Used Blindwrite to backup UT2003 - SUCESS! But I have many questions - Please help

Hi everyone!!

I followed the tutorial to backup UT2003 and it worked - thanks pfitz.

But here goes…

(Please state which question/s you are answering to, thanks)

1. Why do I need to make a BWA file? - I went through all the steps in the tutorial and didn’t come across anything to do with the BWA file I created.

2. Why would someone want to download BWA files when they can be made quickly - I saw a whole list of them in another post.

3. When making a BWA file I am asked “Automatic set last sector? Yes, No, Cancel”. What do I choose and why.

4. The startup time for UT2003 is longer by a few seconds - how do I decrease this.

5. Can I use the same tutorial steps to backup any other game.

6. I installed the game, and the game only, using all three backup CDs that I made. CloneCD was used for disks 2 and 3. But UT2003 Editor doesn’t work - 2 pop ups say the file is corrupt, the other says it is an invalid file format - Why?

7. How do I make copies of disks 2 and 3 and any other unprotected CD using Blindwrite? (I want to use Blindwrite as my only CD writing software to avoid conflicts with other software)

8. My BWA graph looked like a graph from a seismograph during an earthquake! Why is a straight line better and what does the resulting BWA file affect?

9. Should I use CDR OR CDRW media and what is the best manufacturer?

10. Blindwrite says I can test it for free but register if I use it. How long is the trial period - if there is one?

11. Finally, the Image file and the BWA file still remain on my computer. If the backup is scratched or someting can I reuse these files to make another copy, therefore save time by skipping the process of creating the Image and BWA files.

Many questions but I will be very grateful for your help.
I’ve tried Nero, CloneCD and many other utilities but at least I’ve got a working back up copy of UT2003 now! First time too!

Originally posted by jy88888888
[B]Hi everyone!!

I followed the tutorial to backup UT2003 and it worked - thanks pfitz.

But here goes…

1. Why do I need to make a BWA file? - I went through all the steps in the tutorial and didn’t come across anything to do with the BWA file I created.

2. Why would someone want to download BWA files when they can be made quickly - I saw a whole list of them in another post.

3. When making a BWA file I am asked “Automatic set last sector? Yes, No, Cancel”. What do I choose and why.

4. The startup time for UT2003 is longer by a few seconds - how do I decrease this.

5. Can I use the same tutorial steps to backup any other game.

6. I installed the game, and the game only, using all three backup CDs that I made. CloneCD was used for disks 2 and 3. But UT2003 Editor doesn’t work - 2 pop ups say the file is corrupt, the other says it is an invalid file format - Why?

7. How do I make copies of disks 2 and 3 and any other unprotected CD using Blindwrite? (I want to use Blindwrite as my only CD writing software to avoid conflicts with other software)

8. My BWA graph looked like a graph from a seismograph during an earthquake! Why is a straight line better and what does the resulting BWA file affect?

Many questions but I will be very grateful for your help.
I’ve tried Nero, CloneCD and many other utilities but at least I’ve got a working back up copy of UT2003 now! First time too! [/B]

=============================

Ok here goes ill try and answer all your questions.

1: the bwa file will get used automaticly during the burning prosess you need a bwa becuse it contains the cdrom`s digital signicture for the new securom protection … without it you cant bypass the guard module at all…

2: The reason why there is a sticky full of bwa file is becuse not all hardware can readout the digital signicture with pressition
Ect : Not all hardware can read the peaks properly they struggle and give bad results… there for this is only realy for people that cant do there bwa file for there game …

3: Ok this is basicly if you pick yes it will read out the hole cdrom`s bwa signicture from the start of the cdrom to the end of the cdrom ! and if you select no it will readout what you select in the sector BOX example :3430 < sectors it will end on 3430 from the start to the end…

4: there is a way to decreese the startup time !
when reading out the image with blindwrite DO NOT EXTRACT SUB CODES this will greatly improve the module bypass time becuse BW is generating its own subs during the burning prossess. and if you want to be shure what the best is try a burn with subs and with out and compare times becuse all hardware is difrent…

5: yes you can :slight_smile:

6: not shure possibly coruption on one of the cd`s you did !
you can use eny software to backup cd 2 and cd 3 i used alcohol 120% you can use what ever you wish just a tip clonecd isnt a wize choice to use becuse its realy not that much updated at the moment that may change soon :slight_smile: try again thats all i can say …

7: well as stated above eny mormal cd can be backed up with enything you like ! for blindwrite all you do is dump the cdrom then you select its writeing area and burn the image with DAO PW not DAO PQ oki

8: ok a bwa file when creating it it will read out the cdrom`s glass mastered signicture and when you view it you will see 4 peaks !

these peaks are the signicture the strate curved lines after that are normal !
a curve with no spikes and 4 peaks is the best you can get ! if you get spikes and not a clean curve its requireing more power from your reader .
here is an example ! you have 2 readers both the same reader and you place the cdr you did in with spikes then you place the original in the other drive and you do a copy test now the one with the spikes will slow down alot due to not haveing a clean curve to run along and the original with the clean curve is going to win isnt it :slight_smile:

ok i hope this answers all your questions :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Thanks a lot! Cleared up many problems.

Sorry, but I updated the post so there are 3 more questions.

Going back to some of the questions…

1. I select “No” then, right? with a value of 324800 - from tutorial

2. So to get a better graph, I need more power from my reader. How do I do this?

Thanks again, virus2k

[B]Thanks a lot! Cleared up many problems.

Sorry, but I updated the post so there are 3 more questions.

Going back to some of the questions…

1. I select “No” then, right? with a value of 324800 - from tutorial

2. So to get a better graph, I need more power from my reader. How do I do this?

Thanks again, virus2k [/B]

========================

3: yes you select no or even the default 324800 sectors it dont make eny difrence eny way will work :slight_smile: if you want my oppinion pick no becuse that way it reads the cdrom from start to end becuse in the future the signicture may be longer than 324800 but at the mo it isnt but you never know right :slight_smile:

8: more power meaning if your bwa you created is full of odd looking spikes and not a curve to be proud of hehe then its gonna take your reader more power meaning its going to struggle harder to bypass the module the better the curve the less strain on your reader …

hope this clears the last questions up :slight_smile:
if you have more im happy to assist again :slight_smile:

Quick and helpful replies - thats what I call online support!

Sorry, but when I said 3 more questions, I meant questions 9, 10 and 11.

Thanks again

[B]Quick and helpful replies - thats what I call online support!

Sorry, but when I said 3 more questions, I meant questions 9, 10 and 11.

Thanks again [/B]

no problemo glad to help fellow cdfreaks out :slight_smile:

like i said befour if you have eny more question im here with the answers just dont ask me a hard one lol :smiley:

1. CDR media, and there is a thread that discusses the different medias out there http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57462
  2. Can’t help you there, but usually 30 days for trial versions of anything
  3. yes

Thanks!

Originally posted by Slovak
9. CDR media, and there is a thread that discusses the different medias out there http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57462
10. Can’t help you there, but usually 30 days for trial versions of anything
11. yes

erm ??? are you in the correct thread hehe :stuck_out_tongue: