USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 UPGRADE

I recently purchased a new SATA 1 Terabyte harddrive (Samsung HDSJ). I also bought a SATA to USB adapter. I believe the drive would operate much faster with the USB 3.0. If I buy a card that plugs into the PCI slot that has two USB 3.0 ports will the PCI controller surrport 5GPS or will I need a newer motherboard with PCI-E ? Will the PCI Express card even plug into a older PCI slot ? Thanx for replys.

[QUOTE=VVildMan;2580556]I recently purchased a new SATA 1 Terabyte harddrive (Samsung HDSJ). I also bought a SATA to USB adapter. I believe the drive would operate much faster with the USB 3.0.[/quote]True. Obviously.

If I buy a card that plugs into the PCI slot that has two USB 3.0 ports will the PCI controller surrport 5GPS
This depends on the specs of the controller. But the bottleneck would be the PCI interface of your old computer. I am not sure if USB3.0 cards for PCI even exist - I’d rather prefer a Sata controller card with external port.

or will I need a newer motherboard with PCI-E ?
This would be the best option. But that means, you need an entire new computer.

Will the PCI Express card even plug into a older PCI slot ?
No problem if the hammer is big enough.

Michael

Thank you very much. I will look for a Sata controller card with external port. By the way, Why does Pay Pal offer to be a better way to pay online, but then requirs you have a cretit card.? Am I messing something?

[QUOTE=VVildMan;2580568]Thank you very much. I will look for a Sata controller card with external port. By the way, Why does Pay Pal offer to be a better way to pay online, but then requirs you have a cretit card.? Am I messing something?[/QUOTE]

Using PayPal avoids revealing your credit card details to the site in question since your credit card is then charged by PayPal and not directly by the site you bought the item from.

[B]Wombler[/B]