USB tuner with coax input as well

vbimport

Hi All,

I work on a cruise ship and I receive a number of crew TV channels into my cabin via a standard coax lead, which would usually connect to the supplied TV units.

I want to somehow get this signal into my laptop and thus watch/record certain shows, etc. On my older XP laptop, I did this using a Hp ExpressCard Digital/Analog tuner. Now I want to be able to do this via USB, as I have no ExpressCard interface on my new laptop (Asus N71/8GB RAM/Win 7x64)

I’ve been looking at some of the ‘USB stick’ freeview receivers/tuners and it seems that some of them have a hole in the end which looks like it could be a coax input; or is this just an input for the supplied aerial?

eg The Hauppauge-WinTV-NOVA-T-USB-Stick

Would a coax lead plugged into here allow the tuner to scan all the crew channels, or would it be looking for freeview on specified channels only?

Hoping you can help,

miles_muso

[QUOTE=miles_muso;2598053]

or is this just an input for the supplied aerial?[/quote] Yep.

Would a coax lead plugged into here allow the tuner to scan all the crew channels, or would it be looking for freeview on specified channels only?
I highly doubt it.

Thanks for that, Mr Belvedere.

Could you recommend any TV tuner WITH a coax input?

I have this actual Nova-T Hauppauge TV tuner. It has a coaxial input, but it only tunes in DVB-T channels, e.g. Freeview.

The channels on the ship are most likely in analogue, which if the case means that you need a tuner that tunes analogue also.

This tuner (Hauppauge WIN-TV HVR-900TV) has a coaxial input and should do the trick. :slight_smile: