USB-to-SATA with Sony Optiarc 7240s?

vbimport

I’m thinking of buying the Sony Optiarc 7240s. However, I only have a laptop so I plan on running it externally.
I have a few questions:

[ol]
[li]Can I use a USB-to-SATA cable with the Sony Optiarc 7240s? Do I need another USB-to-SATA cable to power the drive?[/li][li]Can I use a PCMCIA Via Card with this drive and will I need another SATA cable to power the drive?[/li][/ol]
I’m just wondering what this drive is compatible with. Also, I’m wondering how the stated speed will be affected because of the way I’m connecting it to my laptop.

Thanks.

You will need an external enclosure. It will likely need power socket and USB/SATA cable to your laptop.

Hi,[QUOTE=Optiarc;2454766]I’m thinking of buying the Sony Optiarc 7240s. However, I only have a laptop so I plan on running it externally.
I have a few questions:

[ol]
[li]Can I use a USB-to-SATA cable with the Sony Optiarc 7240s? Do I need another USB-to-SATA cable to power the drive?
[/li][li]Can I use a PCMCIA Via Card with this drive and will I need another SATA cable to power the drive?
[/li][/ol][/quote]In any case, you need a power supply that delivers 2A@12V plus 2A@5V. If you buy a Sata/USB adapter, make sure it comes with such a power supply.
I own a Delock 61391 which comes with such a PSU and all cables and adapters needed.

As for the Via controller: Via Sata controllers are not famous for their compatibility with optical drives. Controllers with Silicon Image chipsets should be preferred. But as already mentioned, you need additional power.

Also, I’m wondering how the stated speed will be affected because of the way I’m connecting it to my laptop.
With USB connected drives, the Sata/USB controllers as well as the USB controller of the computer do affect the speed of the drive at least. I would not expect much more than 12x, with some luck you may also obtain 16x max.

Michael

Does using USB-to-SATA affect the quality of the burns at all? I think the max DVD+R DL burn speed is 12x anyway and that’s all I plan on doing.

Hi,

if you set the burn speed below the limits of your personal external drive configuration, then the quality will not be affected.

Michael