USB Boot? (Sony DRX-S70U)

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRX-S70U. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi there,

Finally manged to find the time to buy a new optical drive…its a Sony DRX-S70U , an external usb burner.

Got it connected to my Vaio’s usb port…at last burnt the DVD ISO of Klikit.

Now another issue, how do I boot with this DVD??

Went into the setup…F2…Enabled External boot, in Advanced.

Than in Boot order changed the order from Int. Optical, hard drive, External Floppy to External Floppy, Internal Hard drive & Internal Optical.

But still wont boot from the usb optical drive though it reads it in My Computer as DVD Drive (F).

In Device manager its set at Secondary IDE channel.

How can I boot from a USB optical drive is the question of the day…This drive is nice quiet & reads all media…but the stupid Matshita optical drive is real Shi_ _ y…Sony must have made loads by using this optical drive.

Hoping to hear from you smart guys!

Regards!

It’s a Sony Vaio VGC-LS1.

In F2 (setup) there is a 4th option of Boot sequence which is Network.

As said earlier External devices are Enabled, but in External devices for boot it only has an option for a Floppy??

But my issue/ question is : Is it possible to boot from a usb optical drive, if yes than how?

What Services in windows should always be enbaled for it…it’s on the Seconday IDE, there are 2 Primary IDE, is it possible to place it on the 2nd Primary to make things easier??

Regards!

Hi,

the ability to boot off an USB optical drive is determined by the Bios. If Sony engineers decided to not support booting off an USB CD/DVD drive, then that’s it.

I am also not able to boot from an USB connected optical drive on my Dell Vostro 1500. So you’re not alone.

Michael

Thanks for the info,

So in short you mean to say I’m scre - -d… lol.

The internal optical Matshita is almost dead, despite that I rarely used it.

What options do I have to boot using an optical media?

How can I use Network in the boot order to install/reinstall an OS etc.

Hoping to hear from you,

Regards!

Hi,[quote=Yezinki;2142559]Thanks for the info,

So in short you mean to say I’m scre - -d… lol.[/quote]Yes.

The internal optical Matshita is almost dead, despite that I rarely used it.
And it even can’t read a commercially pressed CD like a Windows install disc?

What options do I have to boot using an optical media?
In case your warranty has expired, buy a new internal slim drive (not sure if your computer needs even the ultra-slim type).

How can I use Network in the boot order to install/reinstall an OS etc.
I have no personal experience with that, but as far as I know you have to set up a server which is providing the Windows install files. You might browse MS Knowledge base and perhaps also Technet for more detailled information.

Replacing the drive sounds easier.
Perhaps cleaning the lens will help?

Michael

1. Yes it can read Vaio XP MCE DVD, but not a burnt DVD using Nero of Linux OS.

2. What is best way to clean the lens?

Regards!

You can boot installs using a USB memory (unetbootin)
//Danne

[QUOTE=mciahel;2142723]Hi,Yes.
In case your warranty has expired, buy a new internal slim drive (not sure if your computer needs even the ultra-slim type).
I have no personal experience with that, but as far as I know you have to set up a server which is providing the Windows install files. You might browse MS Knowledge base and perhaps also Technet for more detailled information.

Replacing the drive sounds easier.
Perhaps cleaning the lens will help?

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks Michael,

Probably cleaning the lens & burning at lower speeds on the usb drive might help.

Coz it still reads CDs & CDR/RWs but those burnt at very low speeds.

May be after cleaning the lens & burning DVDs at lowest speed will help to boot too…

Regards,

Yezinki.

[quote=Yezinki;2142728]1. Yes it can read Vaio XP MCE DVD, but not a burnt DVD using Nero of Linux OS.[/quote]Okay. Then it’s possibly a poor burn “only”. A not-so-good DVD burner possibly accompanied with not-so-good media.
Consider re-burning using ImgBurn as burning software and good quality media.

1. What is best way to clean the lens?
    This is a slot-in drive? Unless you are ready to disassemble the unit, the only way would be a cleaning disc. But I don’t think, this is necessary.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2142744]Okay. Then it’s possibly a poor burn “only”. A not-so-good DVD burner possibly accompanied with not-so-good media.
Consider re-burning using ImgBurn as burning software and good quality media.
This is a slot-in drive? Unless you are ready to disassemble the unit, the only way would be a cleaning disc. But I don’t think, this is necessary.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi,

The bootable Linux DVDs that it does not read have been burnt using Nero, Verbatim DVD-R & Sony DRX-S70U.

It probably burnt at a faster speed, plus has Power Burn tech to prevent buffer under run errors.

May as said earlier cleaning the lens & burning on Sony at a lowest speed might make the Matshita to read bootable DVDs.

Coz at the moment Matshita is burning a CDRW at 4X 600 KB/s.

keep ya informed.

Thanks again.

Hi,[quote=Yezinki;2142750]
The bootable Linux DVDs that it does not read have been burnt using Nero, Verbatim DVD-R & Sony DRX-S70U.[/quote]Normally, this is good media. 8x burn speed should be okay. Try 6x if this speed is selectable.

May as said earlier cleaning the lens & burning on Sony at a lowest speed might make the Matshita to read bootable DVDs.
The lowest speed isn’t necessarily the best since modern media is optimised for higher speeds.

Coz at the moment Matshita is burning a CDRW at 4X 600 KB/s.
Is this 4x rated media? If not, please check DMA: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

Thanks again.
You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Michael