Usb hubs and Philips dvd player (Philips DVP5990 DVD player)

[qanda]This thread is about the Philips DVP5990 HDMI 1080p DivX Ultra DVD player. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have the philips 5990 player with the usb port.
First question: can you hook a usb hub to it?
Second:can the dvd player read usb information from a device attached to a usb hub?

Thank you for your time.
Webby

Try it and see. Then let us know.

I never tried a hub in my Pioneer player but I know for sure (I do this all the time) that it is able to read from SD cards through an SD --> USB adapter.

I think that the adapter is a sort of hub, so I assume that a hub should work too.

However, if I guessed what you are trying to do, i.e. connect more than a single drive to the standalone, I’m not able to answer. My guess is that the drive is not able to do this, but it is rather simple to do a quick test by yourself. I’d like too to know the answer, so please if you run this test post results here :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2304932]Try it and see. Then let us know.[/QUOTE]

ok, remember, you MADE me do it!!!

lol.

I have to.

…the voices compel me.
what are the voices saying?
'its working fine now, why mess it up?'
hehe

I plan on hooking the hub to a Nas box too.
At the very least it should induce me to create new curse words.
Ordering the hub tonight.
Webby

[QUOTE=geno888;2304939]I never tried a hub in my Pioneer player but I know for sure (I do this all the time) that it is able to read from SD cards through an SD --> USB adapter.

I think that the adapter is a sort of hub, so I assume that a hub should work too.

However, if I guessed what you are trying to do, i.e. connect more than a single drive to the standalone, I’m not able to answer. My guess is that the drive is not able to do this, but it is rather simple to do a quick test by yourself. I’d like too to know the answer, so please if you run this test post results here :)[/QUOTE]

No, i want to have my nas on the hub so the external HD (thats connected to the DVD player) can still be assessed by the other PCs on my net work.
webby

but if the play can see the extra drives. oh yeah!!!

Well my fellow freaks.
I played around with my 5990 and even emailed Philips about new firm ware that will let my player read/see a usb hub.
So far, its a no go.

Thanks to all that responded to my thread.

Webby.

my next experiment is turning my old 1.0 AMD with 6 pci slots into a NAS.
This mobo is so old its usb 1.1.
So its going to be fun.

Thanks for posting updates :slight_smile: