USB 2 Memorex 52X CD burner seen as USB 1.1?

vbimport

Can anyone help me with this? I plugged my Memorex 52X Maxx USB 2.0 drive into my USB 2.0 port. The computer reported the following:

You have plugged a high speed device in a slow speed port (or something like that).

Take a look at the burn chart attached. It is apparent that the drive is not able to burn at the rated speed. I suspect that this problem is due to the fact that something is messed up with the USB 2.0 drivers.

Have you encountered something similar? How did you correct this.

My signature shows my hardware and software configs.

Thanks,

Bob Shem

Hi Bob,
Just a thought…it sounds to me that the usb2 port on your pc is being seen as usb1. Are you sure that the usb port is usb2 (it should be on your system specs)? Have you looked into the device manager to check? You could try uninstalling/removing the usb ports in the device manager and then restart you pc and the ports should be picked up correctly by the os. Usb drivers are already present on your system with winxp.

I tried all of that, and yes, I am plugged into the correct port.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

@ Bob Shem
It sounds like you know what you are doing, but to be clear on the previous good suggestion by chris@greencottag , you removed all usb devices plugged into your system, went to ‘device manager’ and uninstalled all items listed under ‘usb controllers’(right click, then choose 'uninstall) , then rebooted and then looked in ‘device manager’ to see if there is a ‘usb enhanced host controller’ and an ‘usb 2.0 Root Hub’? If there is, then try to attach the drive and let windows recognize it.

If you followed this procedure and it did not work, then can you post a Nero Infotool output. Run the tool, then click the diskette icon in the infotool toolbar and save as a .txt file, making sure all 8 boxes are checked. Attach to post using the ‘manage attachments’ button in the ‘go advanced’ reply window.

I did as you said and the error message disappeared.

Thanks for your help.

Bob Shem

Oops, I spoke too soon. The error message went away but the transfer rate is still very slow. I was able to confirm that by timing the transfer of files from my desktop to a Maxtor One Touch Firewire/USB2 combo drive. When attached to the Firewire the files transfer very fast. Attached to the USB2 and it slows way down.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob Shem