Usb port not working

I have an obd interface usb device that was working for two months and now my hp 5000t gives me usb device not recognized. Still under warranty and HP tells me I have to pay their speciality department 59.00 to possibly fix the problem. the USB device works in my emachines notebook and three desktops.The unit is good I believe along with the manufacture that the usb port is not putting out the proper volts. Most usb devices don’t require a lot of juice.
Anyway to check out the voltage coming out of my notebbok . possibe software program

Go into the Device Manager and make sure the port is enabled.

I done everything humanly possibe; I would like to check the voltage out of the usb

I agree with your assessment that the port might not be putting out sufficient voltage. This is quite common with laptops, as makers take every step necessary to reduce the current draw for battery usage.

Have a suggestion…try Disabling USB2 Enhanced controller from device manager and trying using the Device with USB 1…if it works …uninstall the USB drivers and delete the devices USB ENUM keys from Registry and then…reboot/reinstall the drivers. Could be Windows of driver conflicts…If it was workign before then why the sudden power problems???

Check the USB settings in the Motherboard BIOS too.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

taking off usb port 1 did not work, the bois does not give you many things to do like a desktop. I believe the ports are not putting out near the max voltage that it should. This usb device needs close to the max to work. Something happened to my notebook and now it is not giving me the voltage required to run the device.

Does the notebook work with other devices?

If you have a powered hub, try that between the notebook and the device - if it works that way, pretty much pins it down to port power issues.

i got my new laptop about 2 months ago, its an HP dv7-1135nr – Just recently (this week) noticed that the 2 USB ports on the right side will not work… tried plugging in a mouse in both ports, did not work–tried a mobilemate SD card reader, and that didn’t work… but the left side has one port and it works… what the hell happened??? Any idea?

[QUOTE=s_west;2188872]i got my new laptop about 2 months ago, its an HP dv7-1135nr – Just recently (this week) noticed that the 2 USB ports on the right side will not work… tried plugging in a mouse in both ports, did not work–tried a mobilemate SD card reader, and that didn’t work… but the left side has one port and it works… what the hell happened??? Any idea?[/QUOTE]

Try leaving the mouse plugged into one of the ports that do not work and reboot.

I have an HP 6730b laptop with a similar problem. It does not seem to work with USB flash drives. It seems to see the device but then displays and “I/.O error” and I can’t copy files to it. I’ve even tried a USB hub with external power but the device still isn’t working. This has happened with several different brands of USB thumb drives, which all work fine with my regular desktop machine. Device manager shows 500 milliamperes available for each USB port.

Most USB ports on laptops have energy savings enabled, because of battery life. Unfortunately this also means extreme incompatibility with certain usb devices.

Disable the energy savings on all usb ports and hubs, then try again.

I agree with Mister “B”…

I have had for months this problem with the usb port on my HP laptop.

So, if you are using XP this usb port is a very well known problem by Microsoft.

There is a patch made by Microsoft : “Fix It” which can solve the problem!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900/en