USB IDE DVD Burner

I getting problems to connect a dvd burner using a USB-IDE Cable. My computer doesn’t recognize the burner. It’s says “Unknown Device” Do I need another cables plus USB-IDE? Shoud I make a special configuration in order to my computer recognize the burner? Any idea?

Thanks a lot.

Homito.

Hi and Welcome!

Please tell us at first

[ul]
[li]what DVD writer you want to connect[/li][li]what USB/IDE adapter you are using[/li][li]what USB controller is used (Mainboard chipset or - if an addon-card is used - chipset of the USB-card)[/li][li]what operating system you are using, if this is Windows, then the exact version including Service Pack information is needed[/li][/ul]
In general, drives that are to be connected to an USB/IDE adapter should be set to “Master” using the jumper on the back of the unit.

Michael

Hitachi - LG GWA-4164B
I’m using a cable adapter bougth on line
I’m using Mainboard USB controller.
I have Windows XP SP2

I hope you can help me.

Perhaps your USB/IDE cable is as bad as mine? I never got it to work with any harddrive or optical drive and I tried on two very dofferent computers.

Do you get any error messages when connecting, or is it just that nothing happens?

No I don’t. actually windows recognize is first as USB Device but it changes to “Unknown Device”.

Hi,

to sort out a bad IDE/USB adapter or just an incompatibility with drive or USB controller, please try this:

[list=a)]
[li]connect to another computer and see if that works there --> issue with your own system, either hardware or software[/li][li]connect some other drive to the adapter --> this should at least rule out a totally bad adapter[/li][/list]There is always a chance that there is just a compatibility issue with your drive/adapter combination. LGs are famous for such.

Michael

I don’t have another computer available to test the Dvd burner. Suppousing that it works - is there anything else I can do? I already tried to set up the burner master but there’s not a scheme that tell me what is the proper configuration. I have two jumpers and I’m guessing how to put them in the back of the drive.

Hi,[QUOTE=Homito;1924758]I don’t have another computer available to test the Dvd burner.[/quote]Isn’t there any friend who can help?

Suppousing that it works - is there anything else I can do?
No idea at the moment.
I already tried to set up the burner master but there’s not a scheme that tell me what is the proper configuration. I have two jumpers and I’m guessing how to put them in the back of the drive.
Look here: http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=spec_hlds_gwa4164b&ppn=PB34225401 there is a picture showing how the jumpers have to be set.
You can also obtain a manual from LG: http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp --> klick on Owners Manual and search for [B]4166[/B].

Michael