USB 3.1 standard finalized – brings 1280 MB/s data transfers

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: USB 3.1 standard finalized – brings 1280 MB/s data transfers[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/08/myce-usb3.1-95x75.gif[/newsimage]

An update to the USB standard brings the version number to 3.1. and doubles the speed of USB 3.0 to 10 Gbps.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/usb-3-1-standard-finalized-brings-1280-mbs-data-transfers-68285/](http://www.myce.com/news/usb-3-1-standard-finalized-brings-1280-mbs-data-transfers-68285/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Theorectical crap waste…

I certainly hope this 3.1 Committee included the standards so I can use a punch-awl, chisel and hammer to retrofit USB 2 and 3 connectors.

The killer app for this bandwidth is streaming video and competing with other standards such as HDMI, SATA (ESATA), etc. USB 3.0 is completely adequate for the applications we use today so, going from 640 to 1280 does nothing for the consumer as they can’t fully use the 640 bandwidth up yet. Make usb 3.0 cheaper first… there still is a premium on usb3 products.

[QUOTE=chef;2694900]Theorectical crap waste…[/QUOTE]

Most the numbers that are presented are theoretical, and many factors will also limit those numbers even further. Thats not a problem for me.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2694909]The killer app for this bandwidth is streaming video and competing with other standards such as HDMI, SATA (ESATA), etc. USB 3.0 is completely adequate for the applications we use today so, going from 640 to 1280 does nothing for the consumer as they can’t fully use the 640 bandwidth up yet. Make usb 3.0 cheaper first… there still is a premium on usb3 products.[/QUOTE]

I agree that most of the users will not benefit from this, as many arent able to get the max of their USB3 ports.
USB3 flash drives are know very cheap and have acceptable read/speeds, and even back in the USB2 days, if you wanted to get the max of your flash drive (and your USB connection) you had to pay something extra to get a premium drive.
This this the way that it was, and probably it will remain the same for a long time.

What I hope that this will bring is much faster and larger USB3 flash drives, and hopefully be able to use this extra bandwidth to boost the system performance. Maybe a flash drive to be used a cache drive to improve productivity, or simply have it as a boot drive for your portable installation of your OS.

That’s all assuming that we will be able to see speeds close to modern SSD’s and sizes higher than 64GB.

These numbers are merely theoretical? Y’mean the computer industry doesn’t really deliver on it’s hype?!! Wow! Who’da thunk it! And me, still waiting to see “ten times the speed” between 10BaseT and 100BaseT.

I do wonder about The Killer App and since the TV industry has USB ports on a good many unit, will “video” be part of that service? All they’d need is a Player ROM to accept CD, DVD, BluRay, BD2 or whatever - and then “play” the USB stick or seek out whatever files are in some root directory of that attached device.

If they’d accept a standardized Menuing System, then an External Drive could be loaded up with video-files, fronted by that Standardized Menu and let the TV’s remote do the rest. If only-!

This is cool, but Thunderbolt 2 is already debuting as early as later this year and it is twice the speed as USB 3.1. I’d rather see widespread adoption of Thunderbolt ports in devices.

Twice the speed is great. But at what price? Three or four times? Ten times the price? More? I think Thunderbolt (Intel) to consider “value position” not this “I only have to sell one!” mentality. While there’s a prestige factor of driving the Carrera thru a school-zone, there’s always some bottleneck somewhere that restricts speed.

The killer-app for home/indiv use of the highest speed could be System Backup/Restores, but how often would that be used? Once a week? A month? I think a lot of folks do slow backups now and go get lunch, or leave the system running overnight. It consumes a lot of machine-time therefore but very little human time. If the backup was stripped from a 4-hour time-frame into 30 minutes, that’d be great. But I’d still not sit there and watch a machine whirr for 30 minutes. I’d get up and do something else.

Would Video be greatly improved by a data-thruput four times faster than USB? Well, the 4k and 8k videos might need this bandwidth to achieve interactive video.

Or maybe when the KGB opens up all of their vaults to Snowden, he’ll be able to get THEIR secrets much faster working with Thunderbolt. I can hardly wait. The KGB have always been soooo honorable in slaughtering tens of millions, and Snowden can learn so much about their history of humanity.

Well, the usb 3 spec is for about 5 gigabits of bandwidth… and from what I’ve seen of USB 3 flash drives… they have trouble pushing more than 100mb out of them on READ, and fugeddaboudit for write… maybe 75-80 tops…
Top drive’s I’ve seen are 200 read and 95 write (real world is 150 read and 80 write). Still far below usb3 throughput scale (maybe half). Though in 5 years, we could really see a 512mb or 1gb drives churning out 250mb read and 150 write speeds and at prices that aren’t sky high either. Reading & writing to the drive will take a matter of seconds… quite far we’ll have come from 360k, 1.2 & 1.4mb floppies.

Top of the line tablets already represent top of the line desktops circa 2001. Now if we didn’t grow old so fast, that’d be a breakthrough.

Try some of the latest SSD drives on USB 3.0 or USB 3.1, and you will be able to see some difference. I tried Samsung’s 840 250GB on USB 3.0. The drive’s inherent write speed is limited to under 200MB/s so it was impossible to notice great performance gain over USB 2.0 and IEEE 1394. Later generations of SSDs like 840 EVO on USB 3.1 should be at least twice faster.