Used Burner Shopping: Which Brands to Avoid?

vbimport

Time to replace my aging (about 9 years old) MSI 4x burner in my desktop tower. I also need to replace the fan on the processor and there is a used PC parts shop that a friend recommends. While I’m there I thought that I would look at what they had for burners. I don’t want to spend more than $25, considering that Newegg has a brand new Sony Optiarc AD-7240S burner for $19.99 and free shipping. Are there any brands of used burners that I should avoid like the plague? Would it be wiser to just order the Sony Optiarc?

Sony 7240 link

[i]Also,[/i] is there any benefit to getting the AD-7260S from Newegg for $28.99 + $0.99 S&H? I don’t know what the differences are but 2 out of 3 reviewers complained about the flimsy tray.

Sony 7260 link

Hi,

I am not sure if a used drive is really a good idea, especially since you can get a brand new Optiarc for 20 USD shipped. (The 7260 is not much different from the 7240 btw).

If you want to take the risk: avoid all 8x drives. These have no support for modern media is most cases. Also avoid Panasonic drives. For the rest: ask here before you buy.

Michael

I think that the Sony 7240 for $20 @ Newegg is what I will be getting.

Darnit - I stayed on the fence too long - Newegg’s new price for the 7240 is $26.99 link. At least shipping is still free!

[QUOTE=borat007;2517237]Darnit - I stayed on the fence too long - Newegg’s new price for the 7240 is $26.99 link. At least shipping is still free![/QUOTE]Look here: http://club.myce.com/f58/sony-optiarc-ad-7241s-lightscribe-22-99-shipped-311998/
Basically the same drive. :slight_smile:

Michael

If you can get hold of a Plextor PX-716A/SA/UF there, it could be worth a try. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2517264]Look here: http://club.myce.com/f58/sony-optiarc-ad-7241s-lightscribe-22-99-shipped-311998/
Basically the same drive. :)[/QUOTE]

I saw that yesterday. I don’t really need LightScribe-capable burner - if I want to print a disc (which is rare) I use SureThing. Although I suppose it couldn’t hurt to have a LS-capable burner.

Since I am going to wait a few more days before deciding on a new PC burner, which would be the best one to get? I don’t use it too often, maybe 3-7 times a month, and the price should be less than $40. Or should I start a new thread for this?

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2517268]If you can get hold of a Plextor PX-716A/SA/UF there, it could be worth a try. :)[/QUOTE]

I see that the Plextor PX-716A is selling for $85 and UP!:eek: What makes this such a good burner?

Newegg has 2 Plextor burners for $29.99 (after a $20 mail-in rebate):

PX-880SA-26 (free S&H)

PX-870A-26 (free S&H)

[QUOTE=borat007;2517474]I see that the Plextor PX-716A is selling for $85 and UP!:eek: What makes this such a good burner?

Newegg has 2 Plextor burners for $29.99 (after a $20 mail-in rebate):

PX-880SA-26 (free S&H)

PX-870A-26 (free S&H)[/QUOTE]

Possibly because the 716A is a “true” Plextor, and true Plextor drives are no longer being made - drives under the Plextor brand these days (such as the two you’ve listed) are now rebadges. True Plextor-made drives always cost more to begin with anyway, I remember this from the CD-RW days when my 12/10/32A Plextor CD burner cost me £200 new. :eek:

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2517268]If you can get hold of a Plextor PX-716A/SA/UF there, it could be worth a try. :)[/QUOTE]

One should bear in mind that this drive is well obsolete and the chance of getting a firmware update is almost zero … which means that newer media released since the last firmware update won’t be properly supported and the burn quality will be less than impressive.

Furthermore some hardware revisions of this drive had quite a few problems and given the cost vs benefits compared say to a good new generation drive such as AD-7240S, I see no objective reason whatsoever to buy one of these drives, definitely not one to justify paying 4 times as much for it! They won’t burn 4 times better than the AD-7240S that’s for sure! :eek:

[QUOTE=borat007;2517471]I saw that yesterday. I don’t really need LightScribe-capable burner - if I want to print a disc (which is rare) I use SureThing. Although I suppose it couldn’t hurt to have a LS-capable burner.[/QUOTE]Well pay less and get additional Lightscribe (which you don’t need to use) isn’t that bad. :smiley:

Michael

I completely agree with you Michael - I am now just trying to focus on which brand & model would be the best fit for me. Maybe the Sony AD-7241S-0B will be fine, although Newegg’s price is now $31.99 (free S&H). I hope to keep the price under $40, including S&H.

[i]Edit:[/i] Newegg’s price for the Sony AD-7240S-0B is now $21.99 with free S&H - link. I’d better pounce on this NOW - - unless there’s a burner that just blows the 7240 away, performance and reliability-wise.

You won’t know, reliability-wise, until the drives are old (barring large amounts of obvious QC issues). All new drives are built like toys compared to older ones; it’s the cost of them all being so cheap.

Go ahead and get it. If you don’t have room in your PC, just keep your old one in a closet or something, just in case. I built a PC a couple weeks ago with 2 of the 7241S, and ran them through their paces. Quality DAE was the only area that they were not stellar in. Nobody knows how long it will last for you, but while it does, you won’t be disappointed.

[QUOTE=Cerbie;2517535]
Quality DAE was the only area that they were not stellar in. Nobody knows how long it will last for you, but while it does, you won’t be disappointed. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. What is “DAE”?

Is the Newegg Service Net Replacement Extended Warranty Plan worth the money - 1 year: $6.99, 2 year: $11.99? Or should I not worry about it for a $21.99 burner?

[QUOTE=borat007;2517553]Thanks for the advice. What is “DAE”?[/QUOTE]Digital Audio Extraction, AKA CD ripping. It’s good at that, too–I just have the ability to compare to a working Plextor CDRW, and quite a number of used CDs that need a good ripper :p.

[QUOTE=borat007;2517556]Is the Newegg Service Net Replacement Extended Warranty Plan worth the money - 1 year: $6.99, 2 year: $11.99? Or should I not worry about it for a $21.99 burner?[/QUOTE]

For a $21.99 burner, I personally wouldn’t bother. :slight_smile: