USB/Firewire problem with 108

vbimport

I just brought a new Pioneer 108 (firmware 1.10)burner and using it as an external burner for my laptop, at first I am using it with a Bytecc usb 2.0 enclosure but it gave me “I/O semaphore timeout error” (dvd decryter). Even with the semaphore timeout error it eventually finished the burn (2X, 4X, 8X, 12X), I just have to sit there and keep on pressing “Retry”. I thought it was the enclosure giving the problem so I borrowed another external enclosure (Bytecc firewire) from a friend and the “semaphore timeout” went away.

The problem is the burner/firewire won’t let me burn at full speed 12X (only 8X max). I used nero cd-dvd speed and the burst rate is 12mb/s (firewire), meanwhile burner/usb burst rate is 22mb/s. It seem like I can’t burn faster with firewire, usb enclosure let me burn faster (12x with Ritek G05) but keep on giving semaphore error, lower the burning speed same result. Is there anyway I can make the usb and firewire burn without problem, I don’t mind buying a new enclousre.

I tried both enclosure on different PCs, they work fine. I also updated the aspi layer (adaptec and ForceASPI 1.7/1.8), I check the primary and second IDE and they both set to DMA same result.

I also tried 2 different 4pin-6pin firewire cable same result. I check device manager and firewire enclosure only listed as Oxford Semiconductor Ltd IDE IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device, I am not sure if its the oxford 911 chipset. My friend told me this enclosure model is ME-320.

The problem with usb enclosure are well known (semaphore) so I am ok with that. However firewire seem to give me the problem with the burst rate, I check online and found 12mb/s can only burn at 8X max. Is there anyway I can release more burst rate for the firewire enclosure? my BIOS doesn’t gave me that option.

The media I am using is Ritek G05, the system is Dell Inspiron 8500 P4 2.4ghz, 60gb, 512mb, nero 6.3, dvd decrypter 3.5, xp sp2 (tried to go back to sp1 same result), usb2.0, firewire 4pin to 6pin

Also the whole system been formated 2 weeks ago and everything been reinstall and updated by XP sp2 and Dell.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I check device manager and firewire enclosure only listed as Oxford Semiconductor Ltd IDE IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device, I am not sure if its the oxford 911 chipset. My friend told me this enclosure model is ME-320.

the enclosure could be a OXFORD CHIPSET 911 if the one you have is model ME-320F. here’s a link I found for BYTECC enclosure ME-320:

http://www.byteccusa.com/product/enclosure/ME-320.htm

if it is an oxford 911 chipset then the firewire enclosure should work with this burner right?

if it is an oxford 911 chipset then the firewire enclosure should work with this burner right?

Yes it should work. Update your NERO to the latest version which is now 6.3.1.20

The Nero I am running is 6.3.1.20. Is the bytecc combo also using Oxford 911?

Is the bytecc combo also using Oxford 911?

I dunno! Check that link I posted earlier.