USB Burners?

I’m not sure if I’m asking the right questions, but here goes…

I was thinking of upgrading my Laptop’s DVD burner to something faster. (20x+)

Are USB connected external DVD burners any good? If so, would you point me to the best brands. (At a decent price)

I see the name PIONEER DVR-115D/116, being used allot. But a burner such as this can’t be connected externally by USB, correct? Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If your main concern is burning speed, then you must think to an internal drive installed on a regular desktop computer, because the USB connection is not fast enough to burn above 12x.

The Pioneer 115/116 drives are excellent drives, but again if you want the highest speed the USB connection is the wrong option :frowning:

Welcome to CDF Inclandestin.

geno888 has failed to notice that you are using a laptop.
Most if not all laptops are 8x max.
So even USB DVDRW’s are going to be a tad faster @ 12x.

The Pioneer 115 is an excellent choice.
You just need to get the right caddy.
An example can be seen here.
http://svp.co.uk/product/sumvision_525_cd_dvd_hard_drive_enclosure_mte049

Either have a look yourself at what’s available locally for you.
Alternatively you can state where you are (country).
Possibly then folk can come up with some options.

Hi[quote=geno888;2133722]If your main concern is burning speed, then you must think to an internal drive installed on a regular desktop computer, because the USB connection is not fast enough to burn above 12x.[/quote]You forgot the tiny word “often”. The speed of the USB interface depends basically on the chipset, so there shouldn’t be any speed differences between laptops and desktop computers with the same chipset.
A good USB interface provides about 30 MB/sec which is fast enough for 22x burners. What matters, that is the chipset of the enclosure.

The Pioneer 115/116 drives are excellent drives, but again if you want the highest speed the USB connection is the wrong option :frowning:
16x shouldn’t be a problem with a good IDE/USB bridge chip.

Michael

So then the PIONEER 115/116 could be used as an external. But it’s still manufactured as an internal burner? I wasn’t sure of that. How would the 115/116 compare to a burner that is manufactured as an external burner, such as this one. would there be a significant difference?

All external burners are just internal burners slapped into enclosures. Some manufacturers “integrate” the drive into the enclosures better [such as LG and Samsung, who make the faceplate of the drive part of the enclosure itself] and have special firmware for the external drives [which is usually comparable to that of the internal drives]. For example:

There were some cases where a manufacturer had to make a specific firmware to enable a higher UDMA mode [BenQ], but no one has to do that anymore, as far as I know.

Samsung uses/has used UDMA mode 2 firmware for an 18x drive, and I don’t think it affected anything.

LiteOn uses the exact same firmware for the external and internal drives.

LG and Samsung basically only changes the drive identification string and leaves everything else intact, and crossflashing an external drive to internal firmware usually performs the same as with external firmware.

[QUOTE=Inclandestin;2134280]So then the PIONEER 115/116 could be used as an external. But it’s still manufactured as an internal burner? I wasn’t sure of that. How would the 115/116 compare to a burner that is manufactured as an external burner, such as this one. would there be a significant difference?[/QUOTE]

I have my Pioneer 115D in an external enclosure. It burns beautifully, the only thing is, due to my motherboard/enclosure chipsets, I’m limited to 8x-12x :slight_smile:

I also have an LG E10N (which is a retail external burner) - and the same limits apply with that although, like the Pioneer/enclosure combo, I have no burn problems. :slight_smile:

8-12x would still be an improvement, compared to what I’m getting now.

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll go with an external, since it would be a little less hassle, than the Internal. (I’m not very Tech savvy)

Would anyone care to point me to the top 3- 5 external burners? I think I’ve seen lists for Internal burners, but I don’t recall seeing an external list.

Is the one I posted from amazon pretty good?

LiteOn make good drives :slight_smile:

I’d either go for that (as LiteOn tend to be good with quite a wide range of discs, quality-wise), or an LG (they’re a little more picky regarding media quality, but they’re very well built and excellent burners).

But other members may have even more opinions for you :slight_smile:

My opinion: basically what Madame Arachne said.

If you’re gonna be known excellent media, and you know not to try to go hog-wild with the write speed, use an LG or Samsung external. LG drives do dislike certain disc models, though, but as long as you stay with the normal Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, or even an occasional Sony disc, you should be OK. These drives do well with both CD and DVD burns as long as you stay within a decent write speed range.

If you’re just focusing on burning some of the cheaper DVDs and don’t care about CD burning, though, a LiteOn could be a good match for you. They can usually do decent jobs with normally mediocre media, but do not expect miracles from it. CD writing quality leaves much to be desired.

All the drives tend to do a good job with reading, from what I’ve experienced.

I like both of my LGs [both external], as well as my LiteOn external [and the internals]. I do not have an external Samsung, but I liked the internal versions. No drive can do above 16x on DVD writing without buffer underruns [except some specific situations], but they are all plenty fast enough for me. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2134304]I have my Pioneer 115D in an external enclosure. It burns beautifully, the only thing is, due to my motherboard/enclosure chipsets, I’m limited to 8x-12x :slight_smile:

I also have an LG E10N (which is a retail external burner) - and the same limits apply with that although, like the Pioneer/enclosure combo, I have no burn problems. :)[/QUOTE]
I ended up getting a Lite-on LH-20A1H external burner from Newegg. It’s much faster than my Laptop’s burner. It’s been burning at 8x-16x on my laptop, for the first 4 burns. Using Taiyo Yuden 16x. (TYG03)
My hard drive is full, and I needed a faster burning solution, so I can unload some of them.

Thanks all.