USB IF announces that USB 3.2 name will replace existing USB 3.x branding

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/usb-if-announces-that-usb-3-2-name-will-replace-existing-usb-3-x-branding-86242/

The USB Implementer Forum today announced the USB 3.2 specification will be used for all USB 3 generations, including earlier versions such as USB 3.0 and USB 3.1. The new names can be confusing for consumers.

nothing like keeping things easy for consumers and this is NOTHING like keeping things easy for consumers!

why is it that those in charge of stuff, regardless of what the ‘stuff’ is, have to make life so obviously difficult? we had all this crap before with manufacturers being able to use ‘sleight of hand’ to claim a drive was USB3 when it was no more than USB 2! mark the damn things as what they are and sue the manufacturers that try to lie! simple!!

This seems to be taking on the naming complexity of Wi-Fi, giving additional technical jargon for the computer store sales agents…

Sales agent: This router has 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 4x4 mimo Wi-Fi and here’s a new one just on the market with the latest 802.11ax MU-MIMO and two SuperSpeed USB 3.2 gen 2×2 ports…

Customer: That sounds great, I think I’ll go with the latest. My computer takes ages to do anything… After I type my password, I can brew a pot of coffee by the time the icons appear and have a cup finished by the time Google appears…

^ That is based on my recent experience with someone who got in FTTH (Fibre To The Home) broadband and was disappointed that he could still boil the kettle and brew a cup of tea by the time his (~12 year old) laptop brought up Google…