USB or Firewire External DVD Drive?

Hi,

Just looking around the web to see if there are any significant speed advantages/disadvantages with either USB 2.0 versus Firewire External DVD burners - when used with Roxio’s Toast 10 Titanium??

I’d like to buy one in the near future, but am having problems researching benchmark tests for these two types of DVD Writers.

if anyone has experience of either (when used with toast 10), I’d be very glad to hear from you.

Thanks

Either one can handle DVD writing fine. FireWire has a lower processor overhead and if you have a wimpy CPU may have a slight edge.

Firewire is the better choice.

Could you recommend a robust, reliable External DVD burner which has both?

Maybe it’s better to purchase . . . . (for example) a Pioneer SATA drive (industry standard) and fit it into an external enclosure with USB and Firewire ports (Dual Interface)?

Writing speed won’t be above 20X anyway . . . will it?
So USB would be as fast writing a DVD as IEEE 1394???

Thanks

Info: Firewire versus USB
http://www.firewire-1394.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

Hi,QUOTE=steevg;2305267
Writing speed won’t be above 20X anyway . . . will it? [/quote]20x is a marketing speed which can only be achieved with a few selected MIDs. You don’t want to use that speed for your regular burning jobs.

So USB would be as fast writing a DVD as IEEE 1394???

Regardless of the external interface (USB or firewire), the main bottleneck is the conversion from Pata (or Sata) to USB (or firewire). With good chipsets, 16x burn (and read) speeds can be achieved.
Optimised external units from the drive manufacturers directly (nowadays only available as USB drives) may be able to reach the advertised overspeed (anything above 16x is overspeeding) [I]if [/I]the USB controller of the computer this unit is connected to can handle this. Unfortunately there are still USB implementations on the market that are not as fast as expected.

Michael

Excellent feedback and information. Many thanks!

I notice that there are external DVD Writers with both these interfaces . . . may be an idea to purchase one of these to get the best of both!

Here’s a good selection, just wondering if anyone has tried these guys?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/optical-drives/

[QUOTE=steevg;2305624]I notice that there are external DVD Writers with both these interfaces . . . may be an idea to purchase one of these to get the best of both!

Here’s a good selection, just wondering if anyone has tried these guys?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/optical-drives/[/QUOTE]These are internal drives installed into external enclosures by 3rd party assemblers. I am not sure if these units are successfully tested to achieve the advertised maximum speed.
Before you buy, you should check the detailled description since they also mention the internal drive that is used.

Michael

Michael,

Very good point . . . being a Mac user, we tend to get swayed by products which state “Mac compatible” etc. So it’ll be well worth an email to find out if they actually perform as advertised.

Thanks for the information

[QUOTE=mciahel;2305637]I am not sure if these units are successfully tested to achieve the advertised maximum speed.[/QUOTE]

Since even the ones that are tested don’t work as advertised, what does it matter? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=steevg;2305656]…being a Mac user, we tend to get swayed by products which state “Mac compatible”…[/QUOTE]

I own a Mac and do most of work in OS X. I’ve never bought a single product where I cared if it claimed to be Mac compatible or not (except for a printer). That kind of marketing statement is wholly irrelevent if you have some basic computer knowledge.

I love and adore the Mac, but Mac users are some of the most gullible people on the planet.

. . . not wishing to get into yet ANOTHER Mac vs Windoze argument here, but I think your statement

I love and adore the Mac, but Mac users are some of the most gullible people on the planet.
is a little harsh!

On the contrary, I find most mac users very conscientious and knowlegeable about products they purchase, however I agree with your previous statement

Since even the ones that are tested don’t work as advertised, what does it matter?
Real life benchmarks are far from those quoted by manufacturers in many cases . . . ! So maybe I’ll just re-state my original intention for posting:

if anyone has experience of either (when used with toast 10), I’d be very glad to hear from you.
I believe actual users of these products are better able to give facts about speeds and useability etc. So I’d be very happy to hear from anyone who HAS one of these external DVD Writers.

Thanx.