Used Canon purchase - cleaning, testing suggestions

vbimport

After reading through the posts regarding CD/DVD printers, I’m going for a Canon from ebay. Likely a an ip6600D, then tray modification. I would like to use it for photo prints (like case covers) in additon to the CD/DVD prints, that’s why I’m going for the higher resolution vs. a Canon AIO with lower res/colors.

I’m interested in folks opinions about cleaning and testing a unit upon arrival. Many of the units have been sitting idle for a long time. One I’m interested in has an empty tank, so seller can’t test, I would have to do it and claim DOA warranty if it doesn’t work. I’m concerned many of these units will have clogged print heads after sitting for a while, expecially with an empty tank (I’ll check to make sure the tank is still installed - per cdan’s advice about never letting the units dry out).

My thought was to clean the head and install new carts, then test. Although read many references to cdan’s cleaning procedure, I couldn’t find a link with details - appreciate any pointers. (Not sure how much amonia to use in the overnight soak).

I think it would be smart for get seller to agree to return if unit can’t pass the nozzle test. I’m almost wondering if I should go after the cheapest unit possible and plan on buying a new print head if needed.

Appreciate all the insights in other posts. I can’t believe how much time I’ve spent reading through all the information.

A lot depends on what it does when you get it. A new print head isn’t too expensive. Soaking in hot water and ammonia (50/50) should clear a clog in 30 min if it’s going to clear at all. You can also use a syringe to force cleaner down the upper passages, which is where many clogs occur.

When you set it up, run a nozzle check test followed by 2 cleaning cycles and another nozzle check. If that doesn’t clear everything out then you go to the soaking business. DO NOT leave the print head out to dry, it needs to have ink tanks in it at all times unless it’s actually soaking.

Thanks CDan.

I figure I might as well order the $50 of ink from LDproducts to get the free shipping.

Any thoughts on what carts run out first. I read that the photo cyan and photo magenta inks are used more heavily than the others? I know it is determined by what you print, but thought there might be a general trend on ink consumption.

[QUOTE=texastornado;2491927]

Any thoughts on what carts run out first. I read that the photo cyan and photo magenta inks are used more heavily than the others? I know it is determined by what you print, but thought there might be a general trend on ink consumption.[/QUOTE]

Cyan and pigment black, for me. If you don’t print any plain paper settings, not so much pigment black. Dye black uses the least, I can usually get 1 dye black to last for 2-3 sets of the others.