Usb Problem

vbimport

Back again, made a boo boo, was disconnecting my front usb cable from the motherboard and the whole connector dislodged from the board. The computer is a Lenovo K450 245 G SSD, 16 G Ram. Do I need to replace the motherboard?

OUCH! Most of the time you will need to replace the motherboard, but if you happen to have an electronics repair shop they might be able to re solder it.

If you are lucky and the pins are intact you can reconnect the USB header back to the motherboard and hope that it will work.

So long as nothing is shorting, the motherboard should still work (albeit without the use of that header).

But check very carefully before applying any power to the motherboard. If there is a short circuit at the broken header it will risk causing more damage.

Are you sure all the pins have come out as well, or is it only the plastic socket locator?
If it’s just the plastic locator, you should be able to reseat it with care, then glue it into position.

Be careful though, as already stated by vroom and Ibex, make sure no pins are bent or shorting.

[QUOTE=Dee;2785569]Are you sure all the pins have come out as well, or is it only the plastic socket locator?
If it’s just the plastic locator, you should be able to reseat it with care, then glue it into position.

Be careful though, as already stated by vroom and Ibex, make sure no pins are bent or shorting.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the replies, the connector on the mother board pulled clean off the board inside the usb cable.

BTW it boots, but no signal to monitor.

It was on the backpanel? I was under the impression that it was somekind of extra USB header on the motherboard.

You need to remove the motherboard and see if the traces of the PCB are OK, but if want to keep it, it would be a better option to go to an electronics repair shop and see if its fixable.