USB switch

vbimport

Hi,

I want to share one usb device with 2 pc. So I need some kind of a switch. I don’t care if I have to do it manually. Does anyone knows something that could do that?

Thanks

AFAIK , since USB is an active connection there are no know switches for it.

What you COULD do is make your own 4 wire switch (that is ONE switch , switching four wires) that has 3 settings : setting 1 , disconnected and setting 2.

Because you can unplug USB anytime you want , it doesn’t mean you can plug it back in quickly to another port. You will need to give the operating systems some time.

You can easily make this by getting some components from Radio Shack and a couple of USB extension cables.

However, i do not recommend such a thing , since you are planning to do something that is outside the scope of the USB specifications.

There are many USB switches sold, mostly I saw them on auctions on ebay. Its similar to how the A/B printer switch works. Just remember, only 1 pc can use the device at one time, it doesnt act as a splitter.

I use one to network my printer with my sister, so that my pc doesnt have to be turned on each time she needs to print.

[update]just found tons on yahoo shopping[/update]

Thanks for all your replies.

I think I am going to buy one from Belkin.

Originally posted by xtacydima
[B]There are many USB switches sold, mostly I saw them on auctions on ebay. Its similar to how the A/B printer switch works. Just remember, only 1 pc can use the device at one time, it doesnt act as a splitter.

I use one to network my printer with my sister, so that my pc doesnt have to be turned on each time she needs to print.

[update]just found tons on yahoo shopping[/update] [/B]

I never saw one , but that can be my mistake. Thanks for the update ! :wink: