USB hard drive detection problem

I have a 2.5" laptop drive in an external USB enclosure kit that I have been using with various PCs with no problems. However, this one PC (at work) will not fully recogonize it or something. When I plug it in, it apparently recogonizes it because it is listed in the system tray under the “Safely Remove Hardware” section/icon (bottom left). However, it never assigns a drive letter to it like it does automatically with other PCs.

I am at work and don’t have admin privledges, but that isn’t the issue cause other USB devices work fine (Archos & Sansa mp3 players/storage) on this one PC. I can select it from the “Safely Remove Hardware” section to stop and remove it. I just can’t seem to get the PC to assign a drive letter to it so I can access its contents. And I really can’t do any diagnostics cause again, I don’t have admin rights. I even tried this USB hard drive unit on a different desktop here at work and it works perfectly fine.

Any idea what may be going on here?

Have you checked Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Disk Management? Is the drive listed there?