USB external storage question

vbimport

I have a Seagate external USB storage drive,my internet security suite kept bugging me to back-up my files.So,I finally did,then after I did I noticed that the Seagate drive was formatted in fat 32.My system is Vista 64 bit NTFS,so was it a wasted effort backing up files?
Maybe there is a way to format an external drive to the NTFS format,it seems like that would be better,maybe it doesn’t matter.
If anyone has some advice or experience with add on storage I’m willing to be educated.

Data integrity is not related to the file system used to format a disk.

Even if you created a backup of files stored on a FAT32 drive saving the backup into a NTFS drive, data will be exactly the same.

If you want convert a drive from FAT23 into NTFS, there is the DOS command “[B]convert[/B]” to do this. You can find more details about how to use this comand in the Windows Help (or opening a command prompt and typing [B]help convert[/B])

You can read more about File systems here :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2100146][B]Data integrity is not related to the file system[/B] used to format a disk.

Even if you created a backup of files stored on a FAT32 drive saving the backup into a NTFS drive, data will be exactly the same.

If you want convert a drive from FAT23 into NTFS, there is the DOS command “[B]convert[/B]” to do this. You can find more details about how to use this comand in the Windows Help (or opening a command prompt and typing [B]help convert[/B])

You can read more about File systems here :)[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with the first sentence. :wink:
FATx has its downfalls…

You picky :stuck_out_tongue:

What I meant is that the file system will not change the data, but only the way data are written on the disc :slight_smile:

Thank you everybody for your responses.I am working 6 days a week right now and doing alot of overtime so its been a week since I could get back here.
I just bought a 1 TB internal storage drive,that should last me quite awhile.so I hope to install it soon.I’m going to format it in NTFS,I might partition it I haven’t decided yet.Still reading up on all this.

I would definitely recommend NTFS over FATx; it supports larger maximum file sizes and has better error tolerance. Partitioning your drive is also beneficial in terms of data safety; one partition could be completely destroyed by a virus, or even a fault in the partition table but leave the other one totally intact.

Unless you actually need a Terrabyte :bow: of storage, I would tend to split it 3:1 using the larger partition for your main backup and then duplicating any really important files in the smaller partition.

Sláinte

midders

There is a slight advantage to FATxx for external drives in that they are pretty universally supported on differen OS’s. The downside is they can’t store DVD ISOs (too big)…

Yes. there are differences. Fat32 is limited max file size to 4GB which can be a pain for .iso files. Fat32 is also better for read/write performance at smaller files than ntfs.

But for today’s uses and your concerns. NTFS is the way to go. It’s got two boot sectors (one at the beginning and one at the end), built in security and it’s got a much higher chance to recover files if the file allocation table gets corrupted. The only down fall is that it can’t be read by systems older than Windows NT.