Usb to ethernet

I am using a usb wireless adapter to connect my pc to the internet. I also want to connect my xbox 360, is there any way to convert the usb to an ethernet connection so I can use the ethernet broadband router I have, then I could connect my xbox. I want to go directly from the wireless adapter to my router, but my router does not have any usb ports only ethernet. Will this work with an adapter?

Hi,

I am assuming, your router has built-in WLAN.
So there are two working options:

[list=1.]
[li] use a standard ethernet cable (Cat5 at least) to connect your xbox to the router[/li][li] http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessnnetadapter/ for a wireless network connection from xbox to router.[/li]EDIT: seems the xbox already has built-in wireless support[/list]
USB to ethernet adapters exist, but these are not suited for your purpose.

EDIT2: In case your router does not have WLAN, then either buy a new router that has, or get a WLAN access point.

Michael

Thanks Michael, my router does have WLAN port but right now I’m not using the router, just wireless adapter straight to my pc. can I incorporate the router between the adapter and my pc, the router doesn’t have any usb ports. My pc does have an ethernet card, what I want to do is connect the wireless adapter to the router so I can then connect my pc and xbox 360 via ethernet but I don’t know if this is even possible. Sorry if I made it sound like I was allready using the router. Do you know if this will work somehow?

[QUOTE=Tonyl10469;2491022]I am using a usb wireless adapter to connect my pc to the internet[/QUOTE]
I’m confused :confused:

Are you talking about a USB wireless networking device, or a USB modem that uses a mobile-phone-type connection? In the former case, then you must be connecting to a wireless modem/router etc. that you can also connect your Xbox to; in the latter, you might be able to connect your router to your PC (with ethernet cable or WLAN) and then set the default gateway on the router to use the internet connection on your PC, and connect your xbox to the router.

There is no easy way AFAIK to adapt a USB device to plug into an ethernet connection.

Slainte

midders

[QUOTE=Tonyl10469;2491025] my router does have WLAN port but right now I’m not using the router, just wireless adapter straight to my pc.[/quote]Perhaps I have a language problem right now.
Please give some more information about your “wireless” USB adapter.
Is this a WLAN device, or is this a kind of GSM/UMTS/HDSPA/something like that device where you had to install a SIM card of your mobile phone provider?

Edit: Midders posted the same question :slight_smile:
If this is a mobile internet thingy, then

1. [li]connect the PC to the router (cable)[/li][li]connect your xbox to the router (cable or WLAN)[/li][li]disable the DHCP server on the router[/li][li]read the documentation/help of your computer’s operating system about “Internet Connection Sharing” and configure your system accordingly. [/li]Your computer must run if you want to access the internet from your xbox.

Michael

Sorry guys, the language problem is all mine. Let me explain: my brother has internet access at his house, which is right next door to me, he has the modem connected to a wireless router that he has given me the network key for, I am picking up the signal in my house using a 2WIRE wireless adapter that plugs into my pc using a usb port on my pc, there are drivers I have on a disc to install for the adapter to work, so I have internet on my pc, I’m trying to figure a way to connect my xbox to this same connection, but I can’t just get the wireless adapter for the xbox as it is too far from the signal coming from my brothers house, so I didn’t know if there was a way to connect my xbox using one wireless adapter and splitting the signal somehow, sorry again for the confusion I appreciate you trying to help. Thanks , Tony.

Hi,

a WLAN repeater should do the trick.

-ses

[QUOTE=Tonyl10469;2491033]Sorry guys, the language problem is all mine. Let me explain: my brother has internet access at his house, which is right next door to me, he has the modem connected to a wireless router that he has given me the network key for,[/quote]Ah! Okay.

I am picking up the signal in my house using a 2WIRE wireless adapter (…)
I can’t just get the wireless adapter for the xbox as it is too far from the signal coming from my brothers house,
Is it possible to establish a cable connection from your router to the router of your brother?

Michael

no, when I say next door,there is one empty lot between us, and they will build on it eventually. Tony.

[QUOTE=Tonyl10469;2491022]I am using a usb wireless adapter to connect my pc to the internet.[/quote] Okay

I also want to connect my xbox 360, is there any way to convert the usb to an ethernet connection
On the 360? Buy the Xbox 360 Wifi adapter.

so I can use the ethernet broadband router I have, then I could connect my xbox. I want to go directly from the wireless adapter to my router, but my router does not have any usb ports only ethernet. Will this work with an adapter?

Why all the fuss? Get yourself some linksys router, set it up to connect to the wifi signal and run everything from there with utp cables or wifi.

[QUOTE=Tonyl10469;2491228]no, when I say next door,there is one empty lot between us,[/quote]Please check the documentation of your router. Maybe you can switch it to some kind of repeater mode.

and they will build on it eventually.
At that moment, you’ll no longer be able to use this connection. A building is an excellent WLAN blocker.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2491261]A building is an excellent WLAN blocker.[/QUOTE]
Yup, then you need two of these thingies

just connect from the router to the console via ethernet cable
or get a wireless adapter for the 360 (your usb dongle wont work)
you can always bridge a laptop/netbook connection to it.