Use IDE/PATA optical drive on SATA-only system?

I decided to try 1 other thing which was to use nLite to slipstream WinXP CD including drivers for the card, but that results in the same error when trying to start Windows setup from the boot CD. Maybe Windows setup might load if I could include the drivers by pressing F6 when prompted, i.e. if the system had a floppy drive which it does not.

In my older IDE system I had a sata add-on card that booted just fine with sata optical drives to Windows setup, and there may be some pata adapter card that work too. The question is how many might one have to try before finding one that works. I think I’ll just boot the Windows CD to the sata drive when needed, and at least I can use the pata optical drives once booted to Windows.

Did you try the suggestions in post#18 ?

Post #18 suggestions were tried but didn’t help. It seems obvious to me the problem is with loading Windows setup since the boot process is started, goes through the Windows is loading files steps, but halts on the error message at the point where it says “Setup is starting Windows.” I suspect this is due to no drivers being loaded during the loading files process, and it’s never going to run the install unless drivers are loaded by some means.

Out of curiosity I decided to test whether a Win7 DVD would boot and run Setup, and it got to a screen that said “A required CD/DVD drive driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or flash drive, please insert it now.” This seems to confirm my conclusion that it would work for WinXP if my PC had a floppy drive. I’ve never understood why other device choices like CD, DVD, etc. weren’t included in SP3 or other WinXP service packs.

I plan to just use the sata DVD-RW for now when there’s a need to run Windows setup and wait until I eventually upgrade Windows rather than spend more money on a usb floppy drive or adapter for a Windows version that will soon be obsolete.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2718446] it got to a screen that said “A required CD/DVD drive driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or flash drive, please insert it now.” . [/QUOTE]

This message asks for a CD, DVD or flash drive as well as a floppy.
This would be one of those that had the necessary driver. If you have a driver that is correct . Try burning that to a CD & put it in when the "Set up asks for it. When it finishes the you put the Windows XP Set up CD back in.
Or that is what I think would work the same as a floppy that contained the drivers would.
If it won’t work that way try a flash drive . Probably on formated with FAT32.

The problem is setup for WinXP asks to insert floppy disk and has no option for CD, flash drive or any other device, and floppy disk is the only way to add any drivers during setup. Win7 setup has those other device choices but not WinXP.

You need to have a driver CD . You take out the Windows setup CD & insert the driver CD. The setup that already has been installed on your hard drive should detect the driver CD just like it would the floppy.

[QUOTE=cholla;2718567]You need to have a driver CD . You take out the Windows setup CD & insert the driver CD. The setup that already has been installed on your hard drive should detect the driver CD just like it would the floppy.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is that, installing from scratch, this can’t really work without maybe slipstreaming the drivers, which I think is the concern.

@ bevills1,did you try this in legacy mode?An x86 OS like XP doesn’t have support for UEFI bios…AFAIK,using a UEFI bios to boot is only possible from Win 7 64 bit and up.
Set your bios mode to legacy,and the sata controller to IDE instead of AHCI.:smiley:

Actually I used nLite to slipstream a CD including the drivers as stated in my reply #21, but it resulted in same error message described in my reply #16. I think I’ve tried burning drivers for other adapters before, but that doesn’t work because WinXP looks for drivers on floppy in drive A only and keeps prompting for a drive A floppy if a CD is inserted.

roadworker, I learned early after getting the UEFI bios motherboard that the PC wouldn’t even boot to Windows unless sata controller was set to IDE instead of AHCI, but I don’t recall if there’s a legacy mode setting in bios or not. I’ll check to see if that works if there’s a legacy mode option.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2718613]but I don’t recall if there’s a legacy mode setting in bios or not. I’ll check to see if that works if there’s a legacy mode option.[/QUOTE]

In some bios’ that option is named CSM.
In order to get it working,you 1st have to disable the “secure boot keys”,than “secure boot” itself and than you have access to “CSM”,as it isn’t greyed out anymore.
With UEFI enabled,your optical drive loads only OS that support it with the F8 or F12 key.
CSM should allow you to set the boot order directly in bios again…

Secure boot keys and secure boot is disabled as default, and CSM is enabled as default in my UEFI bios. CSM enabled does allow boot order to be set from before the problem was noticed.

The IDE optical drive boots to Seatools, Discwizard, Gparted and other boot media, and it starts WinXP setup, goes through the checking system and loading files steps but halts and gives the error message when it shows “Serup is starting Windows” without pressing F8 or F12. I think this means WinXP setup would continue to load Windows if the system had a floppy drive to enable loading drivers by pressing F6 when prompted, but WinXP setup is incapable of starting Windows because the drivers aren’t loaded.

The fact that Win7 setup shows a CD drive driver is missing and prompts for floppy, CD, etc. with driver confirms this conclusion I believe. WinXP setup is simply never going to work on such a system short of adding a floppy drive to enable loading of needed drivers.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2718824]The fact that Win7 setup shows a CD drive driver is missing and prompts for floppy, CD, etc. with driver confirms this conclusion I believe. WinXP setup is simply never going to work on such a system short of adding a floppy drive to enable loading of needed drivers.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can use an usb floppydrive to try then.
IIRC,the A and B drive letters are preserved for floppydrives,so even if you use an external 1,XP bootcd will think that it’s internal and load the drivers…

I’ve never done it but isn’t there a method to have a flash drive emulate a floppy ?

…even by using subst: :smiley: