02 sold in Europe, then silver-matte TY exits…

Yep I still have some of those. I think you’ll have a very hard time finding any of those now, however.

Yeah, other than the usual shiny silver, those were the only ones that sprang to mind. Like Drage said, they’re pretty hard to find now though :frowning:

This is a silver printable surface, right?

If so, then it’s good to me, my writing will be readable, my hand prints won’t print as much as on lacquer (the way I hold a pen is funny) and it won’t get easily scratched when the cd is in and out the CD binder. So, I’m happy as long as it’s not lacquer :slight_smile:
Thank you!

Yep, those are silver printable (looks like a matte surface to me) - but make sure you go for a better manufacturer/brand than the one illustrated :wink: